Players' views about IPL switch to SA in 2009

Feed

Sachin Tendulkar was disappointed with the BCCI's decision to shift the cash-rich Indian Premier League out of the country as it will deny him a chance to play in front of the home crowd. More... Sachin disheartened with IPL shift Joseph Hoover, Press Trust Of India Auckland, March 23, 2009 First Published: 14:00 IST(23/3/2009) Last Updated: 14:01 IST(23/3/2009) Sachin Tendulkar was disappointed with the BCCI's decision to shift the cash-rich Indian Premier League out of the country as it will deny him a chance to play in front of the home crowd. "It is disappointing that the IPL has been moved out of India. We will certainly miss playing in front of our supporters. It won't be the same," said Tendulkar, who is the captain of Mumbai Indians team. The BCCI took the surprise decision yesterday after the government told the organisers that it may not be possible to provide adequate security during the 45-day event due to general election in the country. Tendulkar said it was a great feeling to play the matches in home and away basis in the inaugural edition of the event. "It was a good concept to play home and away matches. This is something that the teams will miss this time around," he said.

Flintoff rues IPL switch Andrew Flintoff fears the Indian Premier League may lose some of its excitement by being moved overseas to South Africa. More... Flintoff rues IPL switch 25/03/2009 8:00 AM PA Sport Andrew Flintoff fears the Indian Premier League may lose some of its excitement by being moved overseas to South Africa. The 31-year-old Lancashire all-rounder is one of five centrally-contracted England players who were due to fly out to India for the scheduled IPL start on April 10, for a three-week window negotiated between the England and Wales Cricket Board and the IPL. But security fears have forced the IPL organisers to look overseas and despite entering into negotiations with the ECB to stage the tournament in England, they have instead decided to move it to South Africa and start eight days later on April 18. The decision means Flintoff, Kevin Pietersen, Paul Collingwood, Owais Shah and Ravi Bopara will still be given the opportunity to play Twenty20 cricket with and against the world's leading stars, but they will be denied the chance to do it in the unique atmosphere of India in front of packed crowds. "Ideally I'd like to have played in India," admitted Flintoff. "It's the Indian Premier League and you have the chance to play in front of those crowds and those venues and it's a special place to play cricket." "I'm obviously disappointed we're not going there but it's still taking place and if it's South Africa then I'm sure they'll put on a great tournament, but I don't think it will quite the same as if it had been in India." Each England player was due to be paid on a pro rata basis for the number of games they featured in during the tournament and by compressing this year's event, they may still end up playing in the same number matches. The new schedule is still being finalised but under the old itinerary, Flintoff could have played six matches for the Chennai Super Kings, Pietersen could have played eight for Bangalore Royal Chargers, Collingwood and Shah were available for seven for the Delhi Daredevils and Bopara could also have played eight for the Kings XI Punjab. They are all waiting to discover whether the new schedule reduces their number of matches - and also their pay packets - but at least now they can all begin making plans for South Africa.

Watson sad to see India lose IPL Inaugural Indian Premier League player of the tournament Shane Watson says it's "extremely sad" to see ground-breaking Twenty20 competition forced out of India. More... Shane Watson says it's sad to see IPL forced out of India By Jim Morton March 25, 2009 Inaugural Indian Premier League player of the tournament Shane Watson says it's "extremely sad" to see ground-breaking Twenty20 competition forced out of India. Watson admitted the second edition of the IPL couldn't help but lack the same dazzling atmosphere after being shifted to South Africa due to security reasons. The Australia all-rounder believed the competition, starting on April 18, would still be well organised in South Africa, but doubted it would boast the same huge crowds or fanatical interest as in India. "I think it will definitely be slightly different," Watson told Fox Sports News. "It's extremely sad the IPL won't be held in India. It is a beautiful country and the people there are absolutely fanatical about cricket. "But it's still going to be an amazing tournament as it was last year. Watson was named the competition's best player in 2008 after starring with both the bat and the ball for the unfancied Rajasthan Royals who snared the inaugural trophy. Now the Shane Warne-led Royals and the seven other Indian franchises will be based in different South African cities as the tournament is likely to streamlined from six weeks to five and include double-headers. The Republic beat England to the hosting rights due to several factors, including weather, finances, television rights and the speedy issuing of more than 1000 visas. Rain is less likely to affect matches in South Africa during the tournament period and with a dollar worth almost 10 rand it is an attractive option financially. Watson, who was immediately recalled to the Australia one-day side after last year's IPL, again aims to use the tournament as a springboard back into the international arena. A strong Ashes candidate, the injury-plagued 27-year-old, who is overcoming back stress fractures, will return to the bowling crease midway through the competition. "The IPL's again come at the right time of my career to get back on the track," he said. The Queenslander also confirmed he was close to finalising a move to NSW for next season's domestic competition for lifestyle reasons. Watson, commuted from Sydney to Brisbane to play for the Bulls this season. AAP

