I hate this format of the world cup... and seeding

Hope so.....but they dont have to. They just have to lose by a smaller margin. So if I was the Holland captain and Pakistan sets a target of 160' date= In would tell my team to take it easy and score 100 runs with some wickets intact.
Are you sure? I read THX's post in some other thread saying that if Pak win by 25runs that will be just enuf to see them through. Yeah...I read cricinfo and they too state that Pak should win by a margin of 60 runs to go through:dontknow:
Where does the Cricinfo's "Pakistan needs to win by 60 runs" come from ? Without doing the actual calculations - Netherland's NRR is practically 0, while Pakistan's loss margin was 48 runs. So if both teams play 20 overs tomorrow and Pakistan wins by 24-25 runs, the NRRs of the two teams should meet. ie, winning by 25-26 runs should be sufficient for Pakistan. Is there any more complicated maths involved here ? PS : Well..... As per Don Sharma's post below, ThX1138 has already mentioned it in some other thread :(
Are you sure? I read THX's post in some other thread saying that if Pak win by 25runs that will be just enuf to see them through. Yeah...I read cricinfo and they too state that Pak should win by a margin of 60 runs to go through:dontknow:
No, I am not sure. I have not done any maths. I was just talking hypothetically. What I meant was that the Holland captain should know by what margin they can lose to progress to the next level and make sure that the plans are accordingly.
26 runs and while chasing, they should chase within 17 overs around 160. (assuming a 20-over game, of course)
No' date=' I am not sure. I have not done any maths. I was just talking hypothetically. What I meant was that the Holland captain should know by what margin they can lose to progress to the next level and make sure that the plans are accordingly.[/quote'] No... I hope they go into the match with a winning mentality. Remember what happened to Zim after beating Australia in their opening match in the last WC. I hope that doesnt happen to the Dutch:pray:. The Dutch should be as aggressive as they were against England.
26 runs and while chasing, they should chase within 17 overs around 160. (assuming a 20-over game, of course)
Oh ok. Pakis' bowling looks far better than their batting.So if the Dutch win the toss they should bat first and try to defend it.I think Younis also will bowl first if he wins the toss.
WC2003 format is indeed better. The goal of T20 WC should not be to "maximize minnow chances". Neverthless, I'm happy to have read that Eng got beaten by Nedz :laugh:
I dont think so, it gives more than a chance for the so called favoured teams to make a comeback look at England, if the team looses both the games they dont deserve to be in the competition. bharat, if the format you suggested of having six teams each group was in place, we wuld have to bear 18 group games involving the minnows and how boring would that get?

As one of them mentioned above the only good test nation that may miss out will be either Sri Lanka or Australia. It will hurt the tourney and the quality of the second round if either of the team is not going to make it. As for Pakistan, they should be able to beat Netherlands by 26 runs margin. They may not be one of the better sides in the tourney but they are definitely good enough to win against Netherlands by 26 runs or over. Their batting is crap but their bowling isn't too bad I reckon but their lack of enough match practice will mean they will struggle under pressure. If Netherlands do score over 150 runs Pakistan will be under huge pressure. Pakistan will be better off bowling first.

As one of them mentioned above the only good test nation that may miss out will be either Sri Lanka or Australia. It will hurt the tourney and the quality of the second round if either of the team is not going to make it.
There is a Group of Death in almost all World Tournaments and we owe that to the seeding process Now since one of these teams would be knocked out, supposedly Australia, presuming the ICC continues using the seeding process in the formation of the groups, we would have another Group Of Death for the next 2011 T20 WC, unless ofcourse they fall in the group which consists of Bangladesh. This is imo is good for the viewers, may be not for the tournament, but the Group of Death spices up the Group Stage.

Seeding... I dont like the format of 'Seeding' the teams in this WC. Apart from creating such dead rubbers in the group stage like Ind v. Irl, WI v. SL and NZ v. SA, there is even more serious problem of MATCH FIXING. Say suppose the Pakis had beat England, given the history of the team, there is every chance they would have thrown away the game against the Dutch. The only advantage I could see here is from fans perspective, where they can buy tickets well in advance for crucial games, apart from that I dont see any major merit of such a format. This format doesn't augur well for the game at all.The old format of progressing to the next stage based on points tally should be brought back.

It would be chaos if there was no seeding for fans. India tickets sold out in half a day last summer...imagine the letdown and all the ticket touts who by/sell if there was no such seeding. It helped us plan our cricket timetable, and also to book time off work etc.