Reliving Tendulkar v. Warne

Mr. Wicket

In the same series' date=' when Lee won it for aussies by hitting a sixer to Bala (I think UV scored 139 in this very game)..I remember badani saying because of bala's complexion it was easy for Brett to pick up a white ball being released from a 'dark' hand that too at night :giggle: :hysterical:[/quote'] Laxman too scored a ton in that one, i guess !!!
In this entire series Jadeja remained not out and piled runs. Only time he got out was in the finals, which eventually India lost :giggle: http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/records/batting/most_runs_career.html?id=765;type=tournament When India lost the finals, I was so shocked (given how we played in the entire tournament) and fell for the lie that my friend told me. He said the final is best of 3 and I was relieved.... only to find out that Steve was lifting the god damn trophy :mad: :haha: ..I was only 12 then, so cut some slack :D
:cantstop::cantstop::cantstop::cantstop:
Some of the shots he played - picking things from outside off stump and depositing them over mid on or mid wicket against the turn, or going inside out to a ball that pitched about two feet OUTSIDE leg and managing to connect reasonably well and hit over extra cover - are just unbelievable. I still maintain that at his best, he had hand-eye coordination, a range of shots and a fearlessness and will to dominate bowlers that put him out of the league of other batsmen.
I distinctly remember those shots. I was a bit nervous, as Giles had claimed his wicket by bowling down the leg side, earlier. I was very much delirous, when Boss hit those balls from OUTSIDE leg over extra cover. :hatsoff::hatsoff: to Boss
I distinctly remember those shots. I was a bit nervous, as Giles had claimed his wicket by bowling down the leg side, earlier. I was very much delirous, when Boss hit those balls from OUTSIDE leg over extra cover. :hatsoff::hatsoff: to Boss
Dude giles first toured to play for England in India in 2001. That series which Salil is mentioning, took place in 1998. Giles had not bowled to tendulkar in 1998 or before
Dude giles first toured to play for England in India in 2001. That series which Salil is mentioning' date=' took place in 1998. Giles had not bowled to tendulkar in 1998 or before[/quote'] I think I got the wrong series then. Any chance, Salil you could provide this DVD? or place where I can buy this DVD? Please ? ??
I still think Lara's the better overall player of spin although Sachin plays leggies better..... ....
and the above is based on what ? that one series against SL were he did nothing wrong. He avg 30 against India, avg around 30 against pak till pak had quality spinners (his avg against Pak went up after the likes of kaneria/afridi/malik formed paks test spin lineup). Sachin has dominated warne more than lara has; Sachin has played murli if not better as well as lara has n sachin with a broken back beat the cr@p out of pak spinners.

SRT during the 90s was a notch or two above Lara and quite a way up than others. BCL might look more elegant in some drives but that's just the usual left hander factor. I still remember that 96WC match, the first ball of warne was sent straight over his head. And I agree with VR, BCL's dancing around the crease is just plain ugly.

Awesome batting ! He scored almost half of our 1st innings score! not surprising those days.. Even in the 2nd innings, he played brilliantly before getting out unluckily.Caught by Pwnting off M.Waugh. Actually it was a half tracker from Waugh which Sachin pulled with disdain only to hit the short leg fielder and Pwnting took a good,diving catch at mid wicket.

SRT during the 90s was a notch or two above Lara and quite a way up than others.
Watching another DVD now (screw the Oscars, this is better!) and seeing Tendulkar score hundreds in Perth and Sydney in 1992. The Perth knock is a class above anything I've seen from Lara. There are mottled green patches across the pitch (a regularity on the old school Perth wickets), steep bounce with some pretty tall and quick bowlers and yet he plays everything with such amazing control.

Even if Lara had made the 114, Sachin's would be better because the wickets in WI do have a lot of bounce and so, even though, it would've been a terrific knock, he would've already experienced such wickets before. But as Ian Chappell mentioned (when being interviewed about this knock), it is a lot harder to adjust from low bounce to high bounce rather than the other way around, which is why the ease with how Sachin played his shots is remarkable.

Even if Lara had made the 114
I highly doubt he could have played such a knock. The bowling was excellent, the pitch was doing plenty, and in such conditions against bowlers hitting the deck and getting the ball to move, Lara's been undone a number of times (some of the McGrath dismissals come to mind). Very little feeding his main shots; drives through the off side to balls pitched up or slashes and pulls to balls pitched short. Much of the bowling to Tendulkar was in that uncomfortable just-back-of-a-length area where the ball rises nastily and it's difficult to play forward or back, that too at a line without the room to cut. Tendulkar played a number of quite astounding shots - punches at times - off the back foot to those deliveries - and the only other batsman I've seen who could pull off such shots was Steve Waugh when younger (when he'd stand tall and just dispatch those balls through cover/point with a flash of hands). Unbelievable batting, and IMO one of the greatest Tendulkar innings.

Even though Lara showed Valor during his knock of 153 against Aus in 1999 which helped windies win by 1 wicket at Barbados, i still think it wasn't a great knock. Those who watched the game, would have seen how many bloody times lara was dropped. And then just to sum up the poor fielding of Australia on that particular day, Shane Warne drops one more catch all the way in the end of the test match which was the last chance Lara gave to Australia.

Even though Lara showed Valor during his knock of 153 against Aus in 1999 which helped windies win by 1 wicket at Barbados, i still think it wasn't a great knock. Those who watched the game, would have seen how many bloody times lara was dropped. And then just to sum up the poor fielding of Australia on that particular day, Shane Warne drops one more catch all the way in the end of the test match which was the last chance Lara gave to Australia.
That's why I don't believe in numbers and some subjective conditions (eg winning knock) blindly. That was a great knock no doubt, but just because some other knock didn't result in victory doesn't automatically mean is has to be of lower quality than a winning 100.