The Ashes Checkpoint

:hmmm: I thought Anderson/Onions were bowling conventional swing. Didn't see any reverse really.
I haven't seen any reverse during the entire series. Makes me wonder at times what it takes to become a cricket journalist when you can shamelessly confuse between reverse and conventional swing 20 times in an article and get paid for it.
Anderson is no Zaheer Khan' date=' but at the same time he sticks to what you suggest Pathan should do - just concentrate on swing, his strength, rather than experiment with cutters and slower balls all the time. BTW, Anderson can reverse swing it. The conditions in this series have been dreadful for any reverse swing and I haven't seen any bowler do it, though if you want the lulz you should read this insightful article by an Australian about how it was reversing all over the place at Edgbaston.[/quote'] Anderson can reverse it. But there's a big difference in just finding it the odd time because the conditions all come together or actually looking ahead and planning for it and executing it (which is what the Indian team has managed to do with Zaheer). Anderson does swing it well, but my point regarding Pathan is that Pathan has to learn how to swing the ball consistently when there is swing (like with the new ball) first and then grow into other techniques. I've seen Pathan absolutely waste the new ball when there was swing by bowling cutters/slower deliveries/bouncers and it was just painful.
Anderson can reverse it. But there's a big difference in just finding it the odd time because the conditions all come together or actually looking ahead and planning for it and executing it (which is what the Indian team has managed to do with Zaheer). Anderson does swing it well, but my point regarding Pathan is that Pathan has to learn how to swing the ball consistently when there is swing (like with the new ball) first and then grow into other techniques. I've seen Pathan absolutely waste the new ball when there was swing by bowling cutters/slower deliveries/bouncers and it was just painful.
I agree. And as I noted in my earlier post as well that Anderson is no Zaheer, but is not a bad bowler at all. Swing bowlers will always be a bit of a risk factor when the ball is going straight on, unless you are a Kapil Dev. But he adds a lot of value to the English attack, specially because they have the option of playing 5 bowlers. I usually ignore the hyperbole that the English media indulges in because if you give in to that it's nigh impossible to like and appreciate even a single English cricketer.

Looks like Lee is 100% fit for Headingly, will probably come in for Siddle from the looks of it : http://www.cricinfo.com/engvaus2009/content/current/story/418067.html

Brett Lee is adamant he is fit enough to lead Australia's Ashes fightback at Headingley on Friday despite concerns within the team over his ability to last the match. Lee missed the opening three Tests with a side strain but has bowled for the past eight days and believes he has done enough to demand selection. When asked if he was ready to play, Lee was blunt: "Yes, 100%." And have you done the work? "Yes." He spoke minutes after Shane Watson said Lee would need a warm-up game before appearing in a Test and Jamie Cox, the selector on duty, must have reservations about the fast bowler appearing in such a crucial contest. Australia have to win at Headingley to have a chance of taking the series and retaining their No. 1 ranking, which will drop to four if they lose. After improving his output over the past week, Lee, who has been given a medical clearance, does not understand the fitness concerns. "Hopefully I've done everything I can to prove that I'm ready to go," he said. "I'm confident if I was called upon tomorrow I'd be ready to get through. I was out there today charging in, bowling rapid, and am really happy with the way I've gone." At the start of the tour there were serious questions over Lee's place in the side following a long recovery from ankle surgery, but he showed he was still Australia's leading man with seven wickets in Worcester during the final warm-up before the opening Test. However, his plans were crushed when he suffered the side problem and had to watch Mitchell Johnson and Peter Siddle struggle while England took a 1-0 lead. "Honestly, it's been really, really difficult," he said of watching. "I love playing cricket and would love to be out there. Sitting on the sidelines [was hard] when I was ready to play the first Test. Unfortunately I've had two muscle strains in 18 to 20 years of cricket. It's just happened at the wrong time." If Lee is picked, it will increase pressure on Siddle and Johnson, while Stuart Clark is also being considered following Australia's problems over the past two matches. Lee bowled with menacing intent for more than an hour on Wednesday and struck Michael Hussey on the side of the helmet with a fearful blow. His speed increased as the session progressed in an encouraging return to full training duties. "I've been bowling for two weeks, and bowled eight days straight," he said. "Most days have been bowling back-to-back, morning and afternoon sessions. Today I bowled pretty much a full session and my pace felt really good. I'm 100% ready to go." Lee was spotted on Tuesday in a private session under the supervision of the coach Tim Nielsen, the bowling coach Troy Cooley and the physiotherapist Alex Kountouris. His comeback has provided Australia with a full complement of fast bowlers to choose from for the first time this series. Shane Watson, who will open in the fourth Test and provide some back-up overs, has his doubts over Lee. "Coming back from a side injury, or any injury in general, you normally need at least one game under your belt to have a big crack in a game before a Test match or a real big game," Watson said. "I know from my experience that you're not absolutely fully confident you are able to get through it until you do get through a big game. I think at the moment that there's probably less chance of him being picked because of that reason." Lee has endured a frustrating month on the sidelines, undergoing several different rounds of treatment on the affected rib area, including one involving a laser. Wednesday's net session at Headingley provided him with an avenue to channel his pent-up aggression, and Australia's batsmen were hurried throughout. "He bowled at full pace, which is not the nicest thing to face in the nets when the nets aren't super flat," Watson said. "It's great for him to see him charging in. Obviously he's still maybe a game away to get under his belt before he might be in calculation for selection, but it's great to see him out there firing." Lee thinks much differently but will have to wait to learn whether he adds to his 76 Tests and 310 wickets.
Haddin also seems to have recovered from his injury : http://www.cricinfo.com/engvaus2009/content/current/story/418046.html

