GREG CHAPPEL RESIGNS

Parth

Re: GREG CHAPPEL RESIGNS

stop supporting SRT blindly. How do we know that lot of these unconfirmed reports were truly originating from Chappell + was there any truth to these that SRT decided to pre-empt the board meeting and spoke out. I think its the players fault for the poor performance but given all the news and SRT outbursts Chappell figured that there was no way he was going to stay as a coach and hence resigned. Its sad but at least now that he is free of the coachign responsibility hopefully he can name names and give an honest view of what ails Indian cricket and how it can be fixed. This makes his report on the 6th more valuable than before.
Let's see, GC has a proven record of lies to cover his faults/mistakes, over someone who even during his prime worked the hardest in the nets in the team and played with so many injuries for the love of the game and team, it's obviously a very difficult choice to trust the later. Not only that, saying GC is right would make Wright yet another liar who even made money with his lies about tendu in the book.

Tendulkar should retire or be sacked immediatley
care to explain why?
Cause he didn't perform in World Cup, he is getting much slower, in terms of picking the ball, he is getting old and is not performing.

Tendulkar should retire or be sacked immediatley
care to explain why?
Cause he didn't perform in World Cup, he is getting much slower, in terms of picking the ball, he is getting old and is not performing.
2 bad games are too short of a period to apply this criteria..yes he is not Sachin circa 98 but still better that what we have on bench.

Re: GREG CHAPPEL RESIGNS Its not a question of believing leaks. We dont know what Chappell really believes and we dont know for sure who is behind the leaks but we know what SRT said there is no denying that and hence SRT cant wash his hands off the outcome (Chappell resigning). Now for a second lets focus on what SRT said - he said that no has questioned his attitude before. Was he referring only to the leaks or was he referring to what Greg communicated to him during his term as the coach? In my judgement he wouldnt worry about responding to the leaks if he knew they were wrong i.e. he was sure that Chappell didnt believe he had an attitude problem. So I am deducing that he responded because thats what Chappell really believes i.e. he has an attitude problem and wont give up the opening position for the team. In such a case I give no value to his defense about how much he lvoes cricket etc. Look at the media reports before the last wrold cup in SA - there were similar issues with opening (Sehwag, Ganguly and SRT) and he put his foot down firmly at that point too so its fair to believe he repeated the same this time except the captain and coach were more assertive and he had to yield and started sulking. I was a big SRT fan but the more I read into this situation the more I conclude that he is not a team player and he was beyond his prime. Plz do us a favor SRT and quit else I hope the selection committee takes a tough decision and ends his career now.

Re: GREG CHAPPEL RESIGNS Guys, it is official http://content-www.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/288789.html Greg Chappell, India's coach, will not be seeking an extension of his contract, which expired at the end of the World Cup. Chappell informed the board president of his decision on Wednesday, citing "family and personal reasons." Chappell, 58, had served as coach since June 2005. Sharad Pawar, the BCCI president, said that Chappell had informed him about his decision in the afternoon. "Chappell's contract is over. It was up to the World Cup. I got a telephone call from him in the afternoon. Due to his family and personal reasons he was not interested in continuing the contract. He thanked BCCI for the opportunity." The decision follows India's early exit from the World Cup, and the resulting war of words in the media between Chappell and senior players. The BCCI had convened a meeting on Friday to review the team's performance in the Caribbean, which Chappell had been asked to attend along with a detailed report on his tenure. However, the controversy seemed to boil over on Wednesday morning when The Times of India published an interview with Sachin Tendulkar - known for avoiding comment on controversial topics - in which he made several pointed remarks about Chappell. "We do realise that we played badly and, as a team, we take full responsibility for that", Tendulkar said. "But what hurt us most is if the coach has questioned our attitude." Tendulkar's statements summed up the growing divide between Chappell and the team management, including captain Rahul Dravid, and the senior players. In this light, his decision to call it a day on his India job appeared inevitable. There is no word from the BCCI on a possible successor. India's next assignment is a Test and one-day series in Bangladesh next month and the Board may appoint an interim coach while scouting for a long-term prospect. Chappell's tenure included a record-breaking run of India winning 17 ODIs while chasing, and a Test series win in the West Indies. It saw several young players, including S Sreesanth and Dinesh Karthik, breaking through into the national side to some acclaim. But it also had its share of controversy, including a bitter and public feud with Sourav Ganguly, who was team captain when Chappell took charge but was sacked within four months. Ganguly returned to the national team during last year's tour of South Africa. He was among the runs then, and ensured his selection to the World Cup side; he continued scoring in the Caribbean but the team management was apparently unhappy with his slow scoring rate. In his letter, released to the media, Chappell, said, "I am grateful to the players with whom I have worked in this time for the challenges that they presented me with and which I tried to meet in a professional, methodical and interesting way in the interests of the team and the individual." He went on to thank the support staff who worked with him for their efforts. "I would like to make special mention of my support staff without whom I would not have survived the rigours of the past 22 months," he said. "Ian Frazer and Greg King deserve special mention for their efforts as do John Gloster, S Ramakrishnan and Ramesh Mane. I am particularly grateful for the wonderful support of my family, especially my wife Judy, who has enjoyed the experience as much as I." Chappell also had a word for the people of India who followed cricket so passionately. "The people of India deserve a special mention as they are the ones whose attention, enthusiasm and love and support drive the great game, and business, of cricket in this country, and around the world," he said. "I thank them all, especially those who have written to me and the thousands who have gone out of their way to come up to me with well wishes." "I am also grateful for the opportunity to extend my knowledge and awareness of this region and for the wonderful friends that I have made here," Chappell wrote in his release. "I look forward to continuing my contact with India in the coming years and I wish Indian cricket and all those involved with it much joy and success in the future." Chappell also thanked the media for the support he had received from them in the course of his tenure. "To the media, my thanks also for constantly forcing me to question myself, my thinking and the way I went about my job of guiding the team through the many tests that we faced." ? Cricinfo

