Transition will be Smooth : Srikkanth

Guest HariSampath

Guest HariSampath
http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1203210 Chairman of selectors Kris Srikkanth tells Vijay Tagore that they have adequate replacements to fill the void Your term has been quite eventful so far. Yes. The team has been looking good. Most importantly the team has done very well. I’m very happy with the way things are going. The team is combining very well. How do you look at the turn of events since you took over. The Indian team is going through a transition. When a great cricketer like Anil Kumble retires, there has to be a vacuum. He was such a wonderful cricketer and a warrior. He was a committed cricketer. But then we have to accept reality and get on with the game. These cricketers cannot be there all the time. Sourav Ganguly also will be retiring in Nagpur. It is a transition period no doubt. How have you planned to handle the transition? Is the contingency ready? It is our challenge to find the right replacement. We’re lucky to have a good replacement for Kumble right now. Amit Mishra has done a good job and won a Test for us. He bowled very well in Delhi also. We have handled the whole issue perfectly. Amit Mishra was brought in when Kumble was there. Similarly, MS Dhoni was given the charge when Anil was around. So far the transition has been smooth. How do you look at Dhoni as a Test captain? Do you think he is ready? In the two Tests he has captained India — against South Africa and now against Australia — he has done very well. It is not that he has been suddenly given the captaincy. He has been there for some time. His records as a one-day captain and as T20 team captain are very good. As a Test captain too he has done very well. So we have no worries. He is a very efficient captain and a player. You have replacement for Kumble in the side — captain and the bowler. What about replacements for other players? We’ve good back-up in the batting department. A lot of talent is available. Rohit Sharma is there. Then there is Badrinath. We have Yuvraj Singh and Suresh Raina. So we have players who can step in at any time. As the selection committee chairman, have you set any target for yourself? The target is Australia. We have to win the series against Australia and I’m confident that we will. But the ultimate aim is to win the World Cup in 2011. Any area you think the current team needs improvement in? I think fielding is one area where we have to improve. You have not selected a one-day team so far. You will soon be selecting one. Do you have plans for it? The current one-day team has been doing very well for the last one year. I’ve no worries. The obvious question. Have you really spoken to the seniors? I don’t want to answer that question. Next question please. Will there be any more retirements? Leave out such masala questions. Why do you want to get into controversial questions? What is your guiding philosophy behind selection? Age? Performance? What is the criteria? The philosophy is to select the team that can make us the No. 1 side in the world both in Tests and ODIs. Yours is the first professional selection committee in Indian cricket. How much of accountability you are willing to take? We have a tremendous responsibility and I know we are accountable for our work. So we will try to ensure that the best team, that can deliver the goods, is picked.
Guest HariSampath
The obvious question. Have you really spoken to the seniors? I don’t want to answer that question. Next question please.
So....VRS is now officially confirmed:D
Ultimate aim is to win the World Cup 2011? WTF! The priority should be to win challenging Test series abroad...the World Cup is redundant! Reminiscent of the English attitude of winning the "next Ashes" and **** it up eventually.
Starting block my friend...are you not familiar with the talent in your own country? In your own street? Be patient.

IMO, if Cheeka is smart, Dravid still has rope for another series or two. I don't think Indian selectors are ballsy/crazy enough to throw two completely new batsmen against high profile series like England in India and India in Pakistan ( IIRC those are the next two test series ?). Remember, Gambhir is still kinda new - this is hist first series dominance of a geniuine test opposition IMO, even if the Aussie bowling is no longer fearsome. I think what India aught to try is bumping VVS to three and Dravid down to 5 or 6. Dravid is feeling the pressure IMO and his best shot is to lessen the spotlight of a #3 and migrate down south. Its shouldn't be taken as 'hiding dravid' either - last time we tried it, it worked spectacularly ( VVS in good form and bumped to #3, Dravid in bad form at #5/6) and there are several great/very good players who've done it in the past too : Lloyd did it, Viv, etc. Laxman is in confidence - he can reel off a good score or two at #3 i think and Dravid could use the extra time and fatter scoreboard to perhaps take it easy a bit and regain his form. I think Dravid perhaps has another 10-15 tests left in him unless he discovers his form again, but maybe his mind is no longer in it ( I think Dravid himself knows that he's accomplished way more than he expected to starting out - 10K and 50+ ave in tests, 10K in ODIs, playing some extremely vital and classy knocks, etc. )

