Dravid Is India's New Spin Coach

Re: Dravid Is India's New Spin Coach

Zoot, imagine, a long running, successful message board broke up over this man, never to recover. That's the measure of the loyalty the man commands.
Actually, ... it had more to do with the immaturity of the moderators. The outright lies, the bullying (of even guys like Gullu ?!?!?) and the incendiary neverending threads tearing apart every word, every syllable that someone on the opposition said, I think, had more to do with it. Remember that imp "BladeBhai" ??? He was like PakPassion--all rolled into 1 poster ... just on our side. You co-opt guys like that and bully Gullu ... ... your site deserves to die! The biggest fantasy I could never get past was the fact that the Gang. supporters ONLY REMEMBER THE GOOD STUFF ... the narrow win against England in the NatWest, the win against Australia in the 2001 Test Series and World Cup runners-up. No one remembers the 22 other tournament losses and the lack of professionalism that was bound to catch up with India--AND IT DID. Ganguly was not dismissed because of his successes, but because of his failures ... and those had reached a breaking-point. This is conveniently forgotten.

Maan theres a lot of support for Dravid but after reading a lot of the posts by dada fans I have to say some Indian fans just care about certain players and not about the team. We blame the zonal selection system but seems like zonal bias has vastly impacted some of the members on this forum..hopefully they will take their blinders off and grasp the reality Dravid = team man, tough under pressure, true leader SRT and Ganguly = selfish old farts
A most common refrain among some Indian fans is to put down other cricketers to praise their favourite(s). You say that others care about certain players and you hate that but what are you doing here?

Re: Dravid Is India's New Spin Coach Dravid has had a problem sure captaining either because of lack of form players or proper personnel. As a batter you can't question his commitment. I still remember when India toured Pakistan and Pakistan raked up nearly 700 runs in the first test and Shoaib was on fire. The first ball that was bowled hit Sehwag's helmet and raced away for a four. Rahul Dravid as captain in a surprised move opened the inning. It wasn't the best move in the long run but to face Pakistan in Pakistan and to open the inning, only he could have done it. Put Ganguly, Tendulkar or anyone in Indian cricket in that place and expect them to do that. Not a chance in the world they simply won't put themselves against the new ball in such a situation. The rest is history of course. Rahul Dravid and Sehwag raked up over 400 runs for the first wicket. That one move shows Rahul's commitment. I don't find him an exciting captain and rather not have him as captain at all but there is no choice it seems. I think it shows lack of leadership values in the Indian cricket team. There is not a chance in the world you can question his batting credentials though. Even against Sri Lanka in the World Cup he was the one to put his hand up and play sensibly. Unfortunate there were not many that could do the same on that fateful day.

Re: Dravid Is India's New Spin Coach Actually Ganguly was begging Dravid to let him open, and given Dravid's pitch-reading abilities, I'm sure Ganguly and everyone else knew the century was there to be taken, no wonder he (Gangs) was so eager to open.

Actually Ganguly was begging Dravid to let him open' date=' and given Dravid's pitch-reading abilities, I'm sure Ganguly and everyone else knew the century was there to be taken, no wonder he (Gangs) was so eager to open.[/quote'] That infamous mid pitch discussion between Dravid & Ganguly, with Greg looking on? Ganguly was telling Dravid, "You open, and we'll be fine". They even got a lip reader in to decipher that bit. Why are you changing things around?

Actually Ganguly was begging Dravid to let him open' date=' and given Dravid's pitch-reading abilities, I'm sure Ganguly and everyone else knew the century was there to be taken, no wonder he (Gangs) was so eager to open.[/quote'] But u are missing the point tho. Ganguly may have volunteered to open (am not very sure he did) because he was desperate to do anything to stage a come back at that time. And opener's spot was the only available one for the taking (as his competition was Jaffer & Gambhir who were still unestablished). When he had numerous chances to do such a gutsy thing when he was captain himself, he sent Sehwag & Yuvraj (good middle order batsmen, trying to just break into the test team) to open the innings. It may look simple now, looking back at it, saying flat pitch & all. But it certainly didnt look so easy, when Pak raked up 600+ total in the 1st innings. Agree with Ravi that no other Indian captain would have had the guts to lay himself on the line on such an occassion.

Re: Dravid Is India's New Spin Coach As I said and mentioned in newspapers as well, Ganguly begged him to open and it was even caught on camera IIRC. I agree it was a bold move, but saying no one else would do it is wrong. And eventually he kept opening which was another tactical mistake.

