Thoughts on Day One

Dhondy

It wasn't just about throwing darts, he was bowling over the wicket to left handers How was he expecting to get a wicket, rarely even bowled the doosra so there is a chance of bat pad
He has become a ODI/T20 bowler with focus on economy rate. He will be good for the limited overs format. But for Tests, he needs to re-invent himself.

Was truly frustrating seeing Bhaji flight a grand total of two deliveries before the 8th wicket fell. Until then he was mostly bowling quick and flat. When he finally gave one some air, he got an edge that was shelled at slip. The next ball was again flat and fired in and smashed for four through cover. :banghead: Of course, the moment O'Brien came in to bat Bhajji started giving it lots of air and flight... (and still somehow failed to dislodge Chris Martin!)

Was truly frustrating seeing Bhaji flight a grand total of two deliveries before the 8th wicket fell. Until then he was mostly bowling quick and flat. When he finally gave one some air, he got an edge that was shelled at slip. The next ball was again flat and fired in and smashed for four through cover. :banghead: Of course, the moment O'Brien came in to bat Bhajji started giving it lots of air and flight... (and still somehow failed to dislodge Chris Martin!)
:((:((:((
cloudy condition means lot of swing and seam. We are doomed
The news is that overnight rain has delayed the start by 15 minutes. The weather was perfect for play yesterday and the rain isn't entirely surprising as it was forecast yesterday. We just saw live shots at Seddon Park and there's bright sunshine. No need to panic. India made a solid start yesterday, getting to 29 at stumps. The team talk yesterday woukd have centered around occupying the crease. India needn't be in a daring hurry. However a few early wickets will make things very interesting.
Would sehwag listen to what is being said in team talk abt occupying crease? :hysterical:

I think India is all right. They did a good job with the ball overall but for that one partnership. There were edges flying everywhere and if luck had favoured India at least 1 out of those 10 edges would have headed to a fielder. What's a test match without the fight? Look at the bright side, if NZ can fight back and throw up a competition it's good for the game. India just cannot lose, no chance of that this time around. How long will NZ keep them at bay is the question? It was a good aggressive fight back from Vettori and Ryder. Something that needs to be appreciated. We only tend to look at one side of the coin and criticize the bowlers. The bowlers tried their best, got the edges but weren't lucky enough yesterday. Vettori and Ryder took chances fought back well and hit even the good balls for fours. Now that is good cricket. Come on folks, you just can't complain about the quality of cricket yesterday. It was a typical test match day and I look forward to more of that. India perhaps would have been expected to bowl NZ out for less than 250 after choosing to bowl. NZ scored 20-30 extra runs. Not too bad the way it has worked out for India.

Refer to my previous thread about player fitness and commitment... Had we maintained a level of alertness and ran out the frackers when we had the opportunity' date=' ryder for one would have been back in the hut. Vettori, him we did not have a chip on![/quote'] Sehwag's dismissal proves your point from that thread, THX. Slow running from India, sharp fielding from NZ and a crucial wicket of a guy who's in such form that the only ways to get him out are brilliant fielding, the batsman himself or an umpiring error.
true. Being one of Bhajji's favorite fans, it was disappointing to see him bowling flat and fast. Also the line was too middle stumpish, lots of them the batsmen was just letting them go. But I'm sure he'll learn and get better as the tour goes on.

I've just seen the title of this thread, and posted this without reading any of the posts above... I'm sorry to put the dampeners on, but after such a superb position at 60-6, allowing New Zealand to cross 120 (I'm being generous) is a disgrace. Not to take away from the brilliant performances from the 2 Kiwis who rescued their side, but India did make a mess of things. You'd think after Karachi '06, we'd learn these things, but we haven't. At this moment, we're in the best position to win, but I still reckon we messed up pretty bad...

Now I have read the posts above, and conclude that Holysmoke has the best avatar ever, and that you guys are surprisingly lenient on how we relinquished a chance to humiliate New Zealand in this match... Also, so I can show I'm not all doom and gloom, I would like to express my thanks to the batting, for peforming better than I was expecting (up to this point)...

I've just seen the title of this thread, and posted this without reading any of the posts above... I'm sorry to put the dampeners on, but after such a superb position at 60-6, allowing New Zealand to cross 120 (I'm being generous) is a disgrace. Not to take away from the brilliant performances from the 2 Kiwis who rescued their side, but India did make a mess of things. You'd think after Karachi '06, we'd learn these things, but we haven't. At this moment, we're in the best position to win, but I still reckon we messed up pretty bad...
have to remember Vettori is probably ATM their best test bat. He's mounted rearguards before. But India need to work on their field placings. A couple of adjustments and we could have had both of them. Too much spacing between 2nd and third slip.