If we bowl first, do we have what it takes to bowl Australia out cheaply and win?

bharat297

If we bowl first, do we have what it takes to bowl Australia out cheaply and win?  

1. 1.

• Yes! Of course
    • No! Probably not
    • Maybe / Unsure

No doubt that if we win the toss and bat first and post a big score, I am pretty sure we can win the match from there. However, what happens if we lose the toss ... Indian pitches are notorious for being tailored to suit the teams that bat first. My question is ... if we end up bowling first ... given the pitch and our bowling lineup ... can we bowl Australia out cheaply and then turn the game around and win the match?

Its simple (of course easier said than done). If India gets to bat second, then we have to pile on the runs and have a lead of around 125-150. This would really send shivers down the aussies camp and I think the 2nd time batting jitters would get the Aussies. But if India are set a target of 250-300, then our batsmen might feel the pinch of Clark's nagging line and length and Johnson's "pace"

A lot will depend on the first hr after that its going to be smooth sailing for batsman, if hayden survives till lunch then he will score big; ponting has already got a 100 could very well get another one, hussey clark are quality batsman. One can keep talking about how inexperienced this aussie team is ; but its still a very strong side which bats deep and a lower order of haddin, watson,white not only can score big but they also score quick. Are we fav ? ofcourse we are BUT lets show aus some respect, they are No 1 test team for a reason.

If India bowl first then I expect more of the same as what's been happening. Both Hayden and Ponting so far have failed to adjust to the lower bounce on Indian pitches which has opened up opportunities for LBW's and deliveries seaming into their off stump. Both Sharma and Zaheer look to be in fine form in terms of their accuracy and control and the key is going to be how they deal with the new batsmen on the crease. In recent history the Kotla test has aided the fast bowlers on the first two days so it wouldn't be too bad if we can bowl first given how our bowlers are in good form. One thing is for sure though. Ishant Sharma's ability to create awkward angles to the right hand batsmen creates a lot of problems. I've seen him bowl close and wide of the stumps and still be able to get that angle pitching into the right hander's off stump which is very difficult for new batsmen to handle unless their footwork is great. I'm not sure if the ball will reverse swing early but if there is little to no movement for the seamers with the new ball, then undoubtedly the Indians will try to roughen up one side to get something going. I believe Kumble is playing so we need him to shake off his poor form and really come into the game because we can't afford to let off here when the Aussies are down. This is all important because Kumble will be bowling the majority of the overs in the first innings and with four bowlers we simply can not afford to have him perform like he did in the last few test matches. It would be good if Bhajji plays simply because of his experience and batting ability but Mishra will do fine as well on a track that promises to help the spinners.