Cricket: Vettori welcomes IPL change New Zealand cricket captain Daniel Vettori welcomes the IPL'srelocation to South Africa although he is disappointed thetournament had to shift due to security fears More... IPL change no drama for Vettori Published: 4:31PM Wednesday March 25, 2009 Source: NZPA New Zealand cricket captain Daniel Vettori welcomes the Indian Premier League's (IPL) relocation to South Africa although he is disappointed the tournament had to shift due to security fears. The Board of Control for Cricket in India confirmed, on Wednesday, the 59-match Twenty20 competition will be held in South Africa between April 18 and May 24. South Africa and England were vying for the hosting rights after India was ruled out because the safety of the players could not be guaranteed as the competition coincides with local elections. "It's disappointing it's not in India," Vettori said, echoing the comments of vice-captain Brendon McCullum this week. "The guys love going over there and touring." Vettori relieved Vettori was relieved the playing schedule had been put back a week instead of the original start date of April 10 because he, McCullum, Jesse Ryder, Ross Taylor, Kyle Mills would have had little recovery time after the current series against India ends in Wellington on April 7. "Delaying the tournament is the best thing for us otherwise most guys would have hopped on a plane after the last day of the test match and that can be quite tough on you," he said. "Now that it's concrete I think everyone's settled and pretty happy." Jacob Oram, who is currently concentrating on domestic cricket, former international Scott Styris and Stephen Fleming, who will coach the Chennai franchise, are also contracted to the IPL. Vettori is unsure how the IPL will be received in South Africa and acknowledges crowds may be down in number compared to India. "One of the most exciting bits about the tournament was you got to play in front of 50-60,000 people who were tremendously excited about the game. "We probably won't have those sorts of crowds. It will take a little bit away from it but the important thing is the games are being played," said Vettori, who is on the Delhi Daredevils' roster. Well supported Vettori thinks the IPL will be well supported although South African fans have already been exposed to a top quality series involving Australia. "It's pretty late to be playing cricket in South Africa but the pull of international players should make it as good a tournament as it was in India." Vettori noted the inaugural Twenty20 World Cup was hosted successfully in South Africa two years ago. It is understood the IPL will start in Cape Town and involve defending champions the Rajasthan Royals. Johannesburg, Durban, Centurion, Port Elizabeth and East London will also host games. South Africa was considered the favourite to host the second edition of the IPL due to the negative affect England's springtime weather might have had on the tournament.

IPL will be fantastic for the game in SA: Smith South Africa skipper Graeme Smith says global appeal of the IPL will help cricket fans from his country to connect with the city-based teams. More... IPL will be fantastic for the game in SA: Smith Agencies Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 1120 hrs IST Johannesburg: South Africa skipper Graeme Smith says global appeal of the Indian Premier League will help cricket fans from his country to connect with the city-based teams. "I was in India last year and I saw how the tournament captured the people's imagination. They loved watching players who were traditional rivals play alongside each other. What also amazed me was when I returned, how many South Africans had watched the tournament on television and the associations they had made with the respective teams," he said. "The tournament will also bring along its unique Indian sub-culture which will be a great experience for our fans," the South African skipper added. Smith, a part of the first edition champions Rajasthan Royals, also said that the conduct of the cash-rich Twenty20 tournament in South Africa will prove beneficial for the game in his country. "It's another opportunity for our country to showcase its beauty. A way for more feet to move through our doors; It will also be a huge financial boost to the provincial unions who keep the game going. I'm sure it will be huge success. It is fantastic for the game in our country, and I'm sure it will be huge success," Smith told the ?Cape Times?. Smith, who was one of the leading run-scorers last year, said now that the event will be played in South African, his role in Rajasthan Royal's campaign will become bigger. "It definitely does put me under more pressure. Last year I could just do my thing as a player. I have already received calls from Warney, so I will most likely have more of a leadership role," said Smith. Meanwhile, the new batting sensation JP Duminy, who has been signed up by the Mumbai Indians, he would have loved playing in India but is happy at least to figure in it. "I was kind of looking forward to experiencing the atmosphere of the Indian crowds, but I am excited the tournament will be in South Africa. I am just glad the tournament is going ahead," said the left-hander.

