Is Ponting really that great?

umpire

Fontaine and msb vying for the post of our resident expert on pace bowling?:D good,expert analysis fontaine :two_thumbs_up:
:icflove: Thanks but msb knows a lot more about the subject. I just know a lot about our guys like Ishant/Pathan/RP/Khan but not much about most other fast bowlers, because frankly, I don't care about them. Watching our guys evolve into world beaters is enough for me...... I mean seriously, Sharma and Khan may lack the ferocity and venom of the old crew from the West Indies (partly becuase there is low bounce so far) but the highlights of the fast bowling so far from India would stack up well against any attack of the last 30 years.

He was absolutely Bradmanesque from 2001 to 2006. One thing that has lifted Ponting's profile immensely is the timing of his runs. Many of 100s have come in incredibly important circumstances; First day of the first test of a new Ashes series, 4th innings chases etc. He's always made his mark, when the team needed it the most.

Ponting can get 20000 runs if he wants ... but Sachin and Lara will always be better than him because of the way they literally carried their respective teams for over a decade facing some of the best bowlers the world has ever seen ... The likes of ... Ambrose, Akram, Waqar, Walsh, Donald, Warne, Muralitharan, Saqlain, etc. Add to that the pitches back then werent as flat as they are now. There wasnt any T20 cricket or these bouncer restrictions, or powerplays. Ponting can get 50000 runs ... but Sachin and Lara were, are and always will be better than Ponting because of the way the scored their runs, the opposition they faced, the pressure and intense spotlight they were under and the lack of support from the rest of their team.