Its time we give credit where its due.

Ram

Re: Its time we give credit where its due.

They still remain 1 of the top Mennows.
Thank You my dear. Please keep calling us that. If our lil Kiddi players understand even a little bit of English (which they do, just a lil bit. Just look at Ashraful, man, its painful to watch him try to get his words out! But thank God he used his time learning how to bat, not to speak English. Helps too, he won't understand a single bully word that comes out of our lovely opponent?s mouth.), that should act as a chip on their shoulders. And MAN! How I love teenage boys with chip on their shoulder!

Re: Its time we give credit where its due. Bangladesh fans you can celebrate your teams win. But you need to look at this: Did bangladesh win these two matches (against India and SA) because of your skills and talents or is it because opponents made too many mistakes on that day? If it is the latter then you're going to welcome these type of wins only very rarely! Good luck!

Re: Its time we give credit where its due. No doubt bd players deserve a pat on the back and for them this world cup is already a success. Should we call them minnows, i wouldnt, they beat NZ,Ind and SA in the last 4 weeks or so. England lost of NZ and SA and had they played India they would have struggled to beat us. So hats of to BD team. Now lets see how the players and fans handle this success. Basher has been talking crap of late which is fine by me, its just that he has to be careful with what he wish's for.

Did bangladesh win these two matches (against India and SA) because of your skills and talents or is it because opponents made too many mistakes on that day?
I think it was more of them underestimating us than making too many mistakes. They underestimated us, the stars aligned and we played good, they panicked and lost. Why do u think I like the minnows tag? As long as people underestimate us, we are going to win the odd ones. Those kids will start to look at other teams as opponents not someone to worship. And for a startup cricket nation, that is precious self confidence. But truly, when we play good, we play good, don?t u think? We charge the bowlers, actually hit the stumps, get people clean bowled. Those are skills, can?t really take those away from us.

Ireland are better than Banglastan.
My dear, after we performed SO WELL (!) against AUS and NZ I was thinking the same. Then SF happened, even the ever cynical yours truly, started to believe in them. Tell me this, if we do indeed beat the Fighting Irish (gotta love the Notre Dame Football team), will you at least give us the top minnows title? PLEASE PLEASE??

Now lets see how the players and fans handle this success. Basher has been talking ***** of late which is fine by me' date=' its just that he has to be careful with what he wish's for.[/quote'] Hey, I am trying to be as cynical as I can, trying not to get my head as inflated as Bashar.

My dear' date=' after we performed SO WELL (!) against AUS and NZ I was thinking the same. Then SF happened, even the ever cynical yours truly, started to believe in them. Tell me this, if we do indeed beat the Fighting Irish (gotta love the Notre Dame Football team), will you at least give us the top minnows title? PLEASE PLEASE??[/quote'] I like this fella's style.

Did bangladesh win these two matches (against India and SA) because of your skills and talents or is it because opponents made too many mistakes on that day?
I think it was more of them underestimating us than making too many mistakes. They underestimated us, the stars aligned and we played good, they panicked and lost. Why do u think I like the minnows tag? As long as people underestimate us, we are going to win the odd ones. Those kids will start to look at other teams as opponents not someone to worship. And for a startup cricket nation, that is precious self confidence. But truly, when we play good, we play good, don?t u think? We charge the bowlers, actually hit the stumps, get people clean bowled. Those are skills, can?t really take those away from us.
Radagast, your reply seems to suggest that Bangladesh's win is just a fluke. Teams are not gonna continue underestimating a team that has beaten them once. We can evaluate the success of this Bangladesh team and the skills of players if they sustain this winning habit and consistently get recognized in coming games and series.

Radagast, your reply seems to suggest that Bangladesh's win is just a fluke. Teams are not gonna continue underestimating a team that has beaten them once. We can evaluate the success of this Bangladesh team and the skills of players if they sustain this winning habit and consistently get recognized in coming games and series.
Huh? What? I suggested BD's win was a fluke??? Wasn't that your suggestion??? Or did I read it wrong? "Did bangladesh win these two matches (against India and SA) because of your skills and talents or is it because opponents made too many mistakes on that day?" I so thought you were questioning BD's "skills and talent". And my answer was, keep on questioning our "skills and talent" and our win (we won coz the other team made "too many mistakes". Oh BTW, thank you very much "the other team"), in the mean time, we will continue to improve, and hopefully have more "shoking" results. Was that good enough explanation?? Pardon my short comings, English IS my second language.

Re: Its time we give credit where its due. why is Bangles taking so long to develop as a cricketing nation, inspite of so many chances??? it is really depressing to see it still act like a minnow, pulling off some rare upsets, which are more due to the other team playing bad rather than their own skills???