SA fans will connect with IPL due to its global appeal: Smith South Africa skipper Graeme Smith says global appeal of the IPL will help cricket fans from his country to connect with the city-based teams. More... SA fans will connect with IPL due to its global appeal: Smith 25 Mar 2009, 1235 hrs IST, PTI JOHANNESBURG: South Africa skipper Graeme Smith says global appeal of the Indian Premier League will help cricket fans from his country to connect with the city-based teams. "I was in India last year and I saw how the tournament captured the people's imagination. They loved watching players who were traditional rivals play alongside each other. "What also amazed me was when I returned, how many South Africans had watched the tournament on television and the associations they had made with the respective teams," he said. "The tournament will also bring along its unique Indian sub-culture which will be a great experience for our fans," the South African skipper added. Smith, part of the first edition champions Rajasthan Royals, also said that the conduct of the cash-rich Twenty20 tournament in South Africa will prove beneficial for the game in his country. "It's another opportunity for our country to showcase its beauty. A way for more feet to move through our doors. It will also be a huge financial boost to the provincial unions who keep the game going. "I'm sure it will be huge success. It is fantastic for the game in our country, and I'm sure it will be huge a success," Smith told the Cape Times. Smith, who was one of the leading run-scorers last year, said now that the event will be played in South Africa, his role in Rajasthan Royal's campaign will become bigger. "It definitely does put me under more pressure. Last year I could just do my thing as a player. I have already received calls from Warney, so I will most likely have more of a leadership role," said Smith. Meanwhile, the new batting sensation JP Duminy, who has been signed up by the Mumbai Indians, would have loved playing in India but is happy at least to figure in it. "I was kind of looking forward to experiencing the atmosphere of the Indian crowds, but I am excited the tournament will be in South Africa. I am just glad the tournament is going ahead," said the left-hander.

Indian media, players disappointed over losing IPL Indian media and top players expressed disappointment on Wednesday after cricket's showpiece IPL was moved to South Africa over security concerns in only its second year. More... Indian media, players disappointed over losing IPL Agence France-Presse New Delhi, March 25, 2009 First Published: 16:07 IST(25/3/2009) Last Updated: 16:09 IST(25/3/2009) Indian media and top players expressed disappointment on Wednesday after cricket's showpiece Indian Premier League (IPL) was moved to South Africa over security concerns in only its second year. The decision, announced in Johannesburg, follows days of uncertainty over the glitzy event, which was hailed as the sport's future on its debut last year but was thrown into doubt by recent terror attacks in Mumbai and Lahore. Organisers took the dramatic step of shifting the event abroad after Indian authorities could not guarantee security because of a clash with national elections, naming South Africa as the venue just three days later. "To move the event outside India has been one of the hardest decisions that the Board of Control for Cricket in India has had to take," said IPL commissioner Lalit Modi. "But I'm equally confident that staging it in South Africa will be a major success. We extend a huge gratitude to our friends at Cricket South Africa for agreeing to host the Indian Premier League in such a short time." The IPL and South Africa now face the mammoth task of organising the eight-team tournament, probably played over six venues, in just over three weeks with the start scheduled for April 18. The event is likely to be shortened from six weeks to five and include double-headers, with all matches broadcast live in South Africa by the Johannesburg-based SuperSport channel. The move abroad has been controversial in India, with an NDTV news channel showing 59 per cent of people opposed it and only 26 per cent were in favour. Some 50 per cent thought the relocation was a disgrace to India, revealing a sense of anger that India was not a trustworthy host of top-grade cricket. "The decision to outsource the tournament, even as schedules were being repeatedly revised, has come as a bitter disappointment -- publicly shared by the great Sachin Tendulkar -- to millions of fans," The Hindu newspaper said. "It is astonishing that Lalit Modi & Co missed what every newspaper-reading schoolboy and schoolgirl was expected to know, namely that the 15th general election would be held in April-May 2009." Tendulkar, who captains the IPL's Mumbai Indians and holds the all-time record for Test runs, said the players "would certainly miss playing in front of our supporters." "It is obviously going to be different," he said. "In India it is about home games and away games. Right now, everything is going to be an away game." Sri Lanka's star spin bowler Muttiah Muralitharan, who plays for Chennai Super Kings, agreed the move was unfortunate but inevitable. "I guess it would not be the same this year," he said. "But at the same time, the game must go on, else cricket would die. This is the right decision." November's Mumbai attacks, which left 165 dead, raised security fears for the tournament and this month gunmen in Lahore, Pakistan ambushed the Sri Lankan team's convoy, killing eight Pakistanis. The decision to move the IPL also caused fresh worries for next year's Commonwealth Games in New Delhi, although organisers insist they are not worried about security. The IPL has been seen as a fresh start for cricket and a shift from its traditional power bases to South Asia, where lucrative TV rights provide the sport's main source of income. The new order is highlighted by the IPL's glittering auction, where team owners including Bollywood stars and Indian tycoons bid large sums of money to sign up the world's top players. With the IPL heading for South Africa, the country is at the centre of the cricket world with Australia touring until April 17 and a 12-nation qualifying tournament for the 2011 World Cup starting next Wednesday. The International Cricket Council eight-nation Champions Trophy, the second biggest tournament after the World Cup, will also be held in South Africa during September and October.

