Lara tips Ponting as next record-holder

Sachinism

Brian Lara believes that Ricky Ponting can eventually take the Test run-scoring record from Sachin Tendulkar, who overtook Lara's mark of 11,953 runs on Friday. Lara said there was no better person he could have passed the mantle on to than Tendulkar, who he said had been "a great for so many years". Lara held the world record for nearly three years, having passed Allan Border's milestone in Adelaide in November 2005. Tendulkar is nearly two years older than Ponting and has a lead of almost 2000 runs on him, but Lara expects Ponting to be the next man to top the Test tally. "I would think that he [Ponting] still has 30 or 40 Tests matches

under his belt," Lara said while visiting Australia this week. "He has already gone past 10,000 runs, so it is one of those records that if you play long enough and you score runs consistently, you are capable of doing it." Tendulkar, 35, overhauled Lara's total during the second Test against Australia in Mohali. Lara knew his record would not stand forever and he said he was pleased that it was Tendulkar who succeeded him as the greatest run scorer. "[There is] no better individual or batsman in the world that could go past you, or maybe you can pass the mark on to, than Sachin Tendulkar," Lara said. "He has been a great for so many years and is someone who is deserving of such a record. So I just want to wish him the best. "To have held it for a couple of years is good. [i have] a couple more records in the bag so I've still got a few to hold on to. But it's a feeling that I've had my opportunity. To get there first of all and to achieve it and hold that mark for a period of time is great in itself. There was no sadness at all."

To be honest, in all likeliness, he will take that record from Sachin. I dislike Ponting for his comments in the media but I have the highest regards for him as a player. He has done well in all situations for Australia (perhaps not in this tour so far but generally speaking, he has stood up). Keeping that in mind, he is only 33 right now. If he will play until 36 or 37- which he can given his terrific physical fitness right now, it is inevitable for him to cross the record.

Frankly, with the lead that Tendulkar has established coupled with his form and the fact that Ponitng's spot in the side is tied to his captaincy, I don't see him crossing Tendulkar. 2 years back I would have backed him to do it but an average of 40 over the last 15 tests doesn't bode well. Moreover, Morkel and Steyn would be watching this series very carefully.

To be honest' date=' in all likeliness, he will take that record from Sachin. I dislike Ponting for his comments in the media but I have the highest regards for him as a player. He has done well in all situations for Australia (perhaps not in this tour so far but generally speaking, he has stood up). [b']Keeping that in mind, he is only 33 right now. If he will play until 36 or 37- which he can given his terrific physical fitness right now, it is inevitable for him to cross the record.[/QUOTE] He's 33 and 308 days old!! he might still play 2011 Ashes and in all likelihood Sach too will be playing till 2011 WC..so for Ponting to overtake Sach,he has to be in great form throught and hope for a drastic dip in form with Sach.
2 years back I would have backed him to do it but an average of 40 over the last 15 tests doesn't bode well.
Maybe you should brush up on your maths, Shwetty. :regular_smile: Ponting has played 31 Tests less than Tendulkar. At a 40 average (about 70 runs per Test considering he'll miss some second innings), he'll have around 400 runs more than Sach, at the same mark (152 Tests).

And then there is a practical possibility that Ponting will retire before Tendulkar does. If Tendulkar carries on for another two years, he may very well take the record to a level where it would be impossible for anyone to break it. If Ponting does not break it, the record might just stay there for a very very long time considering the fact that we may see a decline in the number of tests played in the future.

>Ponting has played 31 Tests less than Tendulkar. At a 40 average (about 70 runs per Test considering he'll miss some second innings), he'll have around 400 runs more than Sach, at the same mark (152 Tests). 31 test will be around 3 years of cricket. And Sachin ain't retiring soon, so lets say it will be touch and go for Ponting. Not that easy to break the record.

