Australian team for B-G Trophy 2008 : Symonds out, Now McGain also out

h4te

Australia in India 2008-09 Symonds out, McGain in for India Cricinfo staff September 12, 2008 Bryce McGain, the 36-year-old legspinner, is in line for a possible Test debut © Getty Images Andrew Symonds will not play Australia's Tests in India while the incumbent slow bowler Beau Casson has also been overlooked in favour of the uncapped 36-year-old legspinner Bryce McGain. Shane Watson returns to the Test frame and the bowlers Jason Krejza and Peter Siddle are hoping for debuts after joining a 15-man squad with several changes to the group that visited the West Indies this year. Australia are pleased with Ricky Ponting's recovery from wrist surgery and Matthew Hayden, while chosen subject to completely overcoming his ongoing heel injury, is expected to play. One of the biggest question marks was over Symonds, who has averaged 77.70 in Tests in the past 12 months. He was also one of the central figures in the heated home series against India earlier this year, when he was involved in a racism row with Harbhajan Singh. It was widely expected that Symonds would struggle to be in contention having been sent home from Darwin only a fortnight ago due to the team's frustration with his attitude. Andrew Hilditch, the chairman of selectors, said Symonds was now going through a process managed by Cricket Australia to give him the chance to decide on his future. "Cricket Australia has told us that selectors will be advised once Andrew can be considered again for selection and we hope we can look forward to that advice in due course because as we all know, a fit and fully-committed Andrew Symonds can be a world beater," Hilditch said. "In the meantime, our advice was that he was not available to be considered for selection this time." His exclusion leaves Australia without one of their best players of spin and a part-time bowler on a trip where Harbhajan and Anil Kumble could be a handful. Of equal concern to Australia is that their own slow-bowling stocks are thin, with two untested players the preferred options. Casson, McGain and Krejza were expecting a bowl-off of sorts on their Australia A trip to India this month but rain and injuries meant only McGain had a decent opportunity. Casson, who made his Test debut in Barbados in June and is the only frontline spinner with a Cricket Australia contract, sent down just one over against India A in Bangalore before hurting his hamstring. Krejza had no chance to bowl when the second match in Hyderabad was washed out. McGain picked up three wickets in the opening game but missed out on a second-innings spell due to a minor strain to his right shoulder and has been selected subject to fitness. McGain's relative success and strong Pura Cup season for Victoria makes him the likely first-choice spinner just a year after he was working full-time in the IT section of a bank. Having been kept out of state cricket for most of his career by a succession of Victoria slow men including Shane Warne, Colin Miller and Cameron White, McGain now has a good chance of becoming Australia's oldest Test debutant since the 38-year-old Bob Holland in 1984. He will be competing with Krejza, 25, an aggressive offspinner who likes to flight the ball but does not have an especially strong first-class record with 43 wickets at 45.46. He has not managed a five-wicket haul at state level and collected 18 first-class victims at 47.11 in 2007-08, which was his second season with Tasmania having switched from New South Wales. "Bryce McGain was the standout leg-spinner at interstate level last year and we think he is really well suited to the Indian conditions and bowling plans," Hilditch said. "His story is a great example of how those who perform at interstate level will be rewarded. Jason Krejza had a good season for Tasmania last year but is a selection very much for Indian conditions. The selectors felt right-arm finger spinners would perform well in India and Jason now has a chance to prove himself at the international level." Siddle, 23, also comes into the squad fresh from the Australia A trip. A right-arm fast bowler with genuine speed and the ability to swing the ball, Siddle has had three stints at the Academy while establishing himself with Victoria. He has had ongoing back problems and missed more than half the Pura Cup season due to injury in 2007-08, but his 33 wickets at 15.75 from five games highlighted his value as a strike weapon. Siddle is likely to be second in line outside the starting pace attack with Doug Bollinger set for a long-awaited Test debut should the opportunity arise. Ashley Noffke was not included in the squad despite being part of the group that visited the West Indies. Australia must also weigh up how to use Watson, who has replaced Symonds as the seventh batsman. Simon Katich's two Test centuries in the Caribbean make him the likely candidate to fill Symonds' position in the starting 11, although Watson's all-round skills and new-found fitness make him a tempting prospect. Despite being on the international scene for six years Watson has played only three Tests, all of which came in 2005. A terrible run with injuries, particularly hamstring problems, has limited him to on-and-off ODI appearances, although he has now established himself as a quality one-day opener and is hoping to transfer the success to the Test arena. The changing nature of Australia's line-up has left the squad with only four men - Ponting, Hayden, Katich and Michael Clarke - who have played a Test in India. The players depart on September 21 and they will have two warm-up games and nearly a fortnight in India before the first Test in Bangalore, which starts on October 9. Squad Matthew Hayden, Phil Jaques, Ricky Ponting (capt), Michael Hussey, Michael Clarke, Simon Katich, Shane Watson, Brad Haddin (wk), Brett Lee, Jason Krejza, Mitchell Johnson, Peter Siddle, Bryce McGain, Stuart Clark, Doug Bollinger.

