Why hasn't Cricket spread across the world?

Cricket has been played for more than 100 years now and has a great history.But still it is limited to England and its former colonies.Why hasn't Cricket spread across the world unlike Tennis,Football and some other olympic sports?Is it because of its 5-day format or lack of proper marketing?What's the reason?

You will get the reply if you look at the lesser teams. Take Kenya for example. They were doing so well at one point of time....what did ICC or rich boards like BCCI/CA/ECB did to help them improve? They died a death of poverty for lack of sponsors. Then, for a long time, Cricket was all about cricket. That was a time when it was very difficult for new teams to get in. Look at Bangladesh for example....test match is not just anyone's cup of tea. Even ODIs are not. May be T20 will do what never happened.

Cricket has been played for more than 100 years now and has a great history.But still it is limited to England and its former colonies.Why hasn't Cricket spread across the world unlike Tennis' date=Football and some other olympic sports?
First of all I have never grasped this idea of the "need" for making cricket extra popular. All things considered cricket is one of the most popular sport in the entire world. You compared it with tennis, I can assure you more people play cricket today than tennis, and more people follow cricket than they follow tennis. Now admittedly this is because of large South Asian population but so what? Every sport is popular in certain areas lot more - football in Latin America, baseball in US and so on. Pound for pound cricket has to be one of top 5 most followed sports in the world.
Is it because of its 5-day format or lack of proper marketing?What's the reason?
Neither. Cricket is a tough game to understand. Ever wondered how many women in India do not understand the difference between lbw and clean bowled?? And this when they are born and raised in a cricket mad nation surrounded by cricket coverage 24*7. Well how do you expect a Chinese to understand it then? It is very easy to understand football, or basketball or tennis, but cricket has lot more depth and knowledge to it. You have to understand the game to really appreciate it. xxx
First of all I have never grasped this idea of the "need" for making cricket extra popular. All things considered cricket is one of the most popular sport in the entire world. You compared it with tennis, I can assure you more people play cricket today than tennis, and more people follow cricket than they follow tennis. Now admittedly this is because of large South Asian population but so what? Every sport is popular in certain areas lot more - football in Latin America, baseball in US and so on. Pound for pound cricket has to be one of top 5 most followed sports in the world. Neither. Cricket is a tough game to understand. Ever wondered how many women in India do not understand the difference between lbw and clean bowled?? And this when they are born and raised in a cricket mad nation surrounded by cricket coverage 24*7. Well how do you expect a Chinese to understand it then? It is very easy to understand football, or basketball or tennis, but cricket has lot more depth and knowledge to it. You have to understand the game to really appreciate it. xxx
Fully agree on that. Cricket is much more complicated than most other games. And it tests the patience of the players and the spectators equally. But I dont agree with the first part of your statement. Spreading of the game is necessary for the survival of the game. It never remains the same. Change is inevitable. Therefore, if it's not getting more popular, its definitely losing popularity. If its not spreading, its reducing. Look at test cricket- we have already lost Zimbabwe. West Indies is on the way down so rapidly, that it will be out soon. Bangladesh is reduced to nothing. Pakistan has been a show of continuous collapses. We are left with India, Australia, England, New Zealand and Srilanka for standard test teams. Five.
But I dont agree with the first part of your statement. Spreading of the game is necessary for the survival of the game. It never remains the same. Change is inevitable. Therefore, if it's not getting more popular, its definitely losing popularity. If its not spreading, its reducing. Look at test cricket- we have already lost Zimbabwe. West Indies is on the way down so rapidly, that it will be out soon. Bangladesh is reduced to nothing. Pakistan has been a show of continuous collapses. We are left with India, Australia, England, New Zealand and Srilanka for standard test teams. Five.
I would be more worried with the decline of popularity of cricket in nations like West Indies and England. Zimbabwe situation is highly political and not sure much we can do about it. But West Indies and England are two powerhouses and increase in cricketing popularity in Laos or Vietnam is not going to account for it. I would argue similarly the case for Pakistan and Bangladesh. This is not to suggest that I have anything against spreading of cricket, surely the more the merrier, but I do have issues with regards to priority. As an example I would loath to see cricket "spreading" with meaningless 20/20. If the spread creates decent enough team noone would be happier than me. xx
I completely agree with everything you said except this part. Cricket is nowhere close to being one of the most popular sports in the world. Football is the easily the MOST popular sport' date=' more that 200 countries play the game. I feel that Basketball, Tennis are more popular than cricket.[/quote'] No, you are wrong. Cricket is ranked 2nd just behind Football
Fully agree on that. Cricket is much more complicated than most other games. And it tests the patience of the players and the spectators equally. But I dont agree with the first part of your statement. Spreading of the game is necessary for the survival of the game. It never remains the same. Change is inevitable. Therefore, if it's not getting more popular, its definitely losing popularity. If its not spreading, its reducing. Look at test cricket- we have already lost Zimbabwe. West Indies is on the way down so rapidly, that it will be out soon. Bangladesh is reduced to nothing. Pakistan has been a show of continuous collapses. We are left with India, Australia, England, New Zealand and Srilanka for standard test teams. Five.
Please tell me you forgot about SA.

1.> It an organized sport. You just cant call your friend and say lets go and play cricket this weekend. Needs an entire team and equipment and that brings in the need for organizers, managers or whatever you may want to call them. 2.> For casual players even a 20-20 game takes at least half the day, of which half the time you will sit around.

No' date=' you are wrong. Cricket is ranked 2nd just behind Football[/quote'] That may actually be true, if number of people following the game is a measure. That would also tell you, that rank is entirely based on 1 billion in india following cricket.
1.> It an organized sport. You just cant call your friend and say lets go and play cricket this weekend. Needs an entire team and equipment and that brings in the need for organizers, managers or whatever you may want to call them. 2.> For casual players even a 20-20 game takes at least half the day, of which half the time you will sit around.
I have done that so many times. Call a friend or the boys in the building and play one-on-one cricket.

T20 is the only version of cricket which can truly spread around the globe like soccer. Before we had Test and ODIs in which not many were interested, but now with T20 things can change. Once new countries and associates embrace T20 and start playing regularly and doing well in it, then eventually they could progress to ODIs and Test cricket. ICC is the biggest culprit here, they have destroyed cricket more than spreading it. What did they exactly do when Kenya was doing well? What are they doing for Ireland, who have shown time and time again that they are well capable of competing with big guns (no Pak jokes plz):cantstop:. Associates hardly get any exposure against big guns other than World Cups.

1.> It an organized sport. You just cant call your friend and say lets go and play cricket this weekend. Needs an entire team and equipment and that brings in the need for organizers, managers or whatever you may want to call them.
As opposed to soccer where you need just 2 players, right? :finger:

Cricket is played by a lot of associate teams. You will be surprised I once played against Argentina U19 team and they were quite good in the field. They had good skills but they also knew the ICC would never really take any of these teams seriously. ICC goes to places like Samoa, China and the likes to spread the game while there are several countries that are good at it but don't get a look in. Take a look at Ireland... they have dominated ICC associate teams consistently for a long time but they don't get a look in. Slowly and surely their up coming players won't be motivated to play because they can't earn their living through cricket. In the end it all comes down to ability of the players to earn enough to keep playing the sport. ICC is as dud an organization there is. If they are having any say in the sport that is because Indians and Aussies pump a lot of money into ICC. If ICC today was abolished and Inidans/Aussies took over the reign, cricket will truly be a world sport. Moreover how long has it taken the ICC to counter umpiring issues, chucking issues, ball tampering, dwindling test cricket interest and many more serious issues posing threat to cricket? Forever.... simply put ICC is full of non performing political pawns that know nothing about cricket or even is in touch with corporate world of late.

I have done that so many times. Call a friend or the boys in the building and play one-on-one cricket.
we are talking about spreading to other parts of the world. Try doing that in USA where they are trying hard to promote cricket.