Munaf refutes suggestion he was not fit for Lanka series

Feed

Pace bowler Munaf Patel, who was forced to return home following a groin injury, on Monday dismissed suggestions that he was not fit for the series against Sri Lanka. More... Munaf refutes suggestion he was not fit for Lanka series Press Trust Of India New Delhi, February 02, 2009 First Published: 22:18 IST(2/2/2009) Last Updated: 22:22 IST(2/2/2009) Pace bowler Munaf Patel, who was forced to return home following a groin injury, on Monday dismissed suggestions that he was not fit for the series against Sri Lanka. "Those are all baseless reports. I was 100 per cent fit before the game and as I said it was only after the match that I got this injury. In fact, I am actually a lot better than what I was on Thursday or Friday," said Munaf on his return from Colombo. Munaf hurt his groin during the first one-dayer, during which he bowled just five wicketless overs giving 32 runs. He couldn't play the second one-dayer and the Indian team management decided to send him back and recalled L Balaji to the team instead. "I am devastated to have miss out on the remainder of the five-match ODI series. Though my figures may not show it but I was really bowling in good rhythm in the first One-day International," said a dejected Munaf, who headed straight to Bangalore for a rehabilitation programme at the National Cricket Academy (NCA). "Immediately after the first One-day International, I felt a little tightness in the right groin and spoke to the physio Nitin Patel. Then, there was a MRI scan done yesterday which showed contusion in the groin area," the 25-year old, who expects to be fully fit in seven to ten days, told 'ESPN STAR Sports'.