Guys, it is official -- CHAPPELL RESIGNS http://content-www.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/288789.html Greg Chappell, India's coach, will not be seeking an extension of his contract, which expired at the end of the World Cup. Chappell informed the board president of his decision on Wednesday, citing "family and personal reasons." Chappell, 58, had served as coach since June 2005. Sharad Pawar, the BCCI president, said that Chappell had informed him about his decision in the afternoon. "Chappell's contract is over. It was up to the World Cup. I got a telephone call from him in the afternoon. Due to his family and personal reasons he was not interested in continuing the contract. He thanked BCCI for the opportunity." The decision follows India's early exit from the World Cup, and the resulting war of words in the media between Chappell and senior players. The BCCI had convened a meeting on Friday to review the team's performance in the Caribbean, which Chappell had been asked to attend along with a detailed report on his tenure. However, the controversy seemed to boil over on Wednesday morning when The Times of India published an interview with Sachin Tendulkar - known for avoiding comment on controversial topics - in which he made several pointed remarks about Chappell. "We do realise that we played badly and, as a team, we take full responsibility for that", Tendulkar said. "But what hurt us most is if the coach has questioned our attitude." Tendulkar's statements summed up the growing divide between Chappell and the team management, including captain Rahul Dravid, and the senior players. In this light, his decision to call it a day on his India job appeared inevitable. There is no word from the BCCI on a possible successor. India's next assignment is a Test and one-day series in Bangladesh next month and the Board may appoint an interim coach while scouting for a long-term prospect. Chappell's tenure included a record-breaking run of India winning 17 ODIs while chasing, and a Test series win in the West Indies. It saw several young players, including S Sreesanth and Dinesh Karthik, breaking through into the national side to some acclaim. But it also had its share of controversy, including a bitter and public feud with Sourav Ganguly, who was team captain when Chappell took charge but was sacked within four months. Ganguly returned to the national team during last year's tour of South Africa. He was among the runs then, and ensured his selection to the World Cup side; he continued scoring in the Caribbean but the team management was apparently unhappy with his slow scoring rate. In his letter, released to the media, Chappell, said, "I am grateful to the players with whom I have worked in this time for the challenges that they presented me with and which I tried to meet in a professional, methodical and interesting way in the interests of the team and the individual." He went on to thank the support staff who worked with him for their efforts. "I would like to make special mention of my support staff without whom I would not have survived the rigours of the past 22 months," he said. "Ian Frazer and Greg King deserve special mention for their efforts as do John Gloster, S Ramakrishnan and Ramesh Mane. I am particularly grateful for the wonderful support of my family, especially my wife Judy, who has enjoyed the experience as much as I." Chappell also had a word for the people of India who followed cricket so passionately. "The people of India deserve a special mention as they are the ones whose attention, enthusiasm and love and support drive the great game, and business, of cricket in this country, and around the world," he said. "I thank them all, especially those who have written to me and the thousands who have gone out of their way to come up to me with well wishes." "I am also grateful for the opportunity to extend my knowledge and awareness of this region and for the wonderful friends that I have made here," Chappell wrote in his release. "I look forward to continuing my contact with India in the coming years and I wish Indian cricket and all those involved with it much joy and success in the future." Chappell also thanked the media for the support he had received from them in the course of his tenure. "To the media, my thanks also for constantly forcing me to question myself, my thinking and the way I went about my job of guiding the team through the many tests that we faced." ? Cricinfo