Ponting slams England for violating spirit of the game.

Australia captain Ricky Ponting has dismissed former England coach Duncan Fletcher as "irrelevant" in their latest war of words before the Lord's Test starting on Thursday. Fletcher, who so infuriated Ponting during the 2005 Ashes series with his borderline tactics, accused the skipper of hypocrisy for saying that England played outside the spirit of the game in Cardiff last Sunday. England's time-wasting tactics, which included sending their 12th man and team physiotherapist onto the ground for no apparent reason during the dying moments at Sophia Gardens, have divided opinion in the sport. Fletcher grabbed the chance to take a pot-shot at Ponting in his column this week and said the Australia side were the worst-behaved team on the planet. The captain returned fire on Wednesday. "He is an irrelevant person in my world and probably in the cricketing world right at the moment," Ponting said. The Tasmanian run machine was in a good mood in the lead-up to the start of the second Ashes Test and if the post-match fallout from Cardiff was bothering him, he wasn't showing it. "I don't think I have ever been pulled up for anything outside of playing within the spirit of the game," said Ponting. "We have always had the finger pointed about us about that sort of stuff. "But we never seem to get in too much trouble from the authorities about the spirit of the game." Ponting hoped the dramas of Cardiff would be soon forgotten. "I didn't think I made that bigger deal of it the other day to tell you the truth," he said. "I didn't think it was required when it happened. "But as I said the other day, we just got on with it as quickly as we could and tried to get them off the ground as quickly as we could to get on with the game. "It seems to be lingering around a little bit, it's the furthest thing from my mind at the moment."

Australia captain Ricky Ponting has dismissed former England coach Duncan Fletcher as "irrelevant" in their latest war of words before the Lord's Test starting on Thursday. Fletcher, who so infuriated Ponting during the 2005 Ashes series with his borderline tactics, accused the skipper of hypocrisy for saying that England played outside the spirit of the game in Cardiff last Sunday. England's time-wasting tactics, which included sending their 12th man and team physiotherapist onto the ground for no apparent reason during the dying moments at Sophia Gardens, have divided opinion in the sport. Fletcher grabbed the chance to take a pot-shot at Ponting in his column this week and said the Australia side were the worst-behaved team on the planet. The captain returned fire on Wednesday. "He is an irrelevant person in my world and probably in the cricketing world right at the moment," Ponting said. The Tasmanian run machine was in a good mood in the lead-up to the start of the second Ashes Test and if the post-match fallout from Cardiff was bothering him, he wasn't showing it. "I don't think I have ever been pulled up for anything outside of playing within the spirit of the game," said Ponting. "We have always had the finger pointed about us about that sort of stuff. "But we never seem to get in too much trouble from the authorities about the spirit of the game." Ponting hoped the dramas of Cardiff would be soon forgotten. "I didn't think I made that bigger deal of it the other day to tell you the truth," he said. "I didn't think it was required when it happened. "But as I said the other day, we just got on with it as quickly as we could and tried to get them off the ground as quickly as we could to get on with the game. "It seems to be lingering around a little bit, it's the furthest thing from my mind at the moment."
Yes, Ponting, this beats me too.
So according to Ponting its ok to do anything as long as you don't get punished. Anyways the war of words has started *sits down with a bag of popcorn and a diet coke*
Why not water? Come on man, be healthy! Anyways, I'm over this issue, just saying that it's not fair to forget about this issue just because people think we don't play in the spirit of the game.. It's all irrelevant really though, cause aussies are gonna win :two_thumbs_up:
"But we never seem to get in too much trouble from the authorities about the spirit of the game."
That is the essence. Aussies get away with all their BS and hence think they are doing just fine. If Ponting gets fined at least a few times for his excessive appealing like many of our Indian players do, he would probably learn to behave.
Bradman, rewind to WC99. The game btween Aus v/s WI. Must win game for Aus and also they needed to go into Super Six with points so they need windies to go with them. What does S. Wugh do? They deliberately waste deliveries, blocking, blocking, until NRR of Windies was better than kiwis. So what the in spirit of the game?? I would say No What that cheating? I would say No
there you go bro... hit the nail on the head... edited by Mod, offensive
No' date= not really I was overseas. Thats not the point though, even if the umpires say it's ok, it's still obvious that it's not on.
Were you on the moon or what? The matches were there to see anywhere in the planet, either on tv or on web.. and even if u dint watch it live.. the news papers, both online and offline were screaming about your Pwnting' 4th Umpire act for next 10 days or so (thank god, the perth test started late).. and you coming here and talking as if you knew nothing about the Sydney test.. makes me laugh..
Were you on the moon or what? The matches were there to see anywhere in the planet' date=' either on tv or on web.. and even if u dint watch it live.. the news papers, both online and offline were screaming about your Pwnting' 4th Umpire act for next 10 days or so (thank god, the perth test started late).. and you coming here and talking as if you knew nothing about the Sydney test.. makes me laugh..[/quote'] I don't know about you mate but I generally use holidays as a time to get away from everything and relax rather then watch tv, read newspapers or go on the web etc.. I caught up with a bit of it, but I didn't see it live. Vid?
As he said he hardly even made a deal out of it' date=' it's you guys who are making it out as if he did. He was just frustrated, as you would be.[/quote'] this is what he said
"I'm not sure what the physio was doing out there. I didn't see anyone call for the physio to come out. As far as I'm concerned, it was pretty ordinary, really
obviously he IS making a deal out of it.he is Aussie captain n anything he says in media cant be trivial.he is whining about it.he could have defused the matter by saying that its a part of the game or as Hauritz said he would've done the same thing.but he chose to crucify it.just bcoz he says he doesnt wanna make a big deal about it doesnt mean he is not.we all know Ricky
this is what he said obviously he IS making a deal out of it.he is Aussie captain n anything he says in media cant be trivial.he is whining about it.he could have defused the matter by saying that its a part of the game or as Hauritz said he would've done the same thing.but he chose to crucify it.just bcoz he says he doesnt wanna make a big deal about it doesnt mean he is not.we all know Ricky
Just because he disagrees with it doesn't mean that he is making a big deal out of it. He said what he felt he needed to say, then didn't mention it again really. What Hauritz said supposedly, I haven't seen it is stupid.
I don't know about you mate but I generally use holidays as a time to get away from everything and relax rather then watch tv, read newspapers or go on the web etc.. I caught up with a bit of it, but I didn't see it live. Vid?
Check youtube, I'd send you a link but I'm at work
Just because he disagrees with it doesn't mean that he is making a big deal out of it. He said what he felt he needed to say' date=' then didn't mention it again really. What Hauritz said supposedly, I haven't seen it is stupid.[/quote'] ofcourse he is.whats the point of saying it media?he wants the matter to go on.he didnt mention it again bcoz he didnt need to.he had already fuelled the fire.n what Hauritz said,is not stupid,its common sense n honesty
Just now on BBC Radio Ian Chappell saying, Ponting should be the last person to talk about playing in the spirit of the game. He said Australia aren't exactly the team that plays in the spirit of the game :haha:
LMFAO, there is at least one OZ who knows what is hypocrisy