The Indian Elections Thread

The Outsider

The Indian Elections Thread  

1. 1.

• BJP/NDA
    • Congress/UPA
    • Third Front
    • Undecided

Well if the voters of India are mature please explain large volume of votes for Mayawati' date=' Yadav, Lalu, Modi and communists to name just a few![/quote'] That is what I am saying about this 2009 elections.. it is showing comparative maturity in the Indian voters .. Mayawati, Yadav, Lalu, Modi and communists have reduced their number of seats significantly that is the difference of this election than the previous elections.. the voters mainly voted on the basis of developement.. Naveen Patnaik, Sheila Dixit, Nitish Kumar etc. swept the elections in their respective states as they worked for developement of their respective states .. every CM who has worked for his state outstandingly has been rewarded by the voters and that is good to see .. that is why I am saying there has been a significant maturity amongst Indian voters this time around :hatsoff:

The more i see Rahul Gandhi's smile the more i am worried .I don't know his smile looks very dodgy :nervous:
We cannot judge him but his smile or his personality does not look dodgy to me as well as most others .. you might not have heard his speeches etc... he is humble yet speaks about matters which are close to heart of the Indian people and Indian youth .. Nobody can judge him now but his real personality will only be known when he becomes PM .. but from his interviews, speeches and works he seems to be much better than most other politicians and he has got added advantage being a youth leader

That is what I am saying about this 2009 elections.. it is showing comparative maturity in the Indian voters .. Mayawati, Yadav, Lalu, Modi and communists have reduced their number of seats significantly that is the difference of this election than the previous elections.. the voters mainly voted on the basis of developement.. Naveen Patnaik, Sheila Dixit, Nitish Kumar etc. swept the elections in their respective states as they worked for developement of their respective states .. every CM who has worked for his state outstandingly has been rewarded by the voters and that is good to see .. that is why I am saying there has been a significant maturity amongst Indian voters this time around :hatsoff:
I believe Mayawati increased her seats so did Modi from 2004! So not sure why you say their seats got reduced significantly? Maharastra has by all common thought been one of the worst run states in India yet they voted in the same bunch!!! They vote for mayawati cos she is a dalit. They vote for Azzha cos he is a muslim. The vote for rahul cos he is a gandhi. Yes very mature voting!! O and the mature indian voter also elected Mr Varun Gandhi by a massive amount!

However, despite evrything. Its good that the centre is now strong and that it is now a strong goverment. So if congress do what to implement great policies that make the country better, they can now do this. Good to see regional players being put in their place and now having the begging bowl out trying to support the UPA. There ambitions have been shattrered and instead of being able to hold the congress to ransom by demanding big ministerial positions for their support, they now have to beg for congress approval. Quite righlty SP and BSP are being told were to stick it and thus they are giiving support form the outside. Thankfully no ministerial position for Amar Singh which was certainly being eyed up. And as for mayaywatis dreams of being PM....:haha:

I believe Mayawati increased her seats so did Modi from 2004! So not sure why you say their seats got reduced significantly? Maharastra has by all common thought been one of the worst run states in India yet they voted in the same bunch!!! They vote for mayawati cos she is a dalit. They vote for Azzha cos he is a muslim. The vote for rahul cos he is a gandhi. Yes very mature voting!! O and the mature indian voter also elected Mr Varun Gandhi by a massive amount!
Bhai I am saying India is maturing as a democracy.. I am not saying it has completely matured .. that is not possible unless the literacy rate reaches 100% ... an educated person can take a more wise decision and hopefully with time Indian voters will be completely mature with time Regarding Mayawati anjd Modi, they had completely swept the assembly elections in their states and they were expected to sweep their states in Lok Sabha too .. but they could not perform to their expectations at all and Indian voters reduced their vote share significantly .. Mayawati got 21 seats only whereas even a non-existent party like Congress won 20 seats I am not saying it has swept the elections but there has been comparative maturity in the Indian voters.

The UPA received unexpected bonus in the shape of support from both Mayawati's BSP and Mulayam Singh Yadav's Samajwadi Party, enabling the coalition to cross the 300-mark in the new Lok Sabha. The two bitter rivals who fought elections against the Congress in UP and elsewhere have chosen to pledge their support on the ground that they want to strengthen secular forces and to keep the BJP out. SP has 23 and BSP 20 seats in the 543-member House in which the UPA coalition has secured 261 seats on its own. The total tally will now be 304 without counting parties like 3-member JD(S) and a few independents who were offering their support. It is turning quite funny now with two rivals SP and BSP giving support to the same UPA govt. even when it was not needed by UPA. :giggle: And both were fighting against UPA during elections. Mayawati and Mulayam Singh Yadav has shown their double face by their support. Both gave 'unconditional' support to UPA. Meanwhile three other parties including Deve Gowda's JD(S) has also pledged 'unconditional support' to UPA. On the other hand, BJP's worries are increasing with Akali Dal blaming BJP for NDA's failure in the elections. Nitish Kumar's JD(U) had already blamed BJP for NDA's failure previously. And NDA constituent RLD is also moving towards UPA and wants to give support to UPA.

RJD is also submiiting letter of support to UPA within a few hours to President .. this is really becoming funny .. UPA has crossed the required 272 seats a long time ago but political parties are going on supporting them when there is no need as there is clear majority already

I completely agree with PK and seedhi regarding Rahul Gandhi. There is no way in hell he would have been a PM candidate had his surname been something else. If the Congress think tank's reasoning is that this country needs a young leader to inspire confidence in the electorate(who on paper are probably the youngest in the world), then I can think of atleast 3 young Congress/allies politicians can fit the bill, have achieved more than Rahul Gandhi and have a good track record - Sachin Pilot Jyotiraditya Scindia Omar Abdullah All three are/have been Union Ministers and have done good work in their constituencies and ministries. Even the blindest bat will admit that Congress is the bastion of the Gandhis and that Rahul Gandhi is a PM in waiting because of his surname. Whether he'll turn out to be a good administrator is another debate altogether and it will be quite unfair to write him off. His father(a very reluctant politician) grew into the role and became very popular post his ascension to the throne. And the name Gandhi is syonymnous with God in certain places, especially in UP. I am not being patronising when I say that for a lot of gaon folk in those regions, these guys are saakshaat bhagwaans.

No one can deny that the Gandhi family does not call the shots in the Congress - and one needs to be in the family's good books to make progress. However, it is not too different in priciniple from how the BJP is structured - just that in the latter's case, the family is replaced by the RSS. In a way, these two parties are mirror images of each other.