4th test, 3rd day's Dhoni's tactics :Intelligent or negative?

DomainK

4th test, 3rd day's Dhoni's tactics :Intelligent or negative?  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

Dhoni concentrated on drying down the runs in this session (and quite successfully). I think its a very intelligent move. Wickets were not coming and hence he played a very intelligent hand. Its a must win for the Australians and very obviously thats what they are trying to do. What they need for that is fast scoring and Dhoni is making them go out of the way to achieve that. The deal is clear: if you want runs, take risks. Earn it. This is now pushing the Aussies on the back foot.

We need wickets though. Drying down the runs is important and credit to Dhoni... but we need wickets too. Although if the Aussies end up on around 360-370 today ... we're in a good position.
It will create the wicket taking opportunity. Wickets are not coming anyways. If we force the batsmen to take risks, chances of taking a wicket will rise.

This last session for India is make or break. Bottom line here is we cant let Australia score too quickly. So far its been 4/91 after 53 overs ... if we have Australia at maybe 9 down for 320 or something that would be perfect. It would be better than bowling them out tonight because it would mean we would have to bat in that awkward last few minutes of the evening.

Aussies pathetically negative today, full of fear Never seen such a wimpy performance from the aussies. I thought they would go at us hard today and try to win the game. I thought they would end up with 500+ today. Instaed they are full of fear and clearly are scared of us. Yes we have bolwed tight and looked to dry the runs up. We threw the gauntlet down, come and get us aussies but the aussies have not had the bottle to rise to the challenge. As I write they have scored today at 1.91 RUNS PER OVER:omg: SHOCKING EFFORT FROM AUSTRALIA

Teams make their strategies depending majorly on two things: what the situation is and what the resources are. Where their resources are less capable than they used to be, they are facing unfamiliar situations on the field. I dont think they are doing anything drastically bad. They need to reduce the gap as much as possible and then expect an Indian collapse in the second innings. That's practical and optimistic. Since they have lost some wickets, they have to play carefully now. Scoring runs and not losing wickets is more important for them right now than scoring fast.

However, the longer Australia bat for, the more dramatic a collapse required by the Indians to lose this match. Given our history, its definitely possible ... but I'm hoping that our batsman can come good for this match. There is so much at stake here. Sachin ... there has never been a better time to make twin tons. The first of your career.

Never seen the aussies bat like this. It really is the end of an era. All that confidence and swagger has gone. They are full of fear now like other teams, when in trouble and under presure resort to attritional cricket like all the others To bat at 1.91 rpo when they need to up the ante is unprecedented for the aussies in last 10 years

Let alone Aussies, I have't seen any team play this negatively in the recent years. It's a shame to say the Poms are way more positive than the Aussies. The current Aussie team doesn't really urge us to watch them. Gone are the days of Gilly, McGarth and Warne. Barring Hayden and Ponting rest are not the one you would like to go and watch. No wonder the turn out to the test matches hasn't been that great. They dug their own grave today, they were in a good position last night but today they had no clue what they were trying to achieve. They are supposed to play a more positive cricket because they are the ones that are behind in the series. They are playing they are leading the series 1-0 and want to slow down the proceedings. These guys lack self belief. Terrible mess up by the Aussies today.

Guys there is still 2 more days ... We need to score 300+ runs in this innings and set Australia a target of about 400 with about 2 and a bit (say 60 odd overs) sessions to get it. That would mean they have to score at around 5.5-6 an over. That gives us a perfect opportunity to win the match. India can attack for 60 overs and put Australia under immense pressure. I think get India should declare just before lunch on day 5 ... Hopefully they can bat until then.