Time to Leave Australia ?

Desi Cartman

PM of Australia speaks

KEVIN Rudd has called for calm in the Indian community over recent attacks on Indian students, stressing that violence is part of life in cities and that Australia is one of the safest places in the world for foreign students. In a radio interview this morning the Prime Minister said Australia had a heritage of tolerance and called for perspective in the wake of a series of attacks on Indian students in Melbourne and Sydney that have triggered several days of angry protests by the Indian community. Mr Rudd said he condemned violence against any person - "Chinese, Indian Kalathumpian, Queenslanders, anybody” - including in reprisal for earlier attacks. “The truth is, in our cities right across the country, there are acts of violence every day,” Mr Rudd told 3AW in Melbourne. "That's just a regrettable fact of urban life.” Calling on people to draw breath and calm down, Mr Rudd said he had sought advice on student safety and been advised Australia was "one of the safest countries in the world” for international students. "Let's get our statistics right,” he said. "Australians in India at any time run the risk also of some violence. In the last decade I was advised we had, I think, up to 20 Australians who have either been murdered or had various forms of assault committed against them. "Now that is not the result of Australians being targeted in India. That's just a fact of violence in cities all around the world.” He urged Indian students who had been attacked or felt threatened to advise police immediately. And if they believed their complaint was not dealt with properly, they should contact their Member of Parliament. In an apparent attack on Indian politicians, he also said: "Let's also put this into perspective in terms of politicians elsewhere perhaps seeking to inflame this debate as well.”

KEVIN Rudd has called for calm in the Indian community over recent attacks on Indian students, stressing that violence is part of life in cities and that Australia is one of the safest places in the world for foreign students. In a radio interview this morning the Prime Minister said Australia had a heritage of tolerance and called for perspective in the wake of a series of attacks on Indian students in Melbourne and Sydney that have triggered several days of angry protests by the Indian community. Mr Rudd said he condemned violence against any person - "Chinese, Indian Kalathumpian, Queenslanders, anybody†- including in reprisal for earlier attacks. “The truth is, in our cities right across the country, there are acts of violence every day,†Mr Rudd told 3AW in Melbourne. "That's just a regrettable fact of urban life.†Calling on people to draw breath and calm down, Mr Rudd said he had sought advice on student safety and been advised Australia was "one of the safest countries in the world†for international students. "Let's get our statistics right,†he said. "Australians in India at any time run the risk also of some violence. In the last decade I was advised we had, I think, up to 20 Australians who have either been murdered or had various forms of assault committed against them. "Now that is not the result of Australians being targeted in India. That's just a fact of violence in cities all around the world.†He urged Indian students who had been attacked or felt threatened to advise police immediately. And if they believed their complaint was not dealt with properly, they should contact their Member of Parliament. In an apparent attack on Indian politicians, he also said: "Let's also put this into perspective in terms of politicians elsewhere perhaps seeking to inflame this debate as well.â€
Unbelievable statement by a leader of a country. Instead of condemning those who committed these crimes, the ****** is actually justifying it saying things like this happen everywhere, so no big deal.

It astonishes me the extent to which this nonsense has been spun, twisted and exaggerated beyond belief, almost to the stage where diplomatic relations between the two countries are affected. Reading this thread gives you the impression that people harbour a deep sense of animosity towards Indians simply because they're Indians. If you can, for one moment, put your patriotism aside and get over the initial shock that Indians have been attacked, you can see, as much as I hate to say it, a majority of these problems are self inflicted. If you keep accusing Australia of being a racist country, than even those people who are sympathetic to your cause, will at one stage or another, turn against you. If the opposing point of view is ignored and if everybody screeches "Racism, Racism" at the top of their lungs everytime one of these attacks take place, they'll just tell you to F*** off. Other than racism, there are other perfectly reasonable explanations that describe these attacks. Read into them and perhaps than, our conversation would be much more meaninful.

