Sehwag vs DDCA

Feed

Sehwag vs DDCA Conflict resolved as DDCA makes promises The hostility between the DDCA and the players is over, with Virender Sehwag and Gautam Gambhir agreeing to stay with the Delhi team after president Arun Jaitley agreed in principle to most of their demands at a late night meeting on Monday. On Tuesday evening at the Ferozeshah Kotla, announcing that peace had been brokered, Jaitley refused to let his colleagues in the DDCA executive committee or the sports committee be seen in poor light. "Last evening, both the senior players met me and my DDCA colleagues. We discussed several issues and I can tell you that the nature of discussion was not adversarial," Jaitley told reporters. "They (Sehwag and Gambhir) had primarily two concerns - to ensure that the selection process is absolutely fair and that no interference of any kind would be tolerated. Their suggestions were well-intentioned and I told both the players and my colleagues that both the steps should be taken so that the standard of fairness of the highest level is maintained. "The sports committee only recommends and it's up to the executive committee to take the final decision. When it comes to selection, it all depends on the selector's individual discretion." On the face of it, the conclusion - a set of feeble measures without any concrete changes - might seem inappropriate considering what had transpired in the previous week. But the real picture - which, according to sources, assures the players a lot more than has been announced - is what has made Sehwag and Gambhir agree. "I did not see it developing into a crisis. It was not a conflict of interest. Their and our objectives are same. I saw it as an opportunity to reform," Jaitley said. Maintaining transparency The DDCA president said the proposed new set-up will have "men who will man the system...men with integrity, spine and experience" who will ensure no interference from any external factors and transparency in selection at all levels. The association is mulling over candidates who will mark this important step in placating the warring players, and conscious of the dearth of consensus candidates, Jaitley announced that the suggestion of players for trimming the selection panel from five to three is being considered. One step towards streamlining selection was taken an hour after Jaitley made the reconciliation public, with the sports committee listing out the tournaments from which the performances of players would be counted, and chalking out plans for the pre-season three-day tournament that would be introduced shortly. Still, Sehwag's masterstroke could have been the man he chose as the mascot for the clean-up operation. At the behest of the India opener, former India Test captain Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi attended the meeting with Jaitley on Monday night. According to sources, the DDCA officials blinked at the critical moment, not committing they would give Patuadi a definite role, but merely welcoming his initiative to come forward and help. It is learnt that Pataudi wanted DDCA to outline a specific role, and the powers of a new cricket committee that he would chair, before making himself available. The legalities of having an advisory committee, and the inability of the executive to relieve the sports committee of its powers ensured that Pataudi's involvement with Delhi remained uncertain. Setting up cricket committee "In principle, we are ready to have such a body (cricket committee) but we need to explore the idea before deciding what functions it can perform and shortlist individuals who have the time and intention for the job," Jaitley said. "I want to officially put on record our appreciation for his (Pataudi's) time. We are now contemplating a cricket advisory body and if he is willing and has the time, we would be happy to have him there." The Delhi players have shown their displeasure sporadically over the last three years, but this time, with a united effort under Sehwag, they have finally forced the DDCA to at least make some changes. http://cricket.yahoo.com/cricket/news/article?id=item/2.0/-/cricket.yahoonews.com/conflict-resolved-ddca-makes-promises-20090826/

"My fight was against the system" Breaking the silence on his tussle with the DDCA, Virender Sehwag said his fight was against the system and not any official. More... Friday 4th September 2009 "My fight was against the system" Breaking the silence on his tussle with the DDCA, Virender Sehwag said his fight was against the system and not any official. Sehwag had threatened to join the Haryana Ranji team, claiming corruption and nepotism were rampant in Delhi and District Cricket Association selections as the all-powerful Sports Committee called the shots. DDCA president Arun Jaitley subsequently met Sehwag and Gautam Gambhir in presence of former India captain MAK Pataudi, who brokered peace between the rival parties. "The meeting was very positive" Even though Sehwag pointed accusing fingers at the Vinod Tihara-led Sports Committee, the opener said he did not have problem with any individual. "My fight is against the system. You have to change the system and put some good people who can look after the cricket. Lots of players are playing for India from Delhi. That is one good thing. Delhi has so much talent but talented players are not playing in Under-19 level. That's why I raised this issue," Sehwag told a news channel. The hard-hitting batsman said he was happy with the outcome of the meeting and he also thanked Pataudi for volunteering to solve the issue. "I was very happy and the meeting was very positive. Even Mr Pataudi came on my request. I am very thankful to him. He took out time for me and the DDCA. He joined that meeting. We had a positive meeting with Arun Jaitley and other members of the DDCA," Sehwag said. "I'm a straightforward guy" The swashbuckling opener also rubbished media reports claiming he was considering moving to Haryana because the state government there had promised him a piece of land. "That is not true. Everybody knows me, I am a straightforward guy. If I wanted something I would go and ask the President of DDCA or somebody else. Haryana gave me land because of my second triple hundred, not because I have to play for Haryana. "I am thankful to (Haryana) Chief Minister Mr (Bhupinder Singh) Hooda who appreciated my performance and gave me this piece of land," he said. Recovering from a shoulder surgery, Sehwag is out of India's tri-series in Sri Lanka and the subsequent Champions Trophy. But the right-hander said he was working hard to get the strength back in his shoulder. "I'm pushing myself very hard" "My rehabilitation is going really well. I am pushing myself very hard. After first week of September I will start batting in the nets. "Normally I am throwing 20 or 50 balls a day but in second or third week of September, I will start throwing more and try to play the local tournament if I get a chance. I am working hard on my shoulder and hoping that I will be fit before the Champions League Twenty20," he said. Sachin Tendulkar recently commented that Sehwag's batting reminded him of his early years. Asked to comment on that, Sehwag said, "I think it's a great honour for me because I play cricket only because of Sachin Tendulkar. "He is my role model. I watched him on TV and always tried to copy him. If he is saying that, my life is fulfilled now. "Even if I die tomorrow, I'll be the happiest man on earth. It's a great honour for me if Sachin is saying that," Sehwag said.

Sachin Tendulkar recently commented that Sehwag's batting reminded him of his early years. Asked to comment on that, Sehwag said, "I think it's a great honour for me because I play cricket only because of Sachin Tendulkar. "He is my role model. I watched him on TV and always tried to copy him. If he is saying that, my life is fulfilled now. "Even if I die tomorrow, I'll be the happiest man on earth. It's a great honour for me if Sachin is saying that," Sehwag said.
:(( Don't die 2moro :((