Since test status in 2000.. our Win/Total ratio is (in 6 years time): 33/118= 28%
Firstly this is a ODI stats, Bangladesh has only one test win and that against Zimbabwe I think. Out of the above 33 ODI wins I can remember the following wins that deserves credit : 2 wins against India 1 win against Pakistan 1 win against Australia 1 win against Pakistan About 5 wins against test playing nations in 6 year's times, sorry not good enough to be counted among the top teams :shrug: Bangladesh still is one of the lesser teams. They are getting there slowly but not as yet. I'm quite glad they are starting to improve though. Always good to have more nations competing at a better level :wtg:
where as India's Win/Total from 1974-75 to 1980-81 (6 years) is 5/25= 20%
Is the above stats for tests or ODIs. Also how come you have used some random number of years??? Why from 1974 to 1981?
its only ODI, as we are talking about ODI right now. the reason for chosing 1974 to 1981 (6 years) was to show the initial stage India started playing ODI as Bangladesh spent 6 years till their test status. I wanted to show that at initial stage every team struggles. actually last 2 years we couldnt get to play that much ODI against big teams... but hopefully coming years we have plenty to play and we will show our worth.

BARBADOS, April 9: Bangladesh may have spoilt India's party but they haven't stopped singing vanquished skipper Rahul Dravid's praises for his sportsmanship. Dravid, devastated by India's loss to Bangladesh on March 17 in India's opening game of the 2007 World Cup, gave a good account of the largesse of his spirit after the game. Once back in his hotel in Port of Spain Trinidad, Dravid asked Bangladesh opener Tamim Iqbal if he could see him in his room. Tamim, not knowing what to expect, knocked with a little trepidation at Dravid's door. To his surprise, he saw Dravid waxing eloquent platitudes on Tamim's brilliant batting on the day. Tamim had scored a half century in stirring fashion after his side had been set a target of 192 in the afternoon. The 17-year-old left-hander went after Indian medium-fast bowlers with gusto and even hoisted Zaheer Khan deep into the second tier of the mid-wicket stands. By the time he was out, Bangladesh was well on its way to scripting one of the most stirring moments of his nation's cricket history. Dravid, in the evening in his room, not only praised Tamim but also presented him with a bat as a token of his appreciation. Tamim was overwhelmed but his happiness knew no bounds when Dravid presented him with another bat, to be given to young wicketkeeper-batsman Mushfiqur Rahim. Mushfiqur too had proved a big thorn in India's flesh that day when he scored an important half century for Bangladesh and anchored their innings to safety. Mushfiqur, promoted to one-drop, had batted sedately and opened out only towards the end to rush his team to victory. Says Tamim, "I'm overwhelmed. For him to do so after India's chances in the World Cup had taken a knock shows the spirit in which Dravid plays his cricket. We now have a number of admirers for Indian captain in our dressing room." Dravid is known for such gestures in international cricket. He is known to advice a number of young cricketers from Bangladesh and Sri Lanka periodically on how to improve their cricket. A number of Bangladesh cricketers benefitted from his insight and advice on the game when India last toured the neighbouring country in 2004. Pakistan skipper Younis Khan has acknowledged how Dravid's advice turned around his career in 2004. It was in 2004 Champions Trophy in England when Younis requested Dravid for batting tips. "I talked with Dravid who gave me some tips about batting and about life." "After that everything has changed so I have just followed his instructions and the results are there." The results were so good for Younis that he, at one stage of his career, had hit four centuries in four Tests against India.
Source: http://worldcup.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1881265.cms Dont know it was posted before or not but Dravid appreciated their victory

Looks like you guys did a pretty good job organizing series against Kenya and the Zimboks lately. BTW they are (also) called minnows and we typically exclude them when we discuss our maharathis (ganguly, SRT, Dravid) scoring stats and our own win stats as well. And BTW, India winning the 1983 world cup was indeed called a stunner. Some on this board will disagree, yes we did one ODI against WI prior, but we were indeed a ODI laughing stock before 1983. We even lost a warmup to "minor-counties" during the world cup warmups. I am not sure if the "minnow" tag was applied then to us in ODIs, probably not, cause we played so less and our ineffiencies weren't exposed as often although we had to win 83 and then the B&H in 85 to ask for or get any kind of congratulatory pat. I say minnow tag can be safely removed if either of the following happens: 1. You win any multi-team ODI series which involves a non-minnow 2. You win a ODI or test series against any non-minnow
FYI, we didnt arrange the series against kenya and Zim, rather they were under FTP, only may be one away series against ken and Zim was arranged later as we were free that time. I do agree with your points about being recongnized in big leagues. I dont want to fight over whether we should be called minnow or not, just wait and BD will show its worth.

Re: Its time we give credit where its due. The only way bangladesh can shake off th minnow tag is by not having a good victory one day and lose by 10 wickets the day after that.. And boy , i never the tag minnow had so many permutations and combinations associated with it.. :hic: :hic:

Ireland are better than Banglastan.
dear brother... i understand that you still couldnt recover from that defeat. its ok, its just a single game, oh sorry... just remebered you were out of the WC for that...oops..

we should be called minnow or not' date=' just wait and BD will show its worth.[/quote'] been waiting for too long now....
just a little more patience mate, its only 6 years we are playing test. this is why i showed the sat for India during her initial 6 years struggle. from 74-75 to 80-81, in initial 6 years time, they only secured 5 wins out of 25. though they were playing test from 1932 and played more than 120 tests by then. dont you think its too early to ask a lot from BD. but the thing is, this BD team is quite young with lot of ppotential, and if you notice, all the games we have won against the big teams in couple of years, the performers were all young lads, liek Ashraful, Mashrafee, Aftab. so good days are coming.