Guest HariSampath

^^ I agree CC...but what about productivity ? I am aware of your argument of "Dravid at 5 or 6", over several series...but I want to know what is the expected returns on this "investment" ? What is the rationale behind assuming that Dravid ( if given 2-3 more tests)...would turn out the kind of performances necessary for even a 5 or 6 ? Remember, we cant apply the yardstick of an "odd 30, 50 , once in 8 inngs"...this being an argument you yourself had used in various threads to demonstrate how inconsistent and unproductive Dravid had become over at least 4 series. How are you going to justify this extremely extended run, in the context of the Rohits, Yuvrajs, Badris and others , who are all getting runs, 100s against Aussies , and knocking very very hard on the doors. Tell me a good reason, with proper justification and context, why these players should continue to sit out to enable Dravid to play another 10 tests ( on top of his last 25 tests)...and to produce an odd 50 performance...and I promise you, I shall sell the idea to Cheeka...or what the heck, I will arrange for YOU to sell it yourself directly. But be honest and unsentimental ( about greats deserving a send off blah blah)..focus on best team for best results, with most fairness for ALL players.

.but I want to know what is the expected returns on this "investment" ?
I'd say a 45+ average would be good enough for Dravid's short-term/over 10-15 tests, though he'd have to put together a few tons and some fat runs to garantee his place for any longer than that. But if Dravid isnt moved or fails to average 40+ in the next 2-5 tests, i think he too should be pushed. My basic reservation about Dravid being immediately terminated, is that this would, once again, make Tendulkar the lynchpin of the middle order ( Laxy = Azza in the early/mid 90s? good but not truely great?) and that would be a huge gamble, considering that Tendu isnt 10 years younger. Gangu is gone for sure - which means a new face gets the chance to seal a spot in the next 5-10 tests ( i hope so atleast!). IMO, our batting is suddenly looking chancey if Dravid is immediately removed from the equation : Gambo going well but still a noob, Veeru great but not mr consistent (ie, he wont give you 50+ scores as often as Tendu/Dravid/Ponting/Hayden etc. did/do), a fading Tendu, VVS, a noob and Dhoni. IMO, Kumble's batting might be missed - he afterall, was a fairly decent lower order bulwark ( 17-18 test ave? thats significant for a #7/8) and most importantly, Kumble was good at blocking one end up sometimes, even when he didnt score runs ( you cant really build meaningful partnerships around Bhajji IMO - he is too ODI-type. He will either be cleaned up inside 10 balls most of the time or hit his way to a 50 ball 30 or so. Kumble could eat up balls like no other). With all this in mind, i think shuffling Dravid might definitely be a good option over outright retirement/more pressure on the guy. Mind you, what would be interesting/glorious to see is how Tendu responds in the near future. He kind of dominated when he was the lynchpin but when Dravid/Sehwag became more productive, he took a backseat (though injuries had a big part to play with it) -it'd be interesting to see if Tendu responds with one final push of brilliance ala Lara if he's cast in the same situation again (maybe better openers today than in the 90s would compensate for his diminished powers a bit ?) Now THAT would be amazing. Mind you, if after 6-8 tests, Gangu's replacement seems to be doing excellent, the pressure on Dravid would increase manyfold unless he's boosted his performance ( or VVS might get f***ked over if he hits a bad patch in that juncture- as usual).
Guest HariSampath
I'd say a 45+ average would be good enough for Dravid's short-term/over 10-15 tests, though he'd have to put together a few tons and some fat runs to garantee his place for any longer than that. But if Dravid isnt moved or fails to average 40+ in the next 2-5 tests, i think he too should be pushed.
well...averaging 45 in the short term are OK standards, I can say, but how do we deal with the fact it hasnt been happening for the last 6 test series ( 25 tests)....surely a sub 28 avg is FAR lesser than the minimal 45 u suggest...and its been going on for TWO years...not just 2-3 tests , or 1-2 series...so how are you gonna convince Cheeka that Dravid will deliver at 45+ , in the short term, and also deliver a few tons etc...when he has just played ONE match impacting inings of 90 in Perth, in his last 20 tests....What answers will you give, if Cheeka asks you these questions....and most importantly..HOW long ? and also the question " why should I not select a Rohit or Badri, or someone else, settle for a 40 avg in the short term....and that would be an investment for next 4 years"
but how do we deal with the fact it hasnt been happening for the last 6 test series ( 25 tests)
By making that the catalyst for Dravid having only another 4-5 tests to provide the 45 average benchmark. Regardless of whether Dravid is sucking for 10 tests or 30 tests, in immediate future terms, as i said, shuffling him to 5/6 or giving him 4-5 tests more at 3 is a more viable option and makes more sense. If Cheeka has a brain in his skull, he'd be pragmatic enough to not use the past to detriment the future - which letting go of dravid immediately is a likelier option than shuffling him down the order or giving him a bit more time. Two newbie middle order bats when no middle order bat is exactly tearing up the world ( none of our middle order bats in tests are in the top 5 and only 1 in top 10) and a flashy but inconsistent opening pair seems like a fragile batting order to any sane person. But then again, given how Cheeka batted most of the time (brainlessly), i don't have much hope of him understanding. The answer to 'why should i not select a rohit/badri blahblahblah' is simple - select them in GANGULY's PLACE. If Dravid sucks, give the next dude a shot - or Yuvraj a shot or whatever. But AFTER this gangu-replacement has done well for ATLEAST a series or two. But it is fairly categoric to me that Dravid gone right now will be worse for India- so my opinion is, you are cribbing a tad too much and perhaps using past disappointments to pull the trigger too early- even when from **NOW TO FUTURE** perspective, it would be a detrimental gamble.
Guest HariSampath
By making that the catalyst for Dravid having only another 4-5 tests to provide the 45 average benchmark. Regardless of whether Dravid is sucking for 10 tests or 30 tests, in immediate future terms, as i said, shuffling him to 5/6 or giving him 4-5 tests more at 3 is a more viable option and makes more sense. If Cheeka has a brain in his skull, he'd be pragmatic enough to not use the past to detriment the future - which letting go of dravid immediately is a likelier option than shuffling him down the order or giving him a bit more time. Two newbie middle order bats when no middle order bat is exactly tearing up the world ( none of our middle order bats in tests are in the top 5 and only 1 in top 10) and a flashy but inconsistent opening pair seems like a fragile batting order to any sane person. But then again, given how Cheeka batted most of the time (brainlessly), i don't have much hope of him understanding. The answer to 'why should i not select a rohit/badri blahblahblah' is simple - select them in GANGULY's PLACE. If Dravid sucks, give the next dude a shot - or Yuvraj a shot or whatever. But AFTER this gangu-replacement has done well for ATLEAST a series or two. But it is fairly categoric to me that Dravid gone right now will be worse for India- so my opinion is, you are cribbing a tad too much and perhaps using past disappointments to pull the trigger too early- even when from **NOW TO FUTURE** perspective, it would be a detrimental gamble.
Garbage. I am sorry CC....but thats what your argument is. You havent provided a SINGLE logical point, why a Rohit or others getting 100s against this same Aus attack last week, is not better bet than Dravid who has comprehensively failed last 2 years, and also your argument seems to me to be like " buy Lehmans stock....irrespective of the fact they are bankrupt...dont worry about recent past, think of glory of 10 years back", CC...u will find no takers....ppl will want to put their money elsewhere....and trust me Cheeka has plenty more brains than you.

I think all this speculation is pointless. None of could see Ganguly's exit, nor could we predict Kumble's sudden vanishing act. I foresee the same happening with Dravid too. Either, he will stay on for longer than you hope, or will go away faster than you think.

s. You havent provided a SINGLE logical point, why a Rohit or others getting 100s against this same Aus attack last week, is not better bet than Dravid who has comprehensively failed last 2 years, and also your argument seems to me to be like " buy Lehmans stock....irrespective of the fact they are bankrupt...dont worry about recent past, think of glory of 10 years back
If that is your view, then clearly, you have zero idea of what logic is and i i am beginning to understand why you've p!ssed off even the most patient of souls here ( Ravi) with your incessant dogmatic rantings. If you cannot recognize the fact that shuffling Dravid or letting Ganguly's replacement settle before chopping Dravid is in our team's best interests, then you are a fool who's going to use the past to screw up the future. As per cheeka having more brains than me - somehow i highly doubt that.