This is clearly a crippled Australian side that is touring India. Besides Lee/Clark, they have no established test bowler (in international circuit). Having said this, I am not saying this will be a cakewalk for India, but if India cannot beat this Aussie side (with having an home advantage) then I don't know how exactly would I react.

I expected that Mr. Symonds had tiny chance of getting on the tour. They have a very good batting line up. Bowlers are new, but unfortunately for India, everyone out of form gets into form whenever he plays against India. And we have the uncanny ability to match the opponent & make mess of an easy win scenario [we play as strongly as australia - against australia and as weakly as bangladesh against bangladesh]. I hope we reallly do better against this team in India. But I can only hope.

I expected that Mr. Symonds had tiny chance of getting on the tour. They have a very good batting line up. Bowlers are new' date=' but unfortunately for India, everyone out of form gets into form whenever he plays against India. And we have the uncanny ability to match the opponent & make mess of an easy win scenario [we play as strongly as australia - against australia and as weakly as bangladesh against bangladesh']. I hope we reallly do better against this team in India. But I can only hope.
my thots exactly :two_thumbs_up: Indian cricket always depends upon the quality of opposition

winning the toss and putting up a big total is the key... on that count, MSD has this midas touch with the coin... mohali test will be the toughest for india and if we can even secure a draw there, i think we should clinch this series...

the incumbent slow bowler Beau Casson has also been overlooked in favour of the uncapped 36-year-old legspinner Bryce McGain
this is clearly going by the old saying 'horses for courses'. i dont see any future for mcgain apart from the india series... even indian selectors shud go by this logic and select horses for courses... m karthik shud be played and so is ganguly who lifts his game wen he plays the aussies

winning the toss and putting up a big total is the key... on that count, MSD has this midas touch with the coin... mohali test will be the toughest for india and if we can even secure a draw there, i think we should clinch this series...

the incumbent slow bowler Beau Casson has also been overlooked in favour of the uncapped 36-year-old legspinner Bryce McGain
this is clearly going by the old saying 'horses for courses'. i dont see any future for mcgain apart from the india series... even indian selectors shud go by this logic and select horses for courses... m karthik shud be played and so is ganguly who lifts his game wen he plays the aussies

and I reckon, India will unearth some new talents for australia.. Jason Krejza, Peter Siddle, Bryce McGain and Doug Bollinger.. this is ur chance.. if u cant make a great series in this one.. u will never make one.. India is the perfect bunny for the debutants.. so i think India will keep up its tradition this time as well..