Maybe you should brush up on your maths, Shwetty. :regular_smile: Ponting has played 31 Tests less than Tendulkar. At a 40 average (about 70 runs per Test considering he'll miss some second innings), he'll have around 400 runs more than Sach, at the same mark (152 Tests).
31 tests is a good 3 years of cricket. Will Ponting last that long? Moreover, Tendulkar is certain to play for another 2 years at least, so we are actually talking about Ponting lasting 4-5 years more at the bare minimum. He can, but a lot depends on whether he can keep captaining his sides to some crucial series wins over the next year. If Australia lose this series to India and one of the South Africa series/Ashes over the next year with a 30s average from Ponting, I expect a farewell soon given how the Aussie selectors have operated in the past.
31 tests is a good 3 years of cricket. Will Ponting last that long? Moreover' date=' Tendulkar is certain to play for another 2 years at least, so we are actually talking about Ponting lasting 4-5 years more at the bare minimum. He can, but a lot depends on whether he can keep captaining his sides to some crucial series wins over the next year. If Australia lose this series to India and one of the South Africa series/Ashes over the next year with a 30s average from Ponting, I expect a farewell soon given how the Aussie selectors have operated in the past.[/quote'] if you see Aussies selectors in recent past , yes they have asked their seniors players to exit, that is going to haunt them for sure now, Aussies were so confident in their system they thought they could replace all those legends and that is haunting them already. Allan Border was held on for long time before he could retire because Aussie's team was going thru exact same transition period then right after retirement of Lillee, Marsh and Chappell.AB was way past his prime but they didnt have any replacements for him and same thing might happen to Ricky he might be there to see thru this transition period way past his prime too.So he might be there for long time to break all the records.

The key thing I believe will be the dominance of the aussie team around him over the next few years. If it wanes considerably, then I think we will see that his batting will also suffer. Batting in a team that is dominant and from a position of confidence is far different from batting under pressure of a dominant opposition. This will be a telling difference. If he continues to make runs this way around, then yes, he will break the record and deserves his place up there as well. Of course, this is academic if the aussies maintain their dominance. However, I think we are seeing this dominance begin to give a little.

Aussies are going through the transition right now at least bowling-wise. They haven't a replacement for Warne and Mcgrath. Also, no replacement for Gilchrist. Batting-wise: Haydon will probably go in a year most likely. Ponting, I would give 2/3 years max. He is a mediocre captain who was carried by his bowlers most of the time. His captaincy will come into question more and more now. Hussey probably 2/3 years. So, I don't think he will break SRT's record unless SRT retires right now. My fear is that KP might break SRT's record but it is long long long way off at the moment.

Aussies are going through the transition right now at least bowling-wise. They haven't a replacement for Warne and Mcgrath. Also, no replacement for Gilchrist. Batting-wise: Haydon will probably go in a year most likely. Ponting, I would give 2/3 years max. He is a mediocre captain who was carried by his bowlers most of the time. His captaincy will come into question more and more now. Hussey probably 2/3 years. So, I don't think he will break SRT's record unless SRT retires right now. My fear is that KP might break SRT's record but it is long long long way off at the moment.
KP ??? are you English ? where did that some from, 10,000 runs in 7 years asking a bit too much !!!

I have a feeling that we will see Tendulkar at his peak again and that Ponting wont even come close to his tally in the end. Sachin has always maintained that his slow and conservative game of late has been more for the team than anything else. He showed in Australia that he is still quite capable of making mockery of top bowling attacks at will. He has been playing a different game lately because thats what has been asked of him. I think once Dhoni takes over, we will see the vintage Sachin once again. Dhoni is a fearless leader and his only instruction for Tendulakar would be "Go out and kick a**". And kick a** he will. Once he is set free from the so called responsibilities in the team, he will race at a speed that no one can catch up with. He will pick up so many records of such magnitude that anyone trying to chase will be blinded.

KP is not even in the question : That guy will be very very lucky to get to 10,000 runs in the first place. Simply speaking, he doesnt have time as his ally - he is already in his late 20s and has a very very long way to go. No, i think apart from Ponting, serious challenge will come from Graeme Smith, IF he can keep his average in the 47-50 range ( ie, score roughly 80-100 runs per test). He is younger than KP, has a lot of runs and his batting style makes me think he can bat well into his late 30s.