It astonishes me the extent to which this nonsense has been spun, twisted and exaggerated beyond belief, almost to the stage where diplomatic relations between the two countries are affected. Reading this thread gives you the impression that people harbour a deep sense of animosity towards Indians simply because they're Indians. If you can, for one moment, put your patriotism aside and get over the initial shock that Indians have been attacked, you can see, as much as I hate to say it, a majority of these problems are self inflicted. If you keep accusing Australia of being a racist country, than even those people who are sympathetic to your cause, will at one stage or another, turn against you. If the opposing point of view is ignored and if everybody screeches "Racism, Racism" at the top of their lungs everytime one of these attacks take place, they'll just tell you to F*** off. Other than racism, there are other perfectly reasonable explanations that describe these attacks. Read into them and perhaps than, our conversation would be much more meaninful.
Can you really point out how many here are saying indians are being attacked just because they are indians.

read the article
Victoria's police Chief Commissioner Simon Overland has admitted that some of the attacks on Indian students were "clearly racist in motivation''.
http://www.theage.com.au/national/attacks-on-students-clearly-racist-overland-20090610-c2l9.html Its better to provide better security than to come up with lame excuses like Indians are more prone and bla bla ... With 1% population Indians have been victims of 30% of the attacks ... I agree that Indian media is milking it but we do have a problem

Can you really point out how many here are saying indians are being attacked just because they are indians.
Can we drop the racism issue and acknowledge that there are other reasons that logically describe the situation but are overlooked because we are in a shock that supposedly only Indians are singled and targetted. Dig an inch beneath the surface and you'll find these constant racism allegations are as far from the truth as pluto is from the sun There are other realities that are just too depressing and difficult to confront, hence everybody is screeching "Racism, Racism" when evidence suggests otherwise.

To correct what I've said in post 215: A guy gets mugged on the street at 12:00 A.M. The guy happens to be Indian. - Is that racism or just an easy target My point is there is not a clear enough distinction between what are genuinely racist attacks and what are mere oppotunistic crimes that have labelled racist simply to fan flames and add to the hysteria Now, if anything happens to an Indian, even if it was due to his own wrong doing, it will immediately be labelled racist.

Can we drop the racism issue and acknowledge that there are other reasons that logically describe the situation but are overlooked because we are in a shock that supposedly only Indians are singled and targetted. Dig an inch beneath the surface and you'll find these constant racism allegations are as far from the truth as pluto is from the sun There are other realities that are just too depressing and difficult to confront, hence everybody is screeching "Racism, Racism" when evidence suggests otherwise.
when someone calls u a curry muncher , black bastard etc b4 punching then thats racism .. I dont know what u r on about but rather than asking other to look under the surface, i request you to do that. I wouldnt say all this without suffering from the racist taunts and an attack myself.

To correct what I've said in post 215: A guy gets mugged on the street at 12:00 A.M. The guy happens to be Indian. - Is that racism or just an easy target My point is there is not a clear enough distinction between what are genuinely racist attacks and what are mere oppotunistic crimes that have labelled racist simply to fan flames and add to the hysteria Now, if anything happens to an Indian, even if it was due to his own wrong doing, it will immediately be labelled racist.
I agree ...

To be fair there are a lot more Indians in Australia then there are Australians living in India.
True but its not a sport Bradman. We cant compare scores and attacks per 100 foreigners. I think he shouldnt have compared it. None the less Im happy that Police is taking action now and there are a lot more cops doing rounds :two_thumbs_up: If you are in melbourne then you'll remember how good it was 8-9 years ago. There was always some security in the trains late at night. Sometimes it was pvt security guards other times connex staff and sometimes it would be police. There has to be some presence. Btw here is a nice article http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25616905-28737,00.html . No blame game but only reality. I think Indians liked it here and they are only here because they pay the universities and have legal visas. Its high time that people understand that its an industry and it supports our economy.