Indian players disappointed after losing IPL India's top players are upset about the decision to move the Premier League showpiece to South Africa for security reasons. More... Indian players disappointed after losing IPL March 25 2009 at 12:26PM New Delhi - Indian media and top players expressed disappointment on Wednesday after cricket's showpiece Indian Premier League (IPL) was moved to South Africa over security concerns in only its second year. The decision, announced in Johannesburg, follows days of uncertainty over the glitzy event, which was hailed as the sport's future on its debut last year but was thrown into doubt by recent terror attacks in Mumbai and Lahore. Organisers took the dramatic step of shifting the event abroad after Indian authorities could not guarantee security because of a clash with national elections, naming South Africa as the venue just three days later. "To move the event outside India has been one of the hardest decisions that the Board of Control for Cricket in India has had to take," said IPL commissioner Lalit Modi. 'We extend a huge gratitude to our friends' "But I'm equally confident that staging it in South Africa will be a major success. We extend a huge gratitude to our friends at Cricket South Africa for agreeing to host the Indian Premier League in such a short time." The IPL and South Africa now face the mammoth task of organising the eight-team tournament, probably played over six venues, in just over three weeks with the start scheduled for April 18. The event is likely to be shortened from six weeks to five and include double-headers, with all matches broadcast live in South Africa by the Johannesburg-based SuperSport channel. The move abroad has been controversial in India, with an NDTV news channel showing 59 percent of people opposed it and only 26 percent were in favour. Fifty percent thought the relocation was a disgrace to India, revealing a sense of anger that India was not a trustworthy host of top-grade cricket. 'It is obviously going to be different' "The decision to outsource the tournament, even as schedules were being repeatedly revised, has come as a bitter disappointment - publicly shared by the great Sachin Tendulkar - to millions of fans," The Hindu newspaper said. "It is astonishing that Lalit Modi & Company missed what every newspaper-reading schoolboy and schoolgirl was expected to know, namely that the 15th general election would be held in April-May 2009." Tendulkar, who captains the IPL's Mumbai Indians and holds the all-time record for Test runs, said the players "would certainly miss playing in front of our supporters". "It is obviously going to be different," he said. "In India it is about home games and away games. Right now, everything is going to be an away game." Sri Lanka's star spin bowler Muttiah Muralitharan, who plays for Chennai Super Kings, agreed the move was unfortunate but inevitable. "I guess it would not be the same this year," he said. "But at the same time, the game must go on, else cricket would die. This is the right decision." November's Mumbai attacks, which left 165 dead, raised security fears for the tournament and this month gunmen in Lahore, Pakistan ambushed the Sri Lankan team's convoy, killing eight Pakistanis. The decision to move the IPL also caused fresh worries for next year's Commonwealth Games in New Delhi, although organisers insist they are not worried about security. The IPL has been seen as a fresh start for cricket and a shift from its traditional power bases to South Asia, where lucrative TV rights provide the sport's main source of income. The new order is highlighted by the IPL's glittering auction, where team owners including Bollywood stars and Indian tycoons bid large sums of money to sign up the world's top players. With the IPL heading for South Africa, the country is at the centre of the cricket world with Australia touring until April 17 and a 12-nation qualifying tournament for the 2011 World Cup starting next Wednesday. The International Cricket Council eight-nation Champions Trophy, the second biggest tournament after the World Cup, will also be held in South Africa during September and October. - AFP

