Gilly lashes out at Sachin, calls him a bad sport, liar.

Holysmoke

This is just another journalistic beat up. Wasn't it common knowledge Tendulkar changed his story ? In the first instance, saying he was too far away to hear what had been said and then coming up with a different version. That's all Gilly has repeated. The other bit ? So Sach doesn't shake hands in the dressing room when India loses. Big deal. :roll::sleep: It's Glenn Jackson (the journo) who put the slant on this.

This is just another journalistic beat up. Wasn't it common knowledge Tendulkar changed his story ? In the first instance, saying he was too far away to hear what had been said and then coming up with a different version. That's all Gilly has repeated. The other bit ? So Sach doesn't shake hands in the dressing room when India loses. Big deal. :roll::sleep: It's Glenn Jackson (the journo) who put the slant on this.
Common knowledge according to whatever the Aussie media tells you. Tendulkar initially told Proctor that he heard some form of abuse (but didnt say anything else). In the next hearing, he said he heard the abusive term "Teri Maa ki". The case didnt faulter because of Tendulkar. The case failed because there was no evidence. Even the Aussies ... the guys that accused him ... weren't sure. Imagine if Glenn McGrath had been put through the same stuff that Harbhajan had been put through after the Sri Lankans accused McGrath of calling Jayasuriya a "black monkey". Talk about different strokes for different folks. It seems you can't accuse an Aussie of anything, from racism (McGrath) , to match-fixing (Mark Waugh and Shane Warne), to taking banned substances (Shane Warne).
You dont comprehend. Its different. When Gilly accuses Sachin of something, the burden of proof is on Gilly. Here Sachin is the accused and its Sachin who is innocent till proven guilty. Just like in that match Symonds along with some other Australian players, accused Harbhajan of racial abuse. Harbhajan was the accused and therefore, he was innocent till proven guilty. Like that, Gilly today accuses Sachin of something and Sachin remains innocent till proven guilty. The burden of producing a proof lies with Gilly.
well said...:hatsoff:

Take the blinkers off, fellas. :regular_smile: All Gilchrist did was to comment on SRT's 2 different versions of the one incident, nothing more. I see the headline also says Gilly called him a 'bad sport'. He didn't. More sensationalist claptrap. What he actually said was this: "Not all their players could be found, which points to another subtle cultural difference. In the Australian mentality, we play it hard and are then quick to shake hands and leave it all on the field. Some of our opponents don't do it that way. Sachin Tendulkar, for instance, can be hard to find for a changing room handshake after we have beaten India. Harbhajan can also be hard to find. I guess it's a case of different strokes for different folks."

Nowhere did I accuse Sachin of lying "Gilly" Adam Gilchrist has insisted that he did not accuse Sachin Tendulkar of lying while presenting evidence in the racism hearing after the controversial Sydney Test. He also denied calling him a “bad sport†after observing that it was often hard to locate Tendulkar for an after-match handshake following Indian losses. Gilchrist's comments, quoted from his soon-to-be released autobiography True Colours, caused a stir in India and both players confirmed they had spoken to each other and agreed that the remarks were taken out of context. The main issue surrounded the racism hearing of the Indian offspinner Harbhajan Singh. Harbhajan was accused of racially abusing Andrew Symonds and was suspended for three Tests but later had his ban overturned on appeal. Tendulkar was batting with Harbhajan when the incident occurred and Gilchrist observed that the evidence Tendulkar gave during the match referee’s hearing was different from that he presented during the appeal. “All I stated are the facts that everyone knows, that initially Sachin mentioned he wasn't sure what Harbhajan had said, then later confirmed his support when Harbhajan said he'd used a Hindi word in the heated exchange with Symonds,†Gilchrist wrote in his column for the Times of India. “Nowhere do I accuse Sachin of lying. So to have spoken directly with Sachin about these matters was a great relief for me. “I am pleased to say that at the conclusion of our chat the same respect Sachin and I have always had for each other continues to exist. The headlines arose from the manner in which some journalists interpreted a couple of points I have made in an about-to-be released autobiography.†Gilchrist said the Harbhajan hearing was too big an issue to ignore in his book. “My only real reference to it was to recall the way the events unfolded from the initial hearing, the night the match finished, through to the final judicial hearing a few weeks later.†Gilchrist said the references to Tendulkar not shaking his hand in the changing rooms after Tests were merely to highlight the cultural differences between the two countries. He said he never intended to question Tendulkar’s sportsmanship. “In the book, I mention that a cultural difference between our team and that of the Indians was the importance of shaking hands with the opposition after a loss," he said. "It's simply my thoughts and from my experiences it seemed that this routine wasn't as important to some oppositions as it was in Australia, where it is drilled into us from an early age. â€I made the comment that Sachin and Harbhajan were sometimes not around to shake hands. Whether that is right or wrong is not my point. It was more the cultural differences I was trying to highlight, which it's fair to say, have been integral in most disputes or flare-ups between these two proud nations in the past.†Gilchrist said he had nothing against India and that he had always enjoyed touring the country. “I also feel that people who know me, or people who read the book in its entirety, will know only too well the sincere affection I have for India as a country and the very friendly, passionate people that live here.â€

