Injury forces Jerome Taylor out of IPL

Guest gaurav_indian

Guest gaurav_indian

Injury forces Jerome Taylor out of IPL

Jerome Taylor, the West Indies fast bowler who was picked up by Kings XI Punjab in this year's auction, has withdrawn from the IPL due to an injury. Taylor sustained the injury from a motor vehicle accident. He has been replaced by the 26-year-old South African left-arm fast bowler Yusuf Abdulla, who made an impressive Twenty20 debut against Australia last week. The news of Taylor pulling out comes as a blow to the franchise, which has already lost the services of their most successful bowler from the previous season, Sreesanth, due to a back injury. Also, one of their most expensive players, Australian fast bowler Brett Lee, is recovering from a foot injury, and has not played any cricket this year. Ness Wadia, the Punjab owner, said having South African players in the squad will be "critical" to success in the second season because they know the conditions well. He cited that as one of the reasons for signing up Abdulla. "We will be playing six matches in Durban, which is Abdulla's home ground," he told reporters via telephone, "and he knows the ground better than anybody." Abdulla has played 26 Twenty20 matches, and his economy rate of 5.83 ranks among the best in the world. When asked about the financial impact on the franchise of moving the IPL to South Africa, Wadia felt there wouldn't be too much of an impact. "To be honest it balances (the extra costs and the savings made because of the switch) itself out," he said. "I personally don't think we lose much money because the IPL will be compensating us for certain things." Wadia said the franchises will definitely have to pay for using the South African grounds, and was unsure whether those costs will be underwritten by the IPL. He was also uncertain whether the franchises will get a share of the gate revenue. Punjab have also signed up Dave Nosworthy, head coach of the Lions, to assist coach Tom Moody. Wadia also confirmed that the franchise had chosen Port Elizabeth as their base for the tournament. "It is a small town where everything is five minutes away, which allows us to focus on practice and playing cricket."
http://content.cricinfo.com/ipl2009/content/current/story/398304.html

Was excited at the prospect of having Jerome Taylor in the IPL.. However, his replacement, Abdullah, really impressed me in the one off T20 between South Africa and Australia. He has good pace and most importantly great variation. If Abdullah can take care of not bowling too many wides, then he should be a success in the IPL. That was a good replacement. Although, the bowling lineup for KXIP is still in need of a couple of good pacers.

I think he seems optimistic about it . Not sure whether he will actually play. If the Aus-Pak series goes ahead, then he may miss it if selected for the team.

Lee sees IPL as ideal warm-up for Ashes Source: smh.com.au - March 14, 2009 Returning paceman Brett Lee insists the short sharp spells he will bowl in the Indian Premier League will be ideal preparation for what he hopes will be his third Ashes cricket tour of England. Lee is intent on making the tour after surgery sidelined him from Australia's current campaign in South Africa. The 32-year-old speedster has resumed bowling after ankle and foot surgery following the Boxing Day Test. "Everything is going great, so I'm definitely on schedule and feeling really good," Lee said while watching Australia's women in their World Cup match against India on Saturday. "Back bowling and the ankle is feeling great." He returns to action next month in a stint with IPL franchise Kings XI Punjab, with whom he played four matches in the inaugural season. Bowling in two or four over stints would hardly seem the best preparation for a potentially arduous Ashes tour, nor the ideal form of the game to press his claims, but Lee politely begged to differ. "I can bowl four straight depending on how the game goes. The way I look at it, it's the perfect lead in, so I'm actually really excited about it." Lee has enjoyed only modest success on the last two Ashes tours, taking nine wickets at 55 in 2001, and 20 at 41 in 2005, for an overall record of 29 wickets from ten Tests at 45.44. With 310 Test scalps at 30.81 from 76 matches, Lee was hoping his overall record rather than just recent form would sway the selectors in his favour. "I'm just hoping my record speaks for itself," Lee said. He struggled in the two series either side of taking 12 wickets at 21 in the two-Test home series against New Zealand. He took eight wickets at 61 in India and 1-249 against South Africa, though he needed pain killing injections to help him play the Boxing Day Test. Chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch made it clear both Lee and Stuart Clark, who last week returned to action following an elbow injury, would need to show good form to break back into the team. With Mitchell Johnson and Peter Siddle firmly establishing themselves in the team with their heroic efforts in South Africa and swing bowler Ben Hilfenhaus expected to thrive in English conditions, Lee and Clark are no certainties to regain their spots, even if they do make the squad. Lee praised the new quicks for their series-winning form in South Africa and recognised their emergence was good for Australia. "I think it's very healthy for Australian cricket," Lee said. "I always keep a note on what's happening overseas. The guys have been playing extremely well." - ADRIAN WARREN