*wears the hat of a cricket fan* Thats terrible news for Australia. Its not a question of whether he is replacable or not, but just the mere luxury of having someone like Symonds means so much to a squad. Aus may have capable replacements, but still, the absence will be felt. *wears the hat of an Indian cricket fan* Thats excellent news for India. Now, could Hayden also remain injured please...:D

The absence won't be felt all that much. Australia can go with a top 6 of Hayden, PJ, Ponting, Hussey, Clarke and Katich. This IMO may be stronger than one with Symonds at 6 (in lieu of Kat), just because of the fact that Katich is the best player of spin in Australia. And he's a handy left arm spinner who could be just as useful as Symmo. I remember telling Dhondy some time ago that the Australian batting lineup could potentially have a lot of cracks in the lower middle order with a trio of such aggressive batsmen in Clarke, Symonds and Haddin. I had expected moments this series where Australia could go from 3/4 down to 5/6 down in very little time if those 3 were at 5, 6 and 7. With Katich in, breaching through the middle order will be a far bigger ask for India. Remember that Symonds' absence all but assures Katich a place now - a man who has cost India a test series win in Australia, and played the pivot for Australia's last series win in India. This is bad news for India. Harbhajan and Kumble will need to really raise their game to combat him.

and I reckon, India will unearth some new talents for australia.. Jason Krejza, Peter Siddle, Bryce McGain and Doug Bollinger.. this is ur chance.. if u cant make a great series in this one.. u will never make one.. India is the perfect bunny for the debutants.. so i think India will keep up its tradition this time as well..
I don think so... Brad Hogg (made his debut) and John McIntyre toured in 1996 and Gavin Robertson in 1998. Except Warne (who himself had nightmares in the 1998 series), and Richie Benaud in the olden days, no other spinner from Australia had been successful in India. It will be the same this time around.
Hayden, PJ, Ponting, Hussey, Clarke and Katich
Hayden: This hayden is way too different from the Hayden who blasted centuries in 2001. He's coming out of an injury and India is a bad place to recove. Hence he's vulnerable. My guess is that he'll play 2 tests at the max, get injured again and pack his bag. Phil Jaques: Its his first time in India. I think our new ball bowlers have had a measure of him during the series in Australia itself. So, in my opinion, he's not much of a threat. He'll be back in the pavilion before the first drinks break. Hussey: Yes - With due respects to Mr. Cricket, he needs to be treated cautiously. Hope he fails on his own Pup: Big mouth. He will shoot his foot himself. Nevertheless, Kumble and co have to come up with a fool proof plan to get him come out of the crease and stupm him... Katich: Little dangerous, but I cant see him winning matches for them on his own. Punter: He he... let me not waste my time and yours by writing abt an injured, lame, coward, sick bastard... Ishant doesnt even have to bowl to him... Just a shake of his long hair locks will make punter pissing in his pants... If he escapes somehow, any spinner who is lucky to play in the XI (the likes of chawla or mishra or ojha) will send him packing... I really cant quite comprehend why this should be called a formidable middle order... Australia are already bleeding. The success for India lies in not letting the bleeding stop...

