Snubbed domestic cricketers

King

I don't quite understand why NZ is snubbing few discarded senior players despite the number of runs they are scoring. Matthew Sinclair has been extremely consistent in domestic cricket playing for Central Districts this season. He averages 86.42 in the longer version, 88.86 in limited overs and 50.80 in Twenty20s in domestic cricket this season. Let alone getting a look in the national team he is not even selected to play NZ 'A' team. M Papps averages more than 40 in longer version and ODIs this domestic season and he isn't a part of the NZ 'A' team either. Jamie How although has been a bit of a failure this season was the pick of the NZ cricketers a year ago. Bad luck and at times good balls have got him out just like it happens to any other batsman. He's not in the NZ 'A' team either. It's hard to believe these three players mentioned above aren't good enough to play NZ 'A' team. The selection panel under Glenn Turner has been quite disappointing. NZ isn't producing great results in test cricket and despite that these three deserving players aren't getting a look in. I think all three from the above are capable and should be playing for NZ right now. This brings to question also of not picking Scott Styris. He has no chance to prove his form for ODIs playing longer version of domestic cricket. The ODI competition is complete and there is no way Styris can stage a come back at this stage. NZ has itself to blame for the results. Selection has been shambles and I have forgotten the number of debutants NZ has had in the last one year. There is no consistency or logic with the selections.

Jamie How although has been a bit of a failure this season was the pick of the NZ cricketers a year ago. Bad luck and at times good balls have got him out just like it happens to any other batsman. He's not in the NZ 'A' team either.
If How is not in the NZ A squad then who was the skipper of NZ A who slammed tons against England Lions? And I suppose most of the teams hold A matches to identify the future generation of players. Including experienced international discards would be detrimental to that motive itself. If a board holds these matches just to select one or two players in a particular position in the international team, then they can be included. But perhaps NZ board has made up its mind on these players that their talent was not up to international cricket standard or something like that? Aren't there any young and talented player, especially bowlers, in the NZ domestic cricket?

Agree re. Papps, How and Styris. Sinclair's a great guy and once of the nicest people I've met off the field, but I definitely don't think he's test class. He's had a lot of chances and periods where he'll do really well in domestics, have people think "hey we should pick this guy", then gets selected and does nothing. In 04 he was average and got axed for not doing much and throwing away starts. Then after a great season he came back in 06 and got dumped after four innings with a highest of 37 where he never looked good. Then people wondered if opening wasn't the thing for him and whether a middle order spot was better, so he again returned in 08 and had a miserable run where he averaged below 20 and got turned over time and time again by England in the MO. At 33 after all those strings of failures I don't see any reason to bring him back. Papps and How though definitely deserve a better shake from the selectors. And to leave Styris out of the ODIs was ridiculous.