India's New Bowling Coach Venkatesh Prasad Says ............

Re: India's New Bowling Coach Venkatesh Prasad Says ............

Repeat after me...Mediocre players make great coaches...Great players make poor coaches...And the reason is...We don't know...We don't care....
Not necessarily. There are always exceptions, ie; Geoff Marsh and Bobby Simpson were great players and turned out to be great coaches as well.

Repeat after me...Mediocre players make great coaches...Great players make poor coaches...And the reason is...We don't know...We don't care....
Not necessarily. There are always exceptions, ie; Geoff Marsh and Bobby Simpson were great players and turned out to be great coaches as well.
There are exceptions, yes. But in general... It is true in the US sports as well. Pretty much every successful NBA coach is a no-name or at the most a very ordinary ex-basketball player.

So you are saying its hard to find mediocre players :eek:
Unfortunately not all. Seems like a good pre-req, but not sufficient.

There are exceptions, yes. But in general... It is true in the US sports as well. Pretty much every successful NBA coach is a no-name or at the most a very ordinary ex-basketball player.
Not really. I don't watch basketball because it's crap, so i wouldn't know. What i do know is that some of the greatest coaches in NFL history were top class players at either collegiate level or at top level in the NFL itself. New York Giants coaches like Bill Parcells, Ray Perkins, Dan Reeves, Ray Handley etc. were great players in their day, and you also have others like Mike Ditka and Tom Flores. In soccer too, there are plenty of exceptions. There have been instances of great players getting the job without any experience whatsoever and they eventually ended up winning their country the World Cup. Beckenbauer, Zagallo are ones i can think of. At club level, the list is too long

Re: India's New Bowling Coach Venkatesh Prasad Says ............ For really making sense out of this discussion , we should first decide what makes a good coach. Personally , I would say a coach should have these charecteristics. 1) Excellent working knowedge in the field. And "working knowledge" does not mean experience. We have seen enough players to kno that the number of matches they have played has got nothing to do with the cricketing acumen they have. 2) Should have the capacity to vision , plan and execute. 3) Should be tough task master who drives the players out their comfort zones and makes them work harder... 4) Intelligent enough to understand the needs of the induvidual players. Often , the role of a coach is exageratted. We have to remember that all these are intnl' players who have gone through various levels of scrutiny to come up to this level. They know what to do. Coach is just the guiding factor , not someone who gives instructions. 8 years ago , if someone told me the name John buchanan , my first reaction would be -- " john who ?? "... There is little proof to say that good players make good coaches. And after all , a coach is only as good as the team. So all this claims of prasad being a crappy coach is just knee jerk reaction..

Re: India's New Bowling Coach Venkatesh Prasad Says ............ Yeah. Somehow I have a better feeling too. Man that Sohail incidence :lmao: tells me that he knows how to keep coool in the heated maahol and deliver. He has done it few times if I remember correctly. We dont need a guy who teaches them to :wall: but to :chin: first and then :wtg: Give him a chance at least. We have seen what greatest bugger has done in two years. Why not try him. Anyways, our bowlers are not going anywhere w/o coaching. They can only improve from where they are. So no harm. GIVE IT A SHOT. :wtg: :wtg: