Dravid will bounce back against England, says Ganguly

Kartikey

http://sports.in.msn.com/cricket/stories/article.aspx?cp-documentid=1699019 New Delhi: Former India captain Sourav Ganguly has extended support to his one-time deputy Rahul Dravid, who is going through a barren period, and said the cricketer will strike form in the upcoming two-Test series against England. Ganguly, who retired from international cricket recently, feels the "tough time" is only a minor part in Dravid's long and illustrious career, which has seen him write a number of success stories. "I'm sure Rahul Dravid will sort his game out. When you perform for 13-14 years, it just doesn't go away overnight," Ganguly, who has accumulated more than 7000 runs from 113 Tests, told a news channel. "Everybody must realise, the selectors, the board and the fans that when you play for so long you will have tough times. You will all have bad series because you are human. I back him to do well and get runs against England," he added. Asked whether he wants to sit on the selectors' chair, the 36-year-old cricketer retorted saying, "I think the days of criticism are over for me. I have been criticised a lot as a player. I don't want to start all that again as a selector." Ganguly, though, is yet to decide how to spend time post-retirement. "I haven't decided on anything. I need some time off. I need a break from the game, a break from everything... I'm trying to build a school, so I will give time to that. I want to do that in a big way so that I can help young boys and girls shape their careers," he said. Ganguly, India's most successful captain, wants to contribute to the upliftment of Bengal cricket and guide budding youngsters in home town Kolkata. "I will definitely do a little bit of work related to cricket. It could be media, it could be commentary. But I want to contribute to Bengal cricket," he said. "There is enough talent and hopefully I can guide them. Coaching is not an option now, not in another five years because it involves travelling," Ganguly said.

Rahul Dravid to play Ranji match against Andhra BANGALORE: Under scanner for his prolonged poor form, Rahul Dravid will be hoping to get his touch back when he takes on the field for Karnataka in the Ranji Trophy match against Andhra Pradesh. Team officials said that the former India skipper will play in Karnataka's Elite group B home match, starting in Mysore on Sunday. "Yes, Rahul Dravid is playing," Karnataka team manager R Ananth said. Dravid has been in dismal form in the last few months and would be looking forward to turn things around. He has managed just 268 runs in the last seven Test matches. Karnataka team will be led by flamboyant batsman Robin Uthappa source: TOI Dravid needs to play some pressure free cricket, Even though he may not show it now, he must be under immense pressure. Hope he comes back to form. Currently being out of form he looks useless, but when in form he's better than anyone that can come in and take his place. We don't need to lose a 3rd legend in a matter of weeks

BANGALORE: Under scanner for his prolonged poor form, Rahul Dravid will be hoping to get his touch back when he takes on the field for Karnataka in the Ranji Trophy match against Andhra Pradesh. Team officials said that the former India skipper will play in Karnataka's Elite group B home match, starting in Mysore on Sunday. "Yes, Rahul Dravid is playing," Karnataka team manager R Ananth said. Dravid has been in dismal form in the last few months and would be looking forward to turn things around. He has managed just 268 runs in the last seven Test matches. Karnataka team will be led by flamboyant batsman Robin Uthappa source: TOI Dravid needs to play some pressure free cricket, Even though he may not show it now, he must be under immense pressure. Hope he comes back to form. Currently being out of form he looks useless, but when in form he's better than anyone that can come in and take his place. We don't need to lose a 3rd legend in a matter of weeks
With so many people calling for his blood, one of the very people who actually wants to support him because we know he'ss under tremendous pressure. Thank you for this post. It means a lot under so many people asking him to quit.

^^ Im not gonna lie to you, when I have been watching him in dismal form, I, too have been calling for his head, but with all the emotions going around with Ganguly's retirement and reminiscing(sp?) about all those wonderful knocks, I have watched some old matches and the amont of times Dravid has played match-winning knocks is unbelievable and if we were to have him back to something similar in terms of form, it could be a great thing for India

Yes, do so Dravid. Then retire and let a young fella, who has stars in his sights, enter into your spot. There are so many young Indians trying to play for India. How much will you have them prove themselves. Some have three triple centuries to get your attention. It's time...let the new generation get in. Give them a chance You have had yours.

Cmon Dravid :two_thumbs_up: You can do it! You can become THE WALL in Test matches again. England will be in trouble if RD finds form. Lets hope the wall returns! (in good form, ofcourse!) Cochise: If Dravid can get back his form, he has a year or two left to bat at top class in Intl cricket In Test matches, his experience (when playing away in NZ etc) will be invaluable.

The young ones do not have that time...a year or two and they may be gone. Pujara is at his prime now...bring him into the side and watch him go. Two years from now and he will be jaded...no fire in the belly...another has been. I ask you, how did Dravid, Ganguly, Laxman make it into the side? Space had to be vacated yes? Dravid got a space and he made a legend of himself. Now it's time for another. Give the young ones some hope for heavens sake!

