champs to chumps

novpj

Followed the match and then read about the news conference in which Katich argued with a reporter suggesting that India was defensive and that the fact that Australians could not score was not Aussies fault - they just could not do anything and any one who does not understand this is stupid. This was the final straw - this Australian side is really negative and think today's play highlights it. Do you think Hayden, or Ponting or Gilchrist would not have been able to find a way to pick up scoring againt the 8-1 strategy? I dont think so. Fact is that the Australian team of old was full of champs who took the battle to the opponent. This team does not have the talent or the courage to replicate what Australian teams of old have done. We are seeing a transition before our eyes and the future (at least in the short term) of Australian cricket is clear they are going from champs to chumps. Aussies will hype bits and pieces players like Katich (no replacement for Langer), White, Clarke, Krejza, Tait, and Clark (doesnt come close to McGrath) and will try to convince themselves that the state of their cricket is not that bad but the reality on the cricket field is difficult to ignore.

Allan Border after the match went through a few different shots that the Aussies could have played. He said that the guide down to 3rd man was an option (even if it was just for a single, at least the scoreboard could have kept ticking) and he was saying moving out of your crease and just trying to get bat on ball. The thing was Australia were 2/230 ... they could have taken the risks. India set a trap for the Aussies and the Aussies fell for it. Once again Dhoni out-thought Ponting.

Allan Border after the match went through a few different shots that the Aussies could have played. He said that the guide down to 3rd man was an option (even if it was just for a single, at least the scoreboard could have kept ticking) and he was saying moving out of your crease and just trying to get bat on ball. The thing was Australia were 2/230 ... they could have taken the risks. India set a trap for the Aussies and the Aussies fell for it. Once again Dhoni out-thought Ponting.
:((:((:(( Stop abusing Dhoni.
Ooohhh sorry :giggle:... I thought you may have thought I was being sarcastic when I wasnt. No but generally speaking ... Ponting is a pretty good tactician ... but Dhoni so far has beat him on most occassions.
Actually, I never rated PWNting. He was just on auto-pilot all these years, with a great team to carry him. And, it is easier to think when you are not under pressure. That doesn't take a genius. His captaincy has been HORRIBLY EXPOSED now. Mark Nicholas got PWNED by Ravi Shastri while trying to defend him. Ravi pointed out many simple things he could have done. Just compare with Shane Warne and his IPL stint. That was such a juicy contest. Dhoni vs Warne. I never thought anyone could be as AWESOME as Dhoni captaincy-wise. He may just have found his match in Warne. But, he's retired.