Lara tips Ponting as next record-holder

Sachinism

"to still be scoring as consistently as he is shows a great ability to adapt to all conditions" Consistently ? This run was this year - between January and October: 13,0,27,12,5,31,6,13,14
:hysterical: Talk about taken out of context. Why dont you mention what preceded that? Or what followed that? Or the fact that he had 2 injuries in that time. But yea Im sure you're right and the whole cricket world is wrong. Maybe Sachin cant score consistently, and all these people that have actually played the game and know the game very well are wrong. You know what maybe you should take up a role with Sky Sports or Star Sports or Channel 9, because quite clearly you've proved the whole cricket world wrong. Maybe you should mention how Sachin cant score consistently ... Im sure you'll be taken seriously after that.

What period are these stats taken over? You have just taken random patches in his career, with no mention of the number of months between innings or anything. Its all well and good to have a swipe at the Aussie journos for taking Gilly's comments out of context, but then you pull these stats out of context too. But no ... you're right. 12,000 runs @ 54. His lowest average against any country is 35 against SAF. His lowest average in any country is 40 in SAF. Plus he is the only batsman to score more than one hundred against every Test playing nation in the world. He has score centuries in every nation besides Zimbabwe. Look Im not sure if you have a point or not so let me ask you this point blank so I dont falsely accuse you of anything. Are you actually telling me ... that Sachin Tendulkar has not been able to score runs consistently? Yes or No?

Let me answer the first part. Out of context ? Quite the contrary. I researched them in reply to Ravi's claims about Ponting making low scores after big ones.. I didn't look for random patches at all. Those runs were consecutive innings following a century. Feel free to check for yourself: http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/player/35320.html?class=1;template=results;type=batting;view=innings Re. your last question. Make up your own mind after activating that link. You will notice he scored 20 and under over 100 times in his 248 innings. Draw your own conclusions.

You will notice he scored 20 and under over 100 times in his 248 innings. Draw your own conclusions.
That is interesting. I wonder how this compares to other top-level batsmen of the past and present? One would have to do that analysis in order to have a measure on what this actually represents. Also would have to look at clustering in these low scores as well and what they correlate with, if anything. Intriguing. By the way...here is an interesting stat site if you all haven't yet come across it: http://www.howstat.com.au Sachin's record: http://www.howstat.com.au/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerOverview.asp?PlayerID=1735 Ponting's record: http://www.howstat.com.au/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerOverview.asp?PlayerID=2041 Click on batting graph for a bar chart.

Thanks mate. Yes, I find it very interesting. I did an analysis of SRT, BCL, RP and Dravid in ICF, maybe a year ago. I've been trying to find it but can't (as yet). The results quite surprised me. Not so much that Ponting came out on top of most of the comparisons but how often greats like BCL & SRT had failed - that is, 20 or under in Test innings. These stats and comparisons don't particularly prove anything. For a start there's the simple matter of those mentioned not having to face their own attacks. Punter's never faced McWarne/Dizzy etc. in Tests just as Sach and Rahul haven't faced AK/Bhajji on Indian wickets. When Charlie started, the Windies boasted an attack of Ambrose, Marshall, Bishop and Walsh. :regular_smile:

One thing that is showing up immediately though, is the performance in recent years...since 2004 to present, Sachin has 8 centuries whereas Ponting has 16 centuries (both including doubles). This is looking ominous for Sachin unless he shakes of his injury issues that have hampered him...he has definitely been trailing off in the last few years. Whereas Ponting seems to be in a rich vein of form aside from a few patches. Hmmmm...what does the future hold, I wonder? Should be most interesting.

enter jacques kallis, the greatest batsman the world has ever seen. and a universal cure for insomnia.
:cantstop:
Let me answer the first part. Out of context ? Quite the contrary. I researched them in reply to Ravi's claims about Ponting making low scores after big ones.. I didn't look for random patches at all. Those runs were consecutive innings following a century. Feel free to check for yourself: http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/player/35320.html?class=1;template=results;type=batting;view=innings Re. your last question. Make up your own mind after activating that link. You will notice he scored 20 and under over 100 times in his 248 innings. Draw your own conclusions.
I know they were consecutive innings following a century but they give no insight into the length of time between matches. For instance Ponting played a test match on Jan 2 2007. His next test was in November 2007, but technincally those are consecutive tests. If a player gets injured or what not, this doesnt get factored into this statistic. As you said its pretty much meaningless. Historically, Tendulkar has been very consistent and any cricket expert in the world will tell you that, and whenever he gets a big score it usually triggers several big scores after. I mean you cant score 12,000 runs @ 54 with 39 centuries (scored all over the world against every team in the world) with a highest score of only 248* (small compared to Lara and Sehwag) without being consistent. You cant compare Ponting now to Tendulkar now because Ponting is at the peak of his career, whereas Tendulkar is probably in his last few years. Even still Tendulkar is still scoring quite consistently. Ponting may suffer an extended form slump over the next few years which could screw up his statistics.
Bharat, please take the blinkers off. Your last post declares: ".. Tendulkar is still scoring quite consistently." This year in Tests, between January and October: 13,0,27,12,5,31,6,13,14 - 9 innings in a row between 0 & 31.
Yea by 9 innings in a row ... its not like they were in a close space of time. This is what i was trying to say. in between the 13 and the 0 he had an injury. Then in between the 0 and the 27 he had another major injury and 4 months off. To prove how silly ur stats are u took the stats midway between matches. Before that 13 he made a 153 and after that 13 (you have the 13 and 14 the wrong way around) he made an important 49. The next innings he backed that up with a solid 88. He has had 1 bad series in the past 2 years. There are no blinkers ... That is plainly and simply the truth!!!

Now you can pick random patches as much as you want but the fact remains that since 2007 he has scored 1447 runs from 18 matches @ 50. This includes 4 tons and 8 fifties. Add to that a Man of the Series performance against the worlds best team. These are his performances over the past 2 years http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/player/35320.html?class=1;spanmax1=31+Dec+2008;spanmin1=01+Jan+2007;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting;view=innings id say thats reasonably consistent.

Whatever, Bharat. :regular_smile: Let me add in the ones you mentioned: 153,13,0,27,12,5,31,6,14,13,49,88. So, now we have a 153 and an 88 bookending 10 consecutive scores of under fifty - 7 of them under 20. . You have gone from, "to still be scoring as consistently as he is" to "quite consistently" to "reasonably consistently" on this page alone. Maybe the word, 'consistent' is the problem here. It certainly doesn't describe SRT's batting career. He has had 242 innings and scored or passed 50 on 89 occasions. He turned 39 of them into centuries or better. At the other end of the scale, he has 159 scores of under 50 - 58 between 21 & 49 and 101 of 20 or less. That hardly fits the word. Consistent (adjective): the same throughout in structure or composition