Talk about expecting unexpected..

veer

Re: Talk about expecting unexpected..

Afridi is a lot more muscular than Punter. But i know whom i'll have on my team.
bumps, that is the most incorrect statement ever...... tell me, u were joking..... Afridi's arms are thinner than 14 yr old nephew... Punter has one of the biggest forearms in the sport.... it is almost as huge as Hayden's.....
Alright, alright, u get the point. I wanted to pick a small looking great and a big brainless dodo. When i applied the keyword, brainless, i hit Afridi's name right away. U can substitute SRT for Punter if u want to.

Exactly. U are making my point. Physique is different from fitness. Physique is not necessarily indicative of fitness. There are so many counter examples. Dravid has been supremely fit most of his career. while an Akhtar or a Bond, cannot complete one full season of cricket.
Bumper, It seems we are essentially saying the same thing but kind of approaching from different angle. Yes when I say good physique I am talking more about fitness rather than how much a person can bench. However I would also think that to be fit one has to have a good toned physique. The two go hand in hand. Sure one can point to the good catches picked by Sehwag, often airborn but that hardly shows him as fit. You mentioned mental strength, but where does mental strength from is my question? Amongst other things it may stem from an inherent self-beleif. The ability to look at your foe right in the eyes and not flinch. I am of the opinion that it certainly helps to be a well-built cricketer to do that. I mean call me cynical but I am not quite sure how an Agarkar would look into the eyes of Hayden or Symonds and not flinch. By the way Akhtar and Bond are not the best examples. They are fast bowlers and all fast bowlers break down at some time. Everyone from Marshall to Lillee, Trueman to Miller, Imran to Donald..they all did, though admittedly Bond and Akhtar break down more often. xxx

Re: Talk about expecting unexpected.. That's how an average Indian looks, Lurker. Let's not bash him because he reminds us of what we dislike in ourselves. And of course our strength doesn't lie in sports. We are a nation of doctors, engineers and information technologists. Let's be proud of it. My wife gives a damn about my thin arms anyway. And my son loves my pea sized biceps. Who cares?

Re: Talk about expecting unexpected.. 5 reasons you need to get fit for cricket 1. Performance - Fitness improves bowling speed, hitting power, reaction times and running speed. It does this for everyone without fail (no matter how old). What's more, even highly trained elite players suffer no loss of performance through bulking up - they are not training for huge bodybuilder muscles and neither should you. 2. Injury Prevention - Stronger bones, muscles, ligaments and tendons reduce the risk of injury. 3. Teamwork - Training in pairs or in a team is great for building camaraderie between teammates. Making training competitive also makes it more fun. 4. Variation - Playing cricket is the best way to get fit for cricket. That said, the body likes variation. Different activities cross train your body and keep your mind alert. 5. Health - General fitness makes you feel and look better in the rest of your life too.

You mentioned mental strength, but where does mental strength from is my question? Amongst other things it may stem from an inherent self-beleif. The ability to look at your foe right in the eyes and not flinch. I am of the opinion that it certainly helps to be a well-built cricketer to do that. I mean call me cynical but I am not quite sure how an Agarkar would look into the eyes of Hayden or Symonds and not flinch.
I dont know about that Lurker. That may just be a general perception. Again there are so many counter examples, that i can think of. Mental strength comes only from self-belief. Thats the only way to conquer pressure and keep urself focussed on the task at hand. If u have been BIG since childhood, u prided yourself bullying everyone around u, it may help your confidence a bit. But at the international level, am not sure being big helps u mentally. There are examples of many great batsmen who thrive under pressure, who are not so big. Most subcontinental names come to mind immediately. (Gavaskar, Aravinda De Silva, Dravid etc).

That's how an average Indian looks, Lurker. Let's not bash him because he reminds us of what we dislike in ourselves.
Dhonds.... i dont bash people based on their looks.... i dont think, Lurks is doing tht either.... the point we are trying to make is, those cricketers are not doctors, engineers or other professionals, for us to excuse their lack of a fit physique..... their job is to train and keep fit and they dont seem like tht.... tht was the whole point..... the whole concept of indians unable to look muscular is hog-wash..... Sehwag is paid millions to eat balanced diet and keep fat-free and agile.... not to eat aloo parata and dal-makhni.... u see our point? nothing to do with our race.... if, me as a busy person, who does not play any sport seriously, can train an hour a day and look much bigger than these babies..... they are paid millions to train and they look like doctors and engineers.... tht is the whole gripe... fack, the movie actors look more ripped and shredded and i am sure, these prima-donna are paid much more than tht...

