Who is your favourite player from Pakistan?

Kartikey

Who is your favourite player from Pakistan?  

1. 1.

• Imran Khan
    • Wasim Akram
    • Waqar Younis
    • Inzamam
    • Miandad
    • Zaheer Abbas
    • Mohammed Yusouf
    • Abdul Qadir
    • Saqlain
    • Actor

Though he was playing his last tournament when I started following the sport (1992), Imran is my all time favourite Pakistani player. I feel he is the most complete player to ever set foot on the Cricket field - Ace fast bowler, number 6 batsman good enough to be in his team just for his batting abilities and above all a truly legendary captain. Next is Wasim who was an absolute magician with the ball in his hand. How he managed to do the most complex things with the cricket ball with the simplest bowling action remains a mystery. Watching him bowl would set my pulses racing. Among the current lot I don't admire any Pakistani cricketer. Misbah has been impressive since his comeback to international cricket, but that's about it. The nandrolone popping drama queens like Shoaib Actor and Mohd Asif have turned Pakistani cricket into laughing stock.

Guest HariSampath

Wasim Akram, one of my all time 5 favorite cricketers. Can win a match from a no hope situation in 15 minutes, few equals , and perhaps the best ever fast bowler in the world IMO Looks like he wins by a long mile here :-)

Wasim Akram' date=' one of my all time 5 favorite cricketers. Can win a match from a no hope situation in 15 minutes, few equals , and perhaps the best ever fast bowler in the world IMO[/quote'] No way...Malcolm Marshall beats everyone easily. Be it skills or stats, none could match him.
He was very modest abt it' date=' saw in an interview recently and said allah got him the wicket and sachin perhpas made a mistake or two to get out and 98 tour was his best ever series[/quote'] I met him you know! Shook hands with the guy and Saeed Anwar, they had come down to my local mosque. Good moment in my life. Two cricketing legends. I dont think anyone else there truly appreciated it
I remember Dhondy doing a statistical analysis of Mcgrath VS Akram in which he showed how most of Mcgrath's dismissals were top order batsmen whereas Wasim's dismissals had a much higher proportion of lower order batsmen. Can anyone locate that thread? Or was it on the old ICF?
There's a cricinfo column on it as well. http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/342446.html http://blogs.cricinfo.com/itfigures/archives/2008/03/ Just read the article on bowlers with most quality wickets. Some of the indices are really good.
He was very modest abt it' date=' saw in an interview recently and said allah got him the wicket and sachin perhpas made a mistake or two to get out and 98 tour was his best ever series[/quote'] Being modest is a crime in Pakistan. Look what happened to him. In Pakistan if you are arrogant and selfish, you are worshiped.

Marshall was one of the greatest bowlers, no doubt but he enjoyed quite the luxury of being in a bowling attack that was amazing throughout his career. He started his career bowling alongside Andy Roberts, Garner, Holding & Croft and ended his career bowling alongside Walsh, Ambrose and Bishop - ANY of those bowlers would walk into ANY attack ( including Australia) any day of the week. With that callibre of bowling around him, Marshall could afford to attack all the time. One common qualifier to Ponting's performance often is that he has had the luxury of batting in a great batting lineup throughout his career and hasnt had to carry the batting like Lara or Tendulkar has had to. I think we should remain fair and hold the same standard for Marshall as well. I played cricket mostly as a bowler and it makes helluva lot of difference if you know that the batsmen are going to be at the defensive 100% of the time, because all 4-5 of your bowling clique are excellent and there is nobody to clobber. Wicket-taking becomes far harder when batsmen deciede 'hmmm, these two bowlers are great, i am going to shut shop for the next 10-15 overs, see them out and clobber the noobie at the other end'.