Stats : All Rounders

Guest BossBhai

Thanks Boss Bhai! Thanks again. was quite revealing. shows that kapil lost the sting in his bowling after the knee operation. he was 3 rd fastest to 200 & 2000 but the slowest to 350 & 3500 club.his famous jump was affected and later even the God's gift-out swinger deserted him for some years. he regained the swing but the pace just went down blunting his effectiveness. nevertheless he was good enough to play as a batsman when he retired.

Like most guys in my age group Kapil is a childhood hero a larger than life figure and could he hit the ball or what ? In one of the ODIs in MCG he sent the ball flying over the ropes one ball after the other on what used to be a very huge ground back then. The kiwi bowler finally held up a white hanky in a sign of surrender. Then there is that 4 sixes in a row feat to avoid followon ' date=' the surreal 175 in the 83WC. But the best memory of him is he cleaning up the aussies for a meager 83 runs in the 1981 Test match at MCG to win the match and level the series. When he got to the crease it used to cause such a adrenaline rush just exactly what happens now when Sehwag gets going. Truly a great great player one of a kind. :hatsoff:
:hmmmm: you mean all-rounders?:P
Runs, wickets at decent average for a sustained period of time. What else?
Barring 4-5 series, Kapil's bowling was pretty average '86 onwards. Ideally, he should have transformed himself into more of a batsman who would be a support bowler. But, the lack of pace bowling options, or rather all bowling options, prevented the transformation. Whatever the reasons might be, but he had a strike rate close to 80 and wickets/match of 2.5 for the last 50+ tests of his career which is pretty ordinary stuff for an opening bowler. Yeah, decent figures for a support bowler but nothing more.

that was jeremey coney-The then NZ Captain

Like most guys in my age group Kapil is a childhood hero a larger than life figure and could he hit the ball or what ? In one of the ODIs in MCG he sent the ball flying over the ropes one ball after the other on what used to be a very huge ground back then. The kiwi bowler finally held up a white hanky in a sign of surrender. Then there is that 4 sixes in a row feat to avoid followon ' date= the surreal 175 in the 83WC. But the best memory of him is he cleaning up the aussies for a meager 83 runs in the 1981 Test match at MCG to win the match and level the series. When he got to the crease it used to cause such a adrenaline rush just exactly what happens now when Sehwag gets going. Truly a great great player one of a kind. :hatsoff:
yes, i remember that incident, i did not watch it live, just heard on radio.but later watched the high lights much later. another super iinings i can never forget was the 100 run partnership with Vengsarkar in the MCG Bicentenary trophy, which india eventually won under Gavaskar in 1985-feb/march( my +2 exams)! in the semi final against NZ, india were struggling to score quickly.NZ were defending a smallish 200+ score but runs were hard to come by. Hadlee was economical in his first spell.india required an acceleration after the 30 over mark, 3 wickets down.Kapil waded in to the bowling as only he can. scored 10+ runs in a series of 3 or 4 overs that included Hadlee too.Vengsarkar joined the party and India won comfortably in the end. Gavaskar later wrote something like -" only 3 indians can do that. one was srikkanth, already dismissed and sitting in dressing room. second Sandip patil, right now shooting in a forest for some hindi movie. third was Kapil, going to the wicket."!

Wonderful tales about Paji there. Wish I had seen more of him live. I was too young at that time. I do remember watching him, but I did not understand the game well enough to realize what I was watching. I remember Kapil and Sachin playing some 5-over matches. There were some kind of matches where only two players played for five overs each. Those two would bowl and those two would bat (neutral fielders were available). Naturally one would be a batting all rounder and the other would be a bowling all rounder. So Sachin and Kapil, the youngest and the oldest had paired up for India. Someone remembers such tournaments? I think there were a couple of tourneys like that and then they stopped.