You can make the same argument against Tendulkar too, cochise. When you talk abt an in-form Tendulkar and in-form Dravid in Test matches(and I'm talking only abt inform dravid here), they amount to the same and depending on situation, one is more vital than the other and vice-versa. The point I am making is both are legends, and when in-form, both are required for a certain reason - not on whim or fancy.

Yes, you can make the same argument of Tendulkar too...I agree. But Tendulkar is magic...Dravid is discipline. So being, Dravid must yield to discipline. Don't think I have forgotten his guts....sheer guts...that safeguarded India's honour. But it is time to pass it on. It is time to PASS IT ON.

Yes' date=' you can make the same argument of Tendulkar too...I agree. But Tendulkar is magic...Dravid is discipline. [b']So being, Dravid must yield to discipline. .
What do you mean by that? (yield to discipline) (and by the way, these days tendulkar for the most part in Tests, is more grind-it-out and disciplined-shot-selection as well)

When Tendulkars magic fades out...it will be evident to all and moreso to himself...there was no fineleg there in Perth when he made 114 at the pace bowlers wonderland at its best when he was 19.... Dravid is different. He is not so naturally gifted. He is years of hard work and practice to correct technique...he is textbook...and a coaches dream...orthodox elegance personified, concentration, determination, will, spirit.... It is time he let a young protege, who has been working equally hard and practicing as hard and performing so...in. I want him to have a swansong....he deserves that....but after that, he has to ACTIVELY look for a successor for his place...he will nominate that yound lad and yield his position. This is what I expect of that great man and patriot, Dravid. And you know what? He will do exactly that. Wait and see.

When Tendulkars magic fades out...it will be evident to all and moreso to himself...there was no fineleg there in Perth when he made 114 at the pace bowlers wonderland at its best when he was 19.... Dravid is different. He is not so naturally gifted. He is years of hard work and practice to correct technique...he is textbook...and a coaches dream...orthodox elegance personified, concentration, determination, will, spirit....
Agree. The difference between them is that Dravid built himself up from a very good batsman into a great. Tendulkar was a class apart. He started the game with instincts few other batsmen have. He could read the length of the ball earlier than most, respond to any ball with a wider range of shots than most batsmen could, and could go as far as knowing what bowlers would do from time to time, prepare his shots and absolutely collar them like few others. Think of moments like his assault on Caddick in the 03 World Cup. Set him up, knew when he'd be banging it short - waited on the back foot for that ball, then launched it clean out of the ground in one of the most breathtaking bits of batting I've witnessed. In short, he was a genius. As Dravid's eyes and reflexes slowly deteriorate, his batting does too. With Tendulkar, even if his eyes and reflexes aren't what they were, he still has that absurd range of shots, the brains and a level of nous no other batsman of his time possesses that he can fall back upon to keep making runs.
Agree. The difference between them is that Dravid built himself up from a very good batsman into a great. Tendulkar was a class apart. He started the game with instincts few other batsmen have. He could read the length of the ball earlier than most, respond to any ball with a wider range of shots than most batsmen could, and could go as far as knowing what bowlers would do from time to time, prepare his shots and absolutely collar them like few others. Think of moments like his assault on Caddick in the 03 World Cup. Set him up, knew when he'd be banging it short - waited on the back foot for that ball, then launched it clean out of the ground in one of the most breathtaking bits of batting I've witnessed. In short, he was a genius. As Dravid's eyes and reflexes slowly deteriorate, his batting does too. With Tendulkar, even if his eyes and reflexes aren't what they were, he still has that absurd range of shots, the brains and a level of nous no other batsman of his time possesses that he can fall back upon to keep making runs.
fantastic post. But I think Dravid still has cricket left in him. He didn't look out of depth in the test matches.
Guest HariSampath

Dravid isn't going to be dropped for the 2 tests against England, if the Chief Selector Srikkanth's recent statements are anything to go by. Srikkanth has openly said " Dravid is one innings away from form"...as dumb a statement as it gets, because we have said that in the past and Dravid also did get a 90 and a 100, but has been failing after that. So, its not as if he is "one innings away"...NO..his best cricket is far behind him, and he has just been producing a rare 50+ innings, this is reality, and Ranji or tests, 100 or 200 in this game isnt going to change that. But even if Srikkanth wants Dravid to play 2 more tests, in the end its Dhoni who will call the shots. If Dhoni is willing to accommodate Dravid one last time, he will play, if not Dravid will have to be dropped, irrespective of whether Srikkanth likes it or not. This will be dependent on Yuvraj's claims, already he has got a brilliant 100 in the ODI game, and if he gets another 100, or maybe a couple of 70-80 scores, there would be a huge clamour Yuvraj into the side. If Gambhir and Yuvraj have to play, then that would mean Vijay would have to be forcibly ejected to accommodate Dravid. If that happens and Dravid fails yet again in the 1st test, Sriikkanth's ar$e would be on fire. Add to this, a couple of more innins from Raina and Rohit in the coming days, its not going to be easy to stick with Dravid...and its Dhoni's call in the end. Dravid may get to exit gracefully, IF Dhoni allows it.