Havent watched the Ashes live, but I cant believe the hype Flintoff generates. I saw his 5-fer that won the game for England, but him being the MoM ahead of Strauss is ridiculous. And if you go by cricinfo, his 74 in the recent test was some kind of a super human effort. Talented player no doubt, but a huge underachiever riding purely on reputation. As for the Aussies, I still think they are the stronger team, esp if Johnson hits form & Lee gets back in shape. Definitely a closer series than I thought it would be

A lot of it just the hype surrounding the Aussies - they are being more than tested by a middle of the ladder English team missing their best batsman. Against good opposition (discounting NZ/WI) they have won a grand total of 3 tests in their last 15 - one of them a dead rubber with the best batsman of the opposition injured. All this talk by their players and commentators about Aussies giving their best when against the wall, coming out hard etc. etc. is just that - cheap talk. Their bowling regularly struggles to bowl the opposition out and their batting crumbles as soon as their is any lateral movement on the ball. Mediocre team and it will be reflected in the rankings as well when after losing this series they will be at number 4.

Clark is the obvious choice. He's got experience in English conditions from past county seasons unlike EVERYONE WHO HAS BOWLED IN THE SERIES SO FAR FOR AUSTRALIA, he was the top bowler in the last Ashes - a fact much ignored because of the pomp and farewells for McGrath and Warne, and he still has a test average that puts all the bowlers in both camps to shame. That Australia haven't picked him yet is truly moronic. If they pick Bung Lee ahead of him, averaging 40-odd in tests in England, unsure about fitness and coming off one rib injury following an ankle problem - I'm going to curse. And then hope Pakistan collapse again so there's something to take away the pain.

Wonder if self harmison plays.

"Lots of pats of the back for Stuart Clark," spots Andrew Miller, one of three Cricinfo guys at the ground. "And Matt Prior has just been taken off the field, looking injured. Trying to find out more. Looks like he might have damaged his shoulder doing a stretching exercise." And all this, after England were evacuated from their hotel at 5am owing to a fire alarm. What a morning.
ROFL!! Come on australia, you have to pick Clark!
Clark news Clark is definitely playing, says our man with his ear to the ground, Alex Brown. Prior news it's not looking good. He's damaged his hand, we think, and Collingwood's - yes, Paul Collingwood - has been warming up with the gloves. He did it on a temporary basis earlier this year, much to his obvious amusement and enjoyment - but this is an Ashes Test, ergo the pressure is considerably higher.
lol! England are screwed before the test even starts!!!!