:chin: I didn't get it .
SRT has been doing what RD has for more years ... is what Gambo says ..
LOL! The hypocrisy. The double standards. I can think of another guy who's been doing this and more 7 years more than Dravid has. Yet all that is talked about is his greed for money
Gambo fikar not you ... the Boss will be back ... and there shall be payback (and we can ensure that the payback will be a mean "beeyotch" :flux: )
Either that or an admission that the true master of Indian cricket is the one and only Rahul Dravid :hic:

:chin: I didn't get it .
SRT has been doing what RD has for more years ... is what Gambo says ..
LOL! The hypocrisy. The double standards. I can think of another guy who's been doing this and more 7 years more than Dravid has. Yet all that is talked about is his greed for money
Gambo fikar not you ... the Boss will be back ... and there shall be payback (and we can ensure that the payback will be a mean "beeyotch" :flux: )
too late boss.. i was hoping that payback will be in WC

Re: Talk about expecting unexpected.. Gats, Dravid is a batsman- doesn't need to be super-fit. Steve Waugh had a huge paunch. Lara's developed one. Sehwag spanked Shoaib & co all over Pakistan with a burgeoning one. OTOH, bowlers need to be fitness maniacs. Ours look OK. Sreesanth looks so fit. But he's never going to have arms like a gorilla. (You don't need any. Ask Glenn McGrath or Allan Donald. Or Imran Khan). I digress. Back to our strength. It's academics. People like Vroom & Observer top exams all over the world, solve the toughest problems. We are the brains trust of the earth. Did you get your job based on your biceps? You need to be fit to enhance your capacity for work. Everything else is a bonus.

Back to our strength. It's academics. People like Vroom & Observer top exams all over the world, solve the toughest problems. We are the brains trust of the earth. Did you get your job based on your biceps? You need to be fit to enhance your capacity for work. Everything else is a bonus.
we are both talking the same point, Dhonds..... we dont need to be shredded to do our jobs, i agree..... but i am talking about professional athletes who are paid millions, Doc.... if movie actors who are paid lesser can do it... if me, who workout jus for fun can do a fair job.... these guys are paid millions, why cant they???? tht is the main question..... so what, if Dravid is a batter.... wat other job does he have, than eat properly and train properly??? i agree, Tugga was known for his paunch... but then, who is defending him.... u would acknowledge cricket has become faster, this decade.... i clearly remember, Flintoff as an ugly fat oaf when he came in 7 yrs or so back... he has come back fully transformed..... he still carries those jellies, but he is in far better shape.... if an ugly fat-azz like Flintoff can transform himself, why cant ur Dravids, Gangulies and Agarkars do it, wen they are paid much more than him.... leave the genes out.... i have worked as a trainer and can guarantee u, unless u wanna be a bodybuilder, genes dont play a part.... anyone, with proper nutrition and training can look strong and slighhtly ripped.... and if millions of dollars cant motivate u, i dont know how they are answerable to the country....

Re: Talk about expecting unexpected.. What do you judge fitness by, Gats? Muscles? Dravid looks very fit to me. You don't need to have a washboard stomach for that. He has minimum body fat, a BMI around 22, and probably runs 30 miles a week. He has very high cardiovascular fitness. He'll live long. You are talking about the cosmetic stuff.

He has minimum body fat
i dont go by muscles for fitness, Dhonds..... the above statement of urs, contradicts with the picture.... and it will, in the case of Sehwag, Ganguly, Tendulkar, Zak, Dhoni, heck the entire indian team minus Kaif, Pathan and Balaji.... apart from those 3, none look like athletes....

Boss will be back I am sure. But the big question is will he also score some runs. :lmao:
And what made you think that I meant "idlis" instead of "runs" :flux:
don't forget the sambar. :hmph: