1996 Wills WC India-Pakistan QF @ Bangalore: Press clippings etc.

Hi All, It's almost 13 years since the greatest ever ODI on Indian soil took place. To relive the game, here are some press clippings. Since today is March 8th, I'll start with the clippings from that day in 1996. Closer readable shots of the reports will follow shortly. Over the next couple of days, I'll add the days' clippings accordingly. Thirteen years ago on this day, I was bloody nervous due to the excitement and tension ahead of the game next day. Those of us, who had a ticket for the game felt privileged, but the tension was relentless and the preparations (from a fans' perspective) never seemed complete! Oh well, I will edit one of these initial posts later to post a detailed match report. Have fun!

Amongst other news, Lara involved in an unfamiliar controversy. No other interesting snippets. For the sake of Bangalore old-timers, I have left a couple of familiar ads in this scan. That's all for today folks.More updates on match day 'morrow! Come on India! :isalute: :isalute::isalute:

Bahut Wadiya thread bhaisahib.. That match and the 03 world cup match are two of the most anticipated and memorable games of India and Pak. and offcourse the 07 2020 games. Great threa.d looking forward to reading those newspaper clippings.
Totally agree. Both the 20/20 matches were such heart-stoppers. Personally, the older matches ('96 CWC, '92 CWC, 85 world series, Ind-Aus '87 CWC etc) carry sense of mystique about them since there isn't much information available on the web. Anyhow, here's the sports page of Deccan Herald on match day, March 9th.

Pakistan were rightly seen as favourites for this game. They were in red hot form, whilst there were questions raised about the Indian bowling after being defeated by the Lankans at the Ferozeshah Kotla. (PS: Anyone remember that spectacular 137 made by you-know-who in that game? Masterclass really!)

Anyone have the clippings from The Hindu when the world batting record fell the first time. It was a spectacular back page piece akin to a Roman Triumph and man it was like a piece of literature for the ages.
Hmm...which world batting record are you referring to?