Steyn thrilled with SA hosting IPL South Africa pace spearhead Dale Steyn is excited about the Indian Premier League coming to town. More... Steyn thrilled with SA hosting IPL Agencies Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 1550 hrs IST Durban : South Africa pace spearhead Dale Steyn is excited about the Indian Premier League coming to town and feels it will increase cricket's popularity in a country where the game has to jostle for space with rugby and football. "Imagine what this will do for the youngsters of my country," Steyn said. "When I was growing up, there were no World Cups in South Africa. I was excited just by the opportunity to watch Jonty Rhodes diving all over the place on television. "Now the kids of South Africa have a chance to go down to their local grounds and watch the best players in the world playing each other. There is already a real buzz in the country after the Test series against Australia," said the pacer who will turn out for Bangalore Royal Challengers. With election dates clashing with the IPL, organisers had to shift the tournament out of India and yesterday South Africa was confirmed as venue for the Twenty20 league. Steyn, though, was unsure whether the glitz and glamour that was part of the inaugural year could be replicated in South Africa at such short notice. "It will be interesting to see what can be achieved at such short notice," the 25-year-old told 'Cricinfo'. "The reception was amazing last year. We were really treated like rock stars everywhere we went," he said.

IPL will rock in South Africa: Pietersen Kevin Pietersen backed South Africa as the choice for second edition of the IPL and hoped the T20 extravaganza will be highly popular. More... IPL will rock in South Africa: Pietersen Agencies Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 1731 hrs IST London: England all-rounder Kevin Pietersen backed South Africa as the choice for second edition of the Indian Premier League and hoped the Twenty20 extravaganza will be highly popular in the rainbow nation. Pietersen, who has been bought by IPL's Bangalore Royal Challengers team for a whopping USD 1.55 million, feels the good weather and hard pitches will add to the attraction of the 37-day tournament in its new venue. "The weather will be good, the pitches will be hard and there should be some exciting cricket with some really big scores, which is what T20 is all about. England would have been a great host for the tournament as well, but now they've made the decision to go to South Africa I think everybody will get behind it and turn it into another massive event," the 28-year-old cricketer was quoted as saying in 'The Mirror'. The BCCI decided to shift the second edition of the cash-rich tournament in view of the recent terror attack on Sri Lanka cricketers in Lahore and general elections in India, with which dates of the tournament were clashing. South African-born Pietersen, who will lead the Bangalore Royal Challengers while he is playing, exuded confidence that the event will be a huge success in South Africa. "It will be great fun. The South African public love their Twenty20 and I'm sure it will be another great spectacle, like the World T20," Pietersen said. "Having some family back in South Africa means I will get the best of both worlds. We'll play in front of some passionate fans," he added. The tournament will now run a week later than initially planned, from April 18 to May 24, which will reduce the participation of Pietersen and his fellow England cricketers from three to two weeks.

IPL won't be same in South Africa: Warne Spin legend Shane Warne said it's a shame that the IPL had to be shifted to South Africa and felt 'it won't be the same' in the rainbow country. More... IPL won't be same in South Africa: Warne Agencies Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 1244 hrs IST Melbourne: Spin legend Shane Warne said it's a shame that the Indian Premier League had to be shifted to South Africa and felt "it won't be the same" in the rainbow country. Warne, who led underdogs Rajasthan Royal to title victory in the first edition, said it would not be possible for South Africa to match the frenzy that surrounded last year's IPL. "It'll be nothing like if it was in India, and it's a shame it can't be in India. It won't be the same as it being in India, but hopefully the South African public will get behind it and turn up to the ground and make it a great spectacle," Warne told reporters in Melbourne. The organisers moved the second edition of the IPL to South Africa as it's schedule clashed with the general elections in India. Recalling the victory in the inaugural tournament, Warne said, "To win it on the last ball last year as the underdogs, having been thrashed in our first game, was pretty special in front of 80,000 people." Warne also said the shifting of the tournament has disturbed their planning for the eight-team event. "We've done three months of planning about itineraries and practice matches and all sorts of things. We were all set to go. We started planning for England over the weekend and now we're planning for South Africa as of yesterday," he said.