Symonds out from trip to India!!! Symonds out, McGain in for India http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/indvaus2008/content/current/story/369466.html Andrew Symonds will not play Australia's Tests in India while the incumbent slow bowler Beau Casson has also been overlooked in favour of the uncapped 36-year-old legspinner Bryce McGain. Shane Watson returns to the Test frame and the bowlers Jason Krejza and Peter Siddle are hoping for debuts after joining a 15-man squad with several changes to the group that visited the West Indies this year. Australia are pleased with Ricky Ponting's recovery from wrist surgery and Matthew Hayden, while chosen subject to completely overcoming his ongoing heel injury, is expected to play. One of the biggest question marks was over Symonds, who has averaged 77.70 in Tests in the past 12 months. He was also one of the central figures in the heated home series against India earlier this year, when he was involved in a racism row with Harbhajan Singh. It was widely expected that Symonds would struggle to be in contention having been sent home from Darwin only a fortnight ago due to the team's frustration with his attitude. Andrew Hilditch, the chairman of selectors, said Symonds was now going through a process managed by Cricket Australia to give him the chance to decide on his future. "Cricket Australia has told us that selectors will be advised once Andrew can be considered again for selection and we hope we can look forward to that advice in due course because as we all know, a fit and fully-committed Andrew Symonds can be a world beater," Hilditch said. "In the meantime, our advice was that he was not available to be considered for selection this time." His exclusion leaves Australia without one of their best players of spin and a part-time bowler on a trip where Harbhajan and Anil Kumble could be a handful. Of equal concern to Australia is that their own slow-bowling stocks are thin, with two untested players the preferred options. Casson, McGain and Krejza were expecting a bowl-off of sorts on their Australia A trip to India this month but rain and injuries meant only McGain had a decent opportunity. Casson, who made his Test debut in Barbados in June and is the only frontline spinner with a Cricket Australia contract, sent down just one over against India A in Bangalore before hurting his hamstring. Krejza had no chance to bowl when the second match in Hyderabad was washed out. McGain picked up three wickets in the opening game but missed out on a second-innings spell due to a minor strain to his right shoulder and has been selected subject to fitness. McGain's relative success and strong Pura Cup season for Victoria makes him the likely first-choice spinner just a year after he was working full-time in the IT section of a bank. Having been kept out of state cricket for most of his career by a succession of Victoria slow men including Shane Warne, Colin Miller and Cameron White, McGain now has a good chance of becoming Australia's oldest Test debutant since the 38-year-old Bob Holland in 1984. He will be competing with Krejza, 25, an aggressive offspinner who likes to flight the ball but does not have an especially strong first-class record with 43 wickets at 45.46. He has not managed a five-wicket haul at state level and collected 18 first-class victims at 47.11 in 2007-08, which was his second season with Tasmania having switched from New South Wales. "Bryce McGain was the standout leg-spinner at interstate level last year and we think he is really well suited to the Indian conditions and bowling plans," Hilditch said. "His story is a great example of how those who perform at interstate level will be rewarded. Jason Krejza had a good season for Tasmania last year but is a selection very much for Indian conditions. The selectors felt right-arm finger spinners would perform well in India and Jason now has a chance to prove himself at the international level." Siddle, 23, also comes into the squad fresh from the Australia A trip. A right-arm fast bowler with genuine speed and the ability to swing the ball, Siddle has had three stints at the Academy while establishing himself with Victoria. He has had ongoing shoulder problems and missed more than half the Pura Cup season due to injury in 2007-08, but his 33 wickets at 15.75 from five games highlighted his value as a strike weapon. Siddle is likely to be second in line outside the starting pace attack with Doug Bollinger set for a long-awaited Test debut should the opportunity arise. Ashley Noffke was not included in the squad despite being part of the group that visited the West Indies. Australia must also weigh up how to use Watson, who has replaced Symonds as the seventh batsman. Simon Katich's two Test centuries in the Caribbean make him the likely candidate to fill Symonds' position in the starting 11, although Watson's all-round skills and new-found fitness make him a tempting prospect. Despite being on the international scene for six years Watson has played only three Tests, all of which came in 2005. A terrible run with injuries, particularly hamstring problems, has limited him to on-and-off ODI appearances, although he has now established himself as a quality one-day opener and is hoping to transfer the success to the Test arena. The changing nature of Australia's line-up has left the squad with only four men - Ponting, Hayden, Katich and Michael Clarke - who have played a Test in India. The players depart on September 21 and they will have two warm-up games and nearly a fortnight in India before the first Test in Bangalore, which starts on October 9. Squad: Matthew Hayden, Phil Jaques, Ricky Ponting (capt), Michael Hussey, Michael Clarke, Simon Katich, Shane Watson, Brad Haddin (wk), Brett Lee, Jason Krejza, Mitchell Johnson, Peter Siddle, Bryce McGain, Stuart Clark, Doug Bollinger