Just indicates how misinformed you are. Waugh & Warne were fined and Warne was banned for a year "Shane Warne and Mark Waugh fined up to $15,000 for giving information to Indian bookie during 1994 tour of Sri Lanka." : http://www.theage.com.au/articles/1998/12/09/1060588497968.html
I didnt say they didnt get penalised. Yeah they were punished but they got lesser penalties. Warne & Waugh said they gave bookies pitch & weather information only. I find it hard to believe that someone would pay $15,000 for information most curators would tell you for free. At least when the Indians found their players guilty they gave them life bans. As for the diuretic ... Its actually a common steroid masking agent. Coincidently Warnie also made a "miraculous" recovery from an injury during the preceding one day series that was originally thought to rule him out for the entire world cup. Whats one thing many athletes have taken in the past to help recover from injuries quickly? Thats right ! And its not 'Momma's little pills'. Taking a diuretic would mean that if we were caught ... he would only have to admit to taking a diuretic and cop a lesser ban. If he were caught on steroids ... he would have received the full 2 year ban and be tainted as a 'drug cheat'. Warnie knew full well what he was doing.

To be perfectly honest ... Its highly unlikely that Sachin would ever purposely not shake someone's hand after a match. Even Harbhajan, during the heated ODI series, would shake the hands of Hayden and Symonds. It was probably that Sachin was doing something else at the time. Maybe he was in the bathroom.

An open letter to Adam Gilchrist Dear Adam Gilchrist, You may or may not know it, but you are one of the most admired cricketers in India. First, as the game’s greatest wicketkeeperbatsman who, on his day, could decimate any attack (including our own). Second, because you were ever the gentleman cricketer, a smiling assassin who played cricket fair and square, who walked without waiting for the umpire to give him out and was sportsmanlike to the core. But now you have brought out your autobiography True Colours, and you have revealed, well, your true colours. For in it you have implied that our national icon, Sachin Tendulkar, is dishonest and a bad sport. We might buy your book to read more of these titillating bits, but sorry, we won’t buy your arguments. You know why? It’s because you start with a handicap; we know our Tendulkar, and know him well. Your bigger handicap, and there is no polite way of saying this, is this: you are an Australian cricketer. For years, Australian cricketers have touted some self-serving beliefs. One is that they aren’t arrogant, just self-confident. The second is that the team’s sledging isn’t obnoxious, just good-natured banter. The third, and the most convenient, is (to quote you) ‘‘In the Australia mentality, we play it hard and are then quick to shake hands and leave it all on the field.’’ How very nice for you! Abuse your opponents on the field, pass comments about their spouse’s sex lives (when a Graham Thorpe is batting and news has leaked out his wife is having an affair, say to him. Hey Graham, who’s your wife sleeping with tonight?), say rude things about a batsman’s parentage (or the lack of it), and leave it all on the field? Then shake hands, all is forgiven, no offence meant, let’s chill over a beer? And if you really do believe in leaving it all on the field, how come after so many months Monkeygate still rankles? Shouldn’t you be saying, ‘Hey Bhajji, what a great joke, no offence taken, now how about a lager?’ You won’t say that because for an Australian cricketer there are two standards, one for themselves, another for the rest of the world. When the contentious Sydney Test was over, and the Indian captain—in an act of supreme sportsmanship—put out his hand, there were no Australian hands around to shake. Why be hypocritical and go looking for Tendulkar’s hand to shake in the dressing room later? It’s about time you looked truth in the face. You could start with the incident when your vice-captain Michael Clarke claimed a catch in the slips and your captain Ricky Ponting confirmed to the umpire it was a fair take, though replays have shown that the ball had first hit the ground. Would you have left that incident on the ground if two opposition players had been involved instead? Something tells me that you would not. Something tells me that you would have had something to say about different cultures and called your opponents downright cheats. Signed — Anil Dharker http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Default/Scripting/ArticleWin.asp?From=Archive&Source=Page&Skin=TOI&BaseHref=TOIM/2008/10/25&PageLabel=27&EntityId=Ar02702&ViewMode=HTML&GZ=T

Yea dont you see how hypocritical and self-righteous it is for the Aussies to say Bhajji "got off" for racial vilification (even though they had no proof) when their own players have been "getting off" for a while now. By the way ... comparing apples with apples ... what happened to Glenn McGrath when he was accused of calling Sanath a "black monkey"?