As I said and mentioned in newspapers as well' date=' Ganguly begged him to open and it was even caught on camera IIRC. I agree it was a bold move, but saying no one else would do it is wrong. And eventually he kept opening which was another tactical mistake.[/quote'] Simple question, who did it? Tendulkar, Ganguly, Azhar and a few others that led India never opened in a test match even under dire situations. They sent MSK Prasad, Parthiv Patel and few others to open but not themselves. When they had a chance they didn't do it, it's as simple as that.

Re: Dravid Is India's New Spin Coach Eventually it was a mistake for him to keep opening, so yes they didn't make that mistake, even if it was a bold one. Although given Ganguly's eagerness to open in that match makes you wonder how dire a situation that really was

Eventually it was a mistake for him to keep opening' date=' so yes they didn't make that mistake, even if it was a bold one. Although given Ganguly's eagerness to open in that match makes you wonder.[/quote'] Hindsight is great but in reality it was only Rahul Dravid to do it. He scored two back to back hundreds doing that. Fair enough he didn't do well in the last test match but none did well either. We can't write it off as a mistake as he didn't continue to open from then on. As I said Tendulkar sent MSK Prasad against the likes of McGrath and the rest in Australia. He could have gone up the order and batted at the top considering Indians hardly put runs on the board. Similarly with Ganguly, he could have gone up and batted at the top several times instead he choose the likes of Yuvraj Singh, Sehwag and even Parthiv Patel. You got to give it to Rahul Dravid for backing himself to play anywhere in the order and also for not worrying about facing the new ball.

See that's all fine and dandy but if you think about RD the same way some do about Ganguly you can easily find ulterior motives as well' date=' but fortunately I'm not one of those :hic:[/quote'] Certainly. It is not like Rahul Dravid is picture perfect, he has his share of issues but just that he is a fantastic batsman no doubting that. I was referring to Dhondy about the maturity Rahul Dravid has shown as a batsman and also his willingness to put his hand up when responsibility beckons.

Re: Dravid Is India's New Spin Coach This thread is going on for too long. What are the points we've established? 1. RD's commitment to his team is unquestionable and his batting is tremendous 2. He has had an up and down term as captain 3. Every Indian captain has had a similar roller-coaster term, not one other (not even ganguly) had a tenure of consistency. 4. There is no other player who consistently performs and illustrates leadership potential to take over the reins for RD. 5. RD stays as captain...period I don't really care about people's predilections to their favorite players or their particular regions. Lets face the facts nobody, literally nobody is a better option and RD isn't bad. He has a lot of guts (ala declaring tendulkar 194) and is professional and lets just focus on improving our fielding, batting and bowling and the results will come anyways no matter who the captain is! If everyone plays well...we win quite a simple concept!

Re: Dravid Is India's New Spin Coach Dravid is captain only because we have no one better. Yes, he is professional, hard-working, etc, but the team has done rather poorly under him. He has made some pretty bad decisions which have led to some pretty poor results. May be a lot of it was because of Chappell's ungli. We will know over the next two series if he can separate himself from Greg's legacy.

As I said and mentioned in newspapers as well' date=' Ganguly begged him to open and it was even caught on camera IIRC. I agree it was a bold move, but saying no one else would do it is wrong. And eventually he kept opening which was another tactical mistake.[/quote'] Anakin, how can u ignore the context of the issue here ? I clearly explained why Ganguly's move had a motive, didnt I ? When he did NOT have a motive to open and had an opportunity to open, he threw Yuvraj & Sehwag to the wolves. I guess what Ravi meant was, no captain under these circumstances would have done what Dravid did.

Re: Dravid Is India's New Spin Coach Didn't I say thinking alike some of you, one could easily think of ulterior motives as well? You explained what you think is the motive, doesn't make it right or wrong, does it? And actually "throwing Sehwag to the wolves" was a brilliant move, so see again you're looking at it from the wrong angle, while almost everybody else with less hate would see it as brilliant calculation which paid off big time until recently. Who is right? I'm sure you'd think you're and that's the way it naturally is.

Didn't I say thinking alike some of you, one could easily think of ulterior motives as well? You explained what you think is the motive, doesn't make it right or wrong, does it? And actually "throwing Sehwag to the wolves" was a brilliant move, so see again you're looking at it from the wrong angle, while almost everybody else with less hate would see it as brilliant calculation which paid off big time until recently. Who is right? I'm sure you'd think you're and that's the way it naturally is.
For one Sehwag there has been a MSK Prasad, Parthiv Patel, Laxman, Yuvraj, Bangar and few others. It's not about right or wrong. The fact is very plain and simple. Both Tendulkar and Ganguly despite being openers in ODIs did not front up to open the inning in test matches but sent guys like MSK Prasad (that was the worst choice) and the rest. Whether that move would have been excellent or not is secondary. They could have opened considering they opened in ODIs for a consistent period of time but they didn't.