Anyone who thinks we dont need Dravid, and Raina/Sharma/Gopal/Diwakar et.al. will do the job is day-dreaming. Play the alternatives for a few Tests, and then you will realize the need for Dravid after getting thrashed badly. Dravid is getting to end-of-life soon, however he has it in him for a couple of series, and we need to phase the transition of youngsters properly. That said, I hope RD calls it a day in Nagpur, and these doubters will get their questions answered when the Diwakars and Gopals are brought in. Then RD can smile in his own inimitable manner at the folks who thought it is easy to 'just replace him'.

Guest HariSampath
If that is your view, then clearly, you have zero idea of what logic is and i i am beginning to understand why you've p!ssed off even the most patient of souls here ( Ravi) with your incessant dogmatic rantings. If you cannot recognize the fact that shuffling Dravid or letting Ganguly's replacement settle before chopping Dravid is in our team's best interests, then you are a fool who's going to use the past to screw up the future. As per cheeka having more brains than me - somehow i highly doubt that.
Its quite obvious that you disregard facts which are clearly presented. If you had cared to read that writeup fully on what has been happening in Indian cricket and how much retention of Dravid at all costs, has cost the Indian team, you wouldnt bring in unnecessary factors like ravi getting pissed off, which had nothing to do with cricket or logic. If you are already convinced that Dravid needs to be retained just for the sake of Dravid, then no use attempting any logic with you. You approach the Indian team and its interests by first fixing Dravid as a given and then evolving the rest. But I take exactly the opposite view I fix the goal of the Indian team, its immediate and long term objectives, and try to fill in spots as necessary, with the most eligible player. My approach leads me to ask myself questions like , who are we playing ? what do we need to win here ? How many batters and bowlers ? And then who do I see doing these jobs best ? In this approach, which I think is full of cricketing logic, I believe Indian side could not have had place of Dravid, even from Melbourne test, for which incidentally I have given a detailed logic in that writeup. If you fail to see that logic and call me dogmatic, I am very skeptical of your intelligence ( at least in a cricket context , or at the very minimum your priorities for selection). I also dont understand why your 45 avg logic should start applying now....when Dravid has already failed 6 test series, unprecedented in history of cricket. What happens if you just adjust your "on trial date" to even 5-6 tests back ? then the logic flies in the face of fact. Dravid, in your logic the, should be dropped now. So who decides when the clock starts ticking. Cheeka too believes my logic, and also the Indian team's interest, as you can see from his well articulated objectives for the Indian cricket's immediate and future goals. He selects teams that evolve out of team needs and not fit team needs to "accommodate" individuals at all costs.
Guest HariSampath

^ Oh yes, of course...which is probably why Dravid managed to drag on for this series...left to Cheeka himself, he would have been shown the door earlier. But in any selection committee, the Chairman is always very powerful, and particularly in this one which had been formed with a specific purpose, Cheeka is the only former captain, and perhaps the most capped India player in tests and ODIs, and hence is a very strong influence. Moreover, Cheeka is a very assertive person, and wouldnt find it hard to convince his co-selectors