Dear Adam Gilchrist, You may or may not know it, but you are one of the most admired cricketers in India. First, as the game’s greatest wicketkeeperbatsman who, on his day, could decimate any attack (including our own). Second, because you were ever the gentleman cricketer, a smiling assassin who played cricket fair and square, who walked without waiting for the umpire to give him out and was sportsmanlike to the core. But now you have brought out your autobiography True Colours, and you have revealed, well, your true colours. For in it you have implied that our national icon, Sachin Tendulkar, is dishonest and a bad sport. We might buy your book to read more of these titillating bits, but sorry, we won’t buy your arguments. You know why? It’s because you start with a handicap; we know our Tendulkar, and know him well. Your bigger handicap, and there is no polite way of saying this, is this: you are an Australian cricketer. For years, Australian cricketers have touted some self-serving beliefs. One is that they aren’t arrogant, just self-confident. The second is that the team’s sledging isn’t obnoxious, just good-natured banter. The third, and the most convenient, is (to quote you) ‘‘In the Australia mentality, we play it hard and are then quick to shake hands and leave it all on the field.’’ How very nice for you! Abuse your opponents on the field, pass comments about their spouse’s sex lives (when a Graham Thorpe is batting and news has leaked out his wife is having an affair, say to him. Hey Graham, who’s your wife sleeping with tonight?), say rude things about a batsman’s parentage (or the lack of it), and leave it all on the field? Then shake hands, all is forgiven, no offence meant, let’s chill over a beer? And if you really do believe in leaving it all on the field, how come after so many months Monkeygate still rankles? Shouldn’t you be saying, ‘Hey Bhajji, what a great joke, no offence taken, now how about a lager?’ You won’t say that because for an Australian cricketer there are two standards, one for themselves, another for the rest of the world. When the contentious Sydney Test was over, and the Indian captain—in an act of supreme sportsmanship—put out his hand, there were no Australian hands around to shake. Why be hypocritical and go looking for Tendulkar’s hand to shake in the dressing room later? It’s about time you looked truth in the face. You could start with the incident when your vice-captain Michael Clarke claimed a catch in the slips and your captain Ricky Ponting confirmed to the umpire it was a fair take, though replays have shown that the ball had first hit the ground. Would you have left that incident on the ground if two opposition players had been involved instead? Something tells me that you would not. Something tells me that you would have had something to say about different cultures and called your opponents downright cheats. Signed — Anil Dharker
well said...typical aussie 2 faced mentality.

Gilchrist's exclusive column for Times of India.. I admire Sachin, have not called him a liar: Gilchrist 25 Oct, 2008 0648hrs IST, There were headlines around the cricketing globe on Friday suggesting that I had accused Indian batting great Sachin Tendulkar of being a bad sport and also that he had lied when giving evidence in the Harbhajan Singh racial vilification hearing earlier this year. Neither of these accusations is true and I felt strongly enough on this to immediately ring Sachin once it was brought to my attention, to explain to him. I am pleased to say that at the conclusion of our chat the same respect Sachin and I have always had for each other continues to exist. The headlines arose from the manner in which some journalists interpreted a couple of points I have made in an about-to-be released autobiography. In the book, I mention that a cultural difference between our team and that of the Indians was the importance of shaking hands with the opposition after a loss. It's simply my thoughts and from my experiences it seemed that this routine wasn't as important to some oppositions as it was in Australia, where it is drilled into us from an early age. I made the comment that Sachin and Harbhajan were sometimes not around to shake hands. Whether that is right or wrong sis not my point. It was more the cultural differences I was trying to highlight, which it's fair to say, have been integral in most disputes or flare-ups between these two proud nations in the past. Nowhere do I accuse Sachin of being a bad sport. With respect to the Harbhajan hearing, I obviously had to address it in the book as it was such a huge issue last summer and too big to ignore. That said, my only real reference to it was to recall the way the events unfolded from the initial hearing, the night the match finished, through to the final judicial hearing a few weeks later. All I stated are the facts that everyone knows, that initially Sachin mentioned he wasn't sure what Harbhajan had said, then later confirmed his support when Harbhajan said he'd used a Hindi word in the heated exchange with Symonds. Nowhere do I accuse Sachin of lying. So to have spoken directly with Sachin about these matters was a great relief for me. I have always admired his amazing cricketing ability and have spoken regularly about how I believe he has set the finest example of how to handle fame and the extraordinary public profile that comes with being an Indian cricketing superstar. I also feel that people who know me, or people who read the book in its entirety, will know only too well the sincere affection I have for India as a country and the very friendly, passionate people that live here. I have always enjoyed touring here, and most importantly have many strong friendships in India. For those reasons and for my personal friendship with Sachin, I was most concerned that a few off-the-mark headlines and interpretations of my book could possibly sour those friendships. Thankfully, that hasn't occurred and I look forward to visiting these shores both as a cricketer and personally, for many years to come.

To be perfectly honest ... Its highly unlikely that Sachin would ever purposely not shake someone's hand after a match.
To be perfectly honest ?? Mate, it's not about you and it's not about onfield handshakes after a match. It's about what happens in the dressing room. SRT: "Before, during and after the match I don't like to enter the opposition dressing-room as it is not my culture," Tendulkar said. "But I have nothing against other cultures. I have never walked off a ground without shaking the opposition players' hands."