Tendulkar in the same league with Bradman: Wright

Mamu

Fair enough .His pressure,yes i always maintained that he would have much better statistics had he played for any other team .The baggage of expectation is simply too much . But let us not carried away by blind love .We are comparing some one who had double the average (almost).Simply without watching, arriving at opinions won't help . Those bowlers were crap.Based on what ?Still such astronomical figures cannot be denied. I hate comparing players of different eras and making assumptions like what would ahve been.Simply not fair . I wasn't taking on u.Making opinions such as Bradman is overrated and making such an opinion as fact is what i hate .Overrated ? what the bloody heck ?
i definitely dont think that he is overrated and i concur with u in the player comparison part too but somehow watching Sachin bat and the way he out thinks the bowler, the way he picks up the length so quickly gives me the feeling that there can be no one else better than this guy in doing the job as a batsman..
maybe they were not as talented as Sachin or Bradman..so u do accept that Bradman and Sachin are in the same league rite..well i know it is stupid to compare players of different era but i feel that if Sachin and Bradman had played in the same era we wud have definitely got the answers we were looking for..well since that din happen it has been left to the statistics part and we all know the where the answer lies if we take statistics in consideration.. I agree with wat u said about Bradman being enormously talented but likewise Sachin is too infact i think he is even more talented than Bradman as a batsman..anyway it is subjective and u can say that he is not..
What makes you say that ? Bradman himself agreed that he's played alongside with some of the greatest batsmen ever. Stan McCabe, and in his final tour, Neil Harvey. I'm sure there are lot of others - that I'm unable to recall right now. But yeah, I agree with you that it is a subjective thing since they are of different eras. I just don't think its right calling him overrated, and stuff like that.
Funny certain people say numbers don't matter .Yet in a comparitive study they will come up with statistics first to prove X is better than Y .
Nothing's really funny about that, it's called context. On another point, although it was not official, but the pace bowlers of the WIndian golden era didn't really bowl bouncers way outside your off stump, neither did lot of other bowlers. There are quite a few grounds where SRT averages very high, imagine just playing on those grounds against same opposition for a long time. Again, let's not turn this into another endless debate.

I dont think its appropriate to the legacy of the Don and the greatness of our very own Sachin to compare them to each other. There's no way you can measure up the performances who had their active cricket careers separated by half a century. No amount of stats data bases, comparison of relative merits of the bowlers of their respective eras or arguments about the grounds, opposition or pitches can ever capture accurately the challenges posed by those particular times. In 2030, some other batsman may come and score 15,000 test runs and 20,000 test runs, with 125 international 100s. Does that make him better than Sachin? Of course not. Does it mean Sachin is better than him? Again the answer is no. If anything, its a fruitless exercise to compare players who are contemporary to each other.

how many people on the planet are actually qualified to comment and judge all the innings and situations SRT played through since his debut 20 yrs ago, seriously?. there are not many and even fewer have a public platform. Richie Benaud is one such person. Aged only 19 yrs old SRT produced the best test innings Benaud had ever witnessed. Just ponder that for a moment. People do not realise that there was a very real Bradman vs Tendulkar debate raging in the late 90s and not just amongst Indians. 12 years later, and a shadow of his former self, he still towers above most. If only we had some magic formula to quantify and measure his feats in some convenient number the sport might learn to say.... Bradman's average was Tendulkaresque.

how many people on the planet are actually qualified to comment and judge all the innings and situations SRT played through since his debut 20 yrs ago, seriously?. there are not many and even fewer have a public platform. Richie Benaud is one such person. Aged only 19 yrs old SRT produced the best test innings Benaud had ever witnessed. Just ponder that for a moment. People do not realise that there was a very real Bradman vs Tendulkar debate raging in the late 90s and not just amongst Indians. 12 years later, and a shadow of his former self, he still towers above most. If only we had some magic formula to quantify and measure his feats in some convenient number the sport might learn to say.... Bradman's average was Tendulkaresque.
Very good post, and lot of it has got to do with marketing, not just in financial sense. As I was saying in another thread, there is really no reason to call Hussey Mr. Cricket, but the OZs made it stick and it does give some sort of more respect or aura than he deserves. If DGB was Indian and SRT OZ, this whole debate wouldn't have happened.
Anakin' date=' I'm quite confused about what you say after the first line. Please explain.[/quote'] Other batsmen faced way better quality pace bowling without much protection too, although there was no official bodyline series, those bowlers aimed for your head quite often. It is a factor if you let one very good batsman play at few familiar venues against few familiar opposition.
excellent post goose
:two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up: