Tough schedule for Indian players

Feed

Again and again, you speak of pressurizing him to choose Indian matches over IPL. Why don't you understand that there is immense pressure on him to play the IPL by the BCCI and his franchise? He cannot say, "I won't play because I'm tired" because his franchise can fire him and sue him for violating a contract. They've shelled out $1.5 million dollars. You want to pay Chennai SuperKings that much money so they can let go of Dhoni? He has to play all Indian matches because he's the captain. He cannot skip the IPL matches. Being a wicketkeeper, there is enormous pressure on him physically, he has to squat up and down 540 times a day for test matches, and 300 times a day for ODIs, and 120 times for T20, and what more, he's been the best batsman of our team by a mile.

^ So, what will he do now? Has the WK situation changed now? (Parthiv, KKD still suck) He is captain of CSK, captain of ODIs and captain of Tests. At some point, he has to take rest - fair enough. At what point? Which captaincy will he prioritize now that he is captain in all formats? He should try and prioritize the Team India matches, and for that we cannot force, but public can express their opinions and maybe that pressure will sway him to choose these matches over IPL.
You do realize more "public" watches IPL, and more would rather have him in the IPL as compared to the small fraction that watches tests?
Fortunately' date=' the Indian public is not dumb enough to complain about a player who skips a Test series which hardly anyone watches, to take part in a landmark league which broke all TV viewership records, and where he was the highest paid and most sought after cricketer.
What the hell!?? You saying the Test series is some stupid thing that no one cares about, and IPL is the landmark crucial thing. That T20 circus is now the meaningful thing, and Tests are meaningless. What bakwaas is this? What has cricket come to?
What the hell!?? You saying the Test series is some stupid thing that no one cares about, and IPL is the landmark crucial thing. That T20 circus is now the meaningful thing, and Tests are meaningless. What bakwaas is this?
Have you been to India recently? I have. Let me tell you that a faaaaaaaar greater amount of people watch the IPL as compared to a Ind-Sl test series. And please show me where I said tests are meaningless.
Guest gaurav_indian
What the hell!?? You saying the Test series is some stupid thing that no one cares about, and IPL is the landmark crucial thing. That T20 circus is now the meaningful thing, and Tests are meaningless. What bakwaas is this? What has cricket come to?
Smell the sarcasam.Infact he is taunting guys who prefer T20 over test cricket.B->

graphic23, CSK cannot sue MSD for opting out. The contract says player can receive money when they play. If they dont play, they wont get paid the same as they would if they had participated. They cannot sue if you opt out of playing some or all matches. No provisions for that, AFAIK. Only payment terms can be varied.

gaurav, No, the unfortunate thing is some are actually OK with prioritizing IPL over Tests. I do hope that more of the public voice against this, but unfortunately seems like Indian public like to watch "exciting" circus more than real cricket which is "boring". Cricket as we know will slowly fade. I am NOT against T20. But when players have to prioritize, and if they cannot participate in both, then: Tests >>> ODIs/T20 >> IPL

i think we can get in substitutes for the 3rd test against NZ. Get guys like Rahane, Badri, Utthapa, Pujara in so that the main players can get some rest for the IPL. We have Balaji/Sree/RP/Kulkarni to replace Zak and Ishy. KKD can keep as well...that's why he's been picked....so that Dhoni can rest as well.

i think we can get in substitutes for the 3rd test against NZ. Get guys like Rahane' date=' Badri, Utthapa, Pujara in so that the main players can get some rest for the IPL. We have Balaji/Sree/RP/Kulkarni to replace Zak and Ishy. KKD can keep as well...that's why he's been picked....so that Dhoni can rest as well.
:whack: We need to win the series first and then maybe go for a clean sweep if we have a chance. Doofuses all over! :mad:
gaurav, No, the unfortunate thing is some are actually OK with prioritizing IPL over Tests. I do hope that more of the public voice against this, but unfortunately seems like Indian public like to watch "exciting" circus more than real cricket which is "boring". Cricket as we know will slowly fade. I am NOT against T20. But when players have to prioritize, and if they cannot participate in both, then: Tests >> ODIs/T20 > IPL
Yes, Tests> ODI's>T20 is your opinion, but not necessarily that of the "public" Cricket as you know has been fading for a long time. How many people can claim to watch a whole test. Now think of what that answer would be 40 years ago.
graphic23, CSK cannot sue MSD for opting out. The contract says player can receive money when they play. If they dont play, they wont get paid the same as they would if they had participated. They cannot sue if you opt out of playing some or all matches. No provisions for that, AFAIK. Only payment terms can be varied.
Um, he's the captain for a reason. You still won't account for how much pressure is on him to participate and perform well to lead CSK to finals and to victory this time. And, yeah, I think the franchise reserves the right to drop a player if they want, and they'll drop him if he says that he's tired. You keep thinking ideologically and not practically at all.
gaurav, No, the unfortunate thing is some are actually OK with prioritizing IPL over Tests. I do hope that more of the public voice against this, but unfortunately seems like Indian public like to watch "exciting" circus more than real cricket which is "boring". Cricket as we know will slowly fade. I am NOT against T20. But when players have to prioritize, and if they cannot participate in both, then: Tests >>> ODIs/T20 >> IPL
Thats your opinion. Dhoni knows what his priorities are. He wants to keep a winning team combination. When he scored a duck in the SL game in WC '07, his house was attacked and he was threatened by fans. I'm sure he doesn't want a repeat of that in WC '11. So to keep his winning combination, he needs to be in the good eyes of BCCI, and god knows they want him to participate in IPL at any cost. So stop being bull-headed, and see something from a different perspective for a change. Michael Clarke, et. al said that IPL sucks and they want to play for their country - to get rest. Go check his record in the present test series against SA. Yet, those who played the IPL have done remarkably well in ODIs for our team.
It hasn't come to anything. Tests are still a priority, which is why elite panel for umpires exists for Tests and only neutral umpires are allowed. But you have to realize that in order to globalize the game, this needs to happen. Why not think of T20 as a way to introduce people to cricket? Stop seeing things from the same narrow point-of-view, and start trying to see a silver-lining in things.
Michael Clarke' date= et. al said that IPL sucks and they want to play for their country - to get rest. Go check his record in the present test series against SA. .
I'm sorry, but what does this imply? Clarke would have done better in Tests if he had played in IPL? or does bombing in the Test series, despite hsi best intentions to rest and prepare for it, mean that overload of cricket has no bearing on his Test performance anyway!? His decision was right. It may not have worked out in this Test series, but how do we infer that Clarke made an incorrect or foolish decision?
what about young indian players and spinners who have never played outside India and are surely going to get hit all over the ground?.these pitches will be very different from what they are used to.
They will learn how to bowl from people like shaun pollock, glenn mcgrath, shane warne etc The improvement in the overall level of Indian cricket owes a lot to the IPL