Its quite obvious that you disregard facts which are clearly presented
No, what is obvious is that you lack pragmatism. I repeat, retaining Dravid for the short term is still a better option than throwing two total newbies in the mix on a long term basis.
ou wouldnt bring in unnecessary factors like ravi getting pissed off, which had nothing to do with cricket or logic.
It has everything to do with *YOU* And i will say once to you, so pay attention : Do not lecture me in logic. Just don't. This would be like me telling Sachin on how to bat.
If you are already convinced that Dravid needs to be retained just for the sake of Dravid
Another clear proof that all you care about is ranting instead of reading. I want Dravid retained for the sake of Indian team because shuffling him down the order is still a better bet than blooding two total newbies.
You approach the Indian team and its interests by first fixing Dravid as a given and then evolving the rest.
Yet another idiotic comment. Where did i say Dravid is a given ? I said it is too risky and stupid to blood two newbies on a permanent basis and if Ganguly wasnt retiring, i'd be advocating dropping Dravid as well. But for now, retaining Dravid for a short term - until one newbie establishes himself in Ganguly's spot- is the most logical thing to do.
But I take exactly the opposite view I fix the goal of the Indian team, its immediate and long term objectives, and try to fill in spots as necessary, with the most eligible player.
Thats what you like to think, but your solution is not in accordance to your so-called charter. If it were, you'd not be advocating a total revamp of the batting lineup, especially when the essence of this thread is a smooth transition, not sudden chopping.
In this approach, which I think is full of cricketing logic
Key words : ' i think'. Remember that. What you think is not necessarily fact.
If you fail to see that logic and call me dogmatic, I am very skeptical of your intelligence
Good. Glad we have something in common - i think you are a cricketing retard as well. Glad that is settled.
I also dont understand why your 45 avg logic should start applying now
Because we are in here, in the now. I am not an old fart like you who likes to look behind to determine the future, i take the pragmatic approach - what is done is done, whats happened has happened, what is the BEST option for NOW - which any sane person would tell you, is to let Gambhir and Ganguly's replacement establish themselves fully before we drop a regular and usher in another newbie.
What happens if you just adjust your "on trial date" to even 5-6 tests back ?
Then we start living in the past - something an old fart like you can identify with, i am sure.
then the logic flies in the face of fact.
Non sequitur, champ. Logic and fact cannot contradict one another- basic definition of both words!
. So who decides when the clock starts ticking.
A sane person. Which is clearly, not you. The clock starts ticking when major changes are happening - which is what Indian cricket is at NOW - with Kumble and Ganguly gone.
Cheeka too believes my logic
Andhey me kaana raja....as i said, i didnt expect any better from Cheeka...afterall, there isnt much cricketing sense in that Afridi-esque batsman.
He selects teams that evolve out of team needs and not fit team needs to "accommodate" individuals at all costs.
If thats the case, he'd see the pragmatism in my view instead of trigger-happy 'use the past to the detriment of the future' view of an old jaded fart like you. But then again, CHeeka has more in common with you than me or my generation. Tell you what mate- maybe you and Cheeka should come to Canada - or any nation which actually excels in team sports to see how these discisions are taken - maybe then you Indians could learn something about building a strong team, instead of fumbling around like retards.
Guest HariSampath

* Yawn * CC....Its better you keep your mouth shut and have people *think* you are a fool , than to open it and remove all doubt...its obvious you know squat about cricket or for that matter what team sports demand and the goals of selecting teams to fit goals. Give it a rest...NO ONE thinks the Dravid of today is a better bet than a Badri, or Rohit or Yuvraj, who are all in cracking form and have years of cricket in them. A further dent in your logic ( if at all we can call it that), is the fact NOW is the time to bring in new cricketers into the batting order....with Sehwag, Gambhir, VVS , Sachin, all in craking form, with Dhoni as well...and also as a bonus, even Zaheer and Harbhajan contributing 50s....THIS is the time to blood the Vijays, Badris , Rohits etc. I am sure you ust have seen how a "newbie" Vijay conducted himself in an important test match situation today, on his debut...Badri and Rohit , as well as Yuvraj and raina have been around for a while and are not exactly "newbies" to Intl cricket...so just give it a rest, and trust me you know NOTHING about cricket, and just attempt to flaunt your so called argumentative skills , in the cause of unpopular opinion from which you get your daily fix....and whatever you may think about Cheeka, his selection decisions, his calls on cricketing judgments etc have been acclaimed by far better men than you. Cheeka has been described by no less a person than Gavaskar , as a "player that every captain would like to have and a captain every player would like to have"....and if that is not a top compliment for a former India captain to be a chief selector...I am afraid, this is yet another instance and proof of your rather evident lack of intelligence...'Nuff...said...see that video of todays Dravid duck and wallow in your own world of fantasies...ITS OVER for Dravid.