1000 runs in a year : Isnt this getting a bit tedious?

f.b.m

I hope you're talking about only this year. Even then, thats not a valid point at all. As much as I don't like saying this, Ponting has several more "matchwinning" knocks than Sachin does - especially in the 4th innings of a match. It often bothers me how Wisden never includes many Sachin's innings because they have been in lost or drawn causes. Go ask Allan Donald what it feels like to be hit all over the ground in SA by one man when his team is at 62/5. Same with Shane Warne (116 in MCG), Wasim Akram, Saqlain, Pollock, McGrath, and even Curtly Ambrose and Walsh. They'll tell you that they were bowling at the best batsman in the world by a mile. In a similar way, just because Australia have drawn/lost games in which Ponting scored well in doesn't do anything to his excellent batting prowess. Yeah, Sachin is regarded as one of the nicest guys on and off the field but when we're talking about batting, batting is all that needs to be considered. I don't agree that we overrate our batsmen or players. We are criticizing people who have contributed SO much to Indian cricket - Sachin, Dravid, Ganguly, Kumble - have ALL been criticized unfairly several times throughout their careers- in fact, we don't even give as much respect to Sachin (as an example) as some of the foreign fans do.
well i was only talking about this year.n ponting's tons came in loss against SAF n draws against india.being a captain he should be able to make them winning knocks.also his runs this year came against low quality teams like WI n NZ.so sachin def. had a better year than ponting.
well i was only talking about this year.n ponting's tons came in loss against SAF n draws against india.being a captain he should be able to make them winning knocks.also his runs this year came against low quality teams like WI n NZ.so sachin def. had a better year than ponting.
Being captain doesn't give you extra powers to make your knocks match winning ones. Otherwise, we would've won the '99 series in Australia because Sachin had played extraordinarily knocks throughout [and he was captain]. Yet we lost the series 3-0. Sachin definitely had a good year and apart from the SL tour, he had a great year. But Ponting has had a poorer year only because of 4 test matches coming against weaker attacks but thats about it. He's still played very well against SA in the 2nd test and in the 1st test at Bangalore. He's played 14 tests last year and out of those, 10 were against very good attacks.
Being captain doesn't give you extra powers to make your knocks match winning ones. Otherwise' date=' we would've won the '99 series in Australia because Sachin had played extraordinarily knocks throughout [and he was captain']. Yet we lost the series 3-0. Sachin definitely had a good year and apart from the SL tour, he had a great year. But Ponting has had a poorer year only because of 4 test matches coming against weaker attacks but thats about it. He's still played very well against SA in the 2nd test and in the 1st test at Bangalore. He's played 14 tests last year and out of those, 10 were against very good attacks.
whatever u say, i would still regard winning knocks much higher than others.sachin's 100 at chennai,for e.g. was much greater than potingg's ton at melbourne or sachin's own ton at sydney.ofcourse bowlers win us the matches,but sachin's knocks at chennai,nagpur or even perth were memorable ones coz we won.i dont think ponting has played any memorable knocks

Those days a series was to be cherished, people looked forward to them Grinding 5 Test rubbers followed by the newish cricket phenomenon 50 over ODIs. Nowadays with so much XXXX Trophies being played who gives a hoot. Sad really, I used to look forward to Indian tours of WI and Aus (Remember "An Indian Summer " ad for 1990 series).....

It often bothers me how Wisden never includes many Sachin's innings because they have been in lost or drawn causes. Go ask Allan Donald what it feels like to be hit all over the ground in SA by one man when his team is at 62/5.
By two men. And frankly, Tendulkar paled in front of what Azharuddin produced that day.
By two men. And frankly' date=' Tendulkar paled in front of what Azharuddin produced that day.[/quote'] No way Sachin paled in comparison to Azhar that day! Both played some majestic shots.Azhar's innings had the slight edge coz he made lots of runs in a single over itself.For eg. he was severe on Klusener and Paul Adams.If my memory serves right,he hit five 4s of a Klusener over after doing the same at Eden Gardens couple of months back.Paul Adams too came in for special treatment. Where as Sachin's innings was caution mixed with aggression.He played some of the most breathtaking strokes you'll ever see. I'm sure you would have watched that match Shwetabh.For those who haven't here's a video posted by Predator of that audacious batting display!!! http://www.indiancricketfans.com/showthread.php?t=7218
Charu, Maninder, Mohinder commenting :hysterical:
:hysterical::hysterical: Two other Indians on that panel were Gavaskar and Kishore Bhimani.Robin Jackman,Mike Haysman, Lee Irvine and Trevor Quirk were the ones from SAF. BTW Trevor Quirk used to be a regular on SAF tours that time.Where's he now ??