Colonel?s old guard backfired

Re: Colonel?s old guard backfired

Check his scores since he was selected for the South African tour and compare that with the rest of the batters.
He didn't play a single ODI in SA. All the ODI's he played were in India after the South African tour . Even Laxman had a great SA tour in tests. If S/R of 61 is good enuf , then why was VVS not in the ODI team. As a bowler Ganguly was sparingly used.

Re: Colonel?s old guard backfired Did I even mention just ODIs? I said check his scores and compare it against the rest. I can't quite understand why is he being targeted here? As for strike rate being brought up every time, India were not even able to bat through 50 overs against Bangladesh. The problem was not the strike rate it was the lack of ability of batters to even play full 50 overs.

Did I even mention just ODIs? I said check his scores and compare it against the rest. I can't quite understand why is he being targeted here? As for strike rate being brought up every time, India were not even able to bat through 50 overs against Bangladesh. The problem was not the strike rate it was the lack of ability of batters to even play full 50 overs.
He is not being targeted. But , if he was selected to play the sheet anchor role, then I would have prefered playing laxman over him especially considering the fact that laxman has done well in Carribbean. Also, how is it a good innings to have a S/R of 51. I fail to understand that. He didn't even try to accelerate when needed.Even Zaheer and Munaf were able to accelerate the scoring when needed.

Re: Colonel?s old guard backfired Agree that wasn't the best inning he played but how about the rest of the batters? Each one of them struggled to get going including Rahul Dravid that day. As for his selection, he was the best batsman India had going by the last few games. There was no way Laxman was going to be selected over Ganguly considering the number of ODIs Laxman has played in the recent past. Hindsight is great but when selecting the team they had to go by current form and Ganguly deserved a place in the team.

As for strike rate being brought up every time, India were not even able to bat through 50 overs against Bangladesh.
Are you saying that if you can't bat through 50 overs atleast play slowly and cautously so that the resulting score is easily reached by the opposition? Wickets falling at the other end is not a reason for crawling to a near full stop. 3 RPO is not going to win you the game. He was clearly playing to ensure that he won't be blamed if we end up losing instead of playing to get us a win.

Re: Colonel?s old guard backfired You had Sehwag, Uthappa, Tendulkar in the hutt even before anyone realised. Then we had Rahul Dravid in the company of Ganguly and at that point in time they both were just happy to bat and not worry about runs. When Yuvraj joined Ganguly, they both started to put together decent partnership at a decent rate. Unfortunately Ganguly got out trying to up the run rate. It is possible if he struck around for a while the strike rate wouldn't really have been that bad in the end.

As for strike rate being brought up every time' date=' India were not even able to bat through 50 overs against Bangladesh.[/quote'] Are you saying that if you can't bat through 50 overs atleast play slowly and cautously so that the resulting score is easily reached by the opposition? Wickets falling at the other end is not a reason for crawling to a near full stop. 3 RPO is not going to win you the game. He was clearly playing to ensure that he won't be blamed if we end up losing instead of playing to get us a win.
Yes but 191 all out in 48 overs is better than 150 all out in 32

Then we had Rahul Dravid in the company of Ganguly and at that point in time they both were just happy to bat and not worry about runs.
That is when we started to lose the match. Anyway you slice it, SR of 51 against a team like Bangladesh is not acceptable. Better than a single digit score, that's all.

Re: Colonel?s old guard backfired ^Ravi, he got out to a terrible shot trying to slog immediately after Yuvraj's dismissal. He should have let Dhoni get his eye in for an over or 2. I dont have problems with such innings as long as the batsman compensates for the slow batting towards the end, but to get out like that is sinful. Moreover, its a lot about attitude and approach. Even if Aus or any other top team lose a couple of quick wickets against minnows they seldom slow down to snail's pace. They continuously take singles and maintain 4-5 RPO without a sweat.

^Ravi, he got out to a terrible shot trying to slog immediately after Yuvraj's dismissal. He should have let Dhoni get his eye in for an over or 2. I dont have problems with such innings as long as the batsman compensates for the slow batting towards the end, but to get out like that is sinful. Moreover, its a lot about attitude and approach. Even if Aus or any other top team lose a couple of quick wickets against minnows they seldom slow down to snail's pace. They continuously take singles and maintain 4-5 RPO without a sweat.
Exactly. Even Hayden take time to open his account 1(19) against West Indies . But , he compensated later and ended with 158(143) with a S/R of 110. Ganguly never bothered to rotate the strike during his innings.
Guest dada_rocks

Did I even mention just ODIs? I said check his scores and compare it against the rest. I can't quite understand why is he being targeted here? As for strike rate being brought up every time, India were not even able to bat through 50 overs against Bangladesh. The problem was not the strike rate it was the lack of ability of batters to even play full 50 overs.
He is not being targeted. But , if he was selected to play the sheet anchor role, then I would have prefered playing laxman over him especially considering the fact that laxman has done well in Carribbean. Also, how is it a good innings to have a S/R of 51. I fail to understand that. He didn't even try to accelerate when needed.Even Zaheer and Munaf were able to accelerate the scoring when needed.
Laxman $hit anchor in odis can i have whatever u are smoking
Guest dada_rocks

Re: Colonel?s old guard backfired Yeah tednulkar the great got bowled throught the gate in all important match because ganguly was in the team.. i see usual rats are out of the hole with their bs spouting...........

Yeah tednulkar the great got bowled throught the gate in all important match because ganguly was in the team.. i see usual rats are out of the hole with their bs spouting...........
Yeah right. What did Ganguly do in that match . He scored a commendable 9 runs of 23 deliveries. Remove your blinkers. This ganguly was playing with an agenda. Otherwise explain his 61 S/R in this WC. I am not saying others didn't suck , but Ganguly sucked equally. His average of 54 is misleading. Need to take the S/R into account. PS. No need to call people having different opinion "Rats" .

Yeah tednulkar the great got bowled throught the gate in all important match because ganguly was in the team.. i see usual rats are out of the hole with their bs spouting...........
If you had read my earlier posts they were aimed at the flawed strategy of having Tendulkar in the middle order. If Tendulkar opening means, Ganguly plays in the middle order or doesn't play at all, so be it. You have to play and back the greatest ODI opener at his preferred position. Now if you try understanding whats being said rather than calling posters names you might actually reduce the spouting of what you are accusing others of doing.

Re: Colonel?s old guard backfired WE opened with uthappa doidn't we? And if we had opened with Sachin i can see the people going why did we change the winning combination which was working. Ganguly was awful. That was not the Ganguly one wants to see. He just could not accelerate. And i am not talking about Bangladesh but bermuda. He simply was unable to accelerate. As for the bangla match i would have preferred that he batted out the 50 overs before going for that shot. He may have scored slowly but he freaking scored.