Sehwag vs DDCA

Feed

In what came as a shocker for the Delhi Ranji team, skipper Virender Sehwag has decided to part ways with the squad due to issues relating to selection of players and administrative policies, according to sources. More... Sehwag to resign Delhi Ranji, upset on selection issues: Sources Last Updated on Monday, August 17, 2009, 11:38 IST Zeecric Bureau New Delhi: In what came as a shocker for the Delhi Ranji team, skipper Virender Sehwag has decided to part ways with the squad due to issues relating to selection of players and administrative policies, according to sources. Sehwag has also sought a ‘No Objection Certificate’ (NOC) from his Ranji team authorities, which will legally allow him to quit the side for some other team. Sources also claim that the Indian opener will meet Delhi District Cricket Association (DDCA) President Arun Jaitley to sort out issues relating to his resignation. It is said that Sehwag is not happy with his team’s selection procedure and administrative matters and is finding it difficult to continue his association with the team. Sehwag has been left out of the 15-man Indian squad for the Champions Trophy and Tri-nations series in Sri Lanka as he failed to recover well on time from his shoulder surgery. The Delhi Daredevils’ batsman incurred a shoulder injury during a match against the Deccan Chargers in second season of Indian Premier League, due to which he had to undergo a surgery on his right shoulder two months ago. He hasn’t played a single match since then.

Guest gaurav_indian

Sehwag wants to quit Delhi Ranji Team Sehwag wants to quit Delhi Ranji Team

Indian opener Virender Sehwag has threatened to quit the Delhi Ranji team, alleging interference in selection matters by the DDCA Sports Committee members. Sehwag, who is currently in Bangalore undergoing rehabilitation for his injured shoulder, has been told to put his decision on hold till he meets the Delhi and District Cricket Association (DDCA) President Arun Jaitley. The meeting is likely to take place on August 27 or 28 to discuss the matter. The explosive right-hander has threatened to leave the team for Haryana, saying that he is frustrated with the interference in selection matters. The DDCA's Sports Secretary Sunil Dev said he has not received any communication from Sehwag nor has he approached him for a No Objection Certificate to play for some other state. But a top DDCA source said Sehwag's threat to quit was just a "pressure tactic" to bring in a couple of his players in the Ranji squad. "He wants to bring Mayank Tehlan and Pradeep Sangwan into the team. But since the Delhi team is well set, it is not possible. That is the reason why he is making such threats," the source said. Sehwag has claimed that some selectors group together to force a player of their choice into the side, leaving the captain and selection committee chairman powerless. He has also alleged manipulation in the selection of Delhi under-16 and under-19 teams. The Delhi team, which won the 2007-08 Ranji title, failed to even make the knock-out stage last season. Sehwag did not play a single match last season because of his engagements with the national team.
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/20061/sehwag-wants-quit-delhi-ranji.html video http://www.timesnow.tv/Sehwag-to-quit-Delhi-Ranji-team/videoshow/4324968.cms
will he play for DD?technically he would also have to leave DD coz hes an icon player for them only coz he is associated with DDCA
I think both are different bodies and it does not matter if he plays in DD team .. anyways I would expect gambhir or somebody else to take over captaincy of DD next year or this CL

This is from Prem Panicker: 08.17.09 Viru hits out How do you tame a dissident? Simple — you give him a seat at the top table. Vide Sunil Dev. At one time in his career, the long-serving DDCA official used to go out of his way to draw the attention of journalists to everything that was going wrong in Delhi, and Indian, cricket. This link is to just one of the many occasions he has spoken to me on such issues, during the days when I used to cover cricket on a regular basis. And here, mention of a hilarious face off between Dev and Dalmiya, with each suing the other for progressively larger sums. I just saw the gent on TV, going — with eyes as wide as he can get them — ‘Corruption? What corruption? What is Sehwag talking about? Why is he talking about it?’ All this because Sehwag said he is fed up of the corruption in the unit, and wants to quit Delhi. To which Dev’s response is a pithy ‘mind your own business’. And it is not as if corruption in the DDCA — known to the cognoscenti as the best watering hole in the national capital for cheap booze — is unheard of. It is not even as if this is the first time Sehwag has raised the issue. It is not as if the DDCA is not aware of the problem — in fact, it set a precedent by sacking its selection committee over such shenanigans, not so long ago. Word among cricket journalists is that even in the notoriously corrupt world of state-level selections, the DDCA sets standards others cannot even aspire to — on which, Sharda Ugra, some time back. And historically, a vicious cycle has perpetuated itself: for instance, Chetan Chauhan while serving as vice president of the DDCA raised red flags about corruption; but then, as chairman of the selection committee, managed to get his nephew into the team. In fact, the situation is so bad that earlier this year, the government of India appointed a three-member committee to oversee its workings [Who is the government to talk, Dev might well ask]. Oh well. Stand by for much back and forth, he-said he-said — till the next controversy comes along and everyone can go back to business as usual. Somewhere along the way, Sehwag will meet with Arun Jaitley who will assure him that his concerns will be looked into. --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Didn't know that filth of corruption seeped so deep into DDCA. I thought they bungled only at Ranji level, but manipulation in selection at U-14 and U-16 levels too? Why the hell can't BCCI bring these bungling state associations on path? Because it itself is corrupt to the core? Oh well!!

Didn't know that filth of corruption seeped so deep into DDCA. I thought they bungled only at Ranji level, but manipulation in selection at U-14 and U-16 levels too? Why the hell can't BCCI bring these bungling state associations on path? Because it itself is corrupt to the core? Oh well!!
Because the Indian Govt itself has so many corrupt politicians (pls. dont go into BCCI is not a "govt entity")
Good on Sehwag for standing up against it. Pisses me off when I hear good cricketers may have been denied the chance to progress because someone wanted to do somebody else a favour
I wonder if it'll have that much of impact on the thick skinned and almost non- improvable DDCA! How many of you read the links that I provided in that Prem Panicker blog? Well some of them are just shocking like spending tens of lakhs in neck-ties, nearly a crore on liquor and such things and almost nothing on the improvement of grass root cricket or cricket facilities! Then how the persons with some push find their way into the team. Here read the latest on what angle DDCA is desperately trying to give to deflect this controversy:
Why is Viru bolting Delhi? For a plot of land? Arjun Sen, Hindustan Times New Delhi, August 18, 2009 First Published: 00:07 IST(18/8/2009) Last Updated: 01:38 IST(18/8/2009) While Virender Sehwag finds himself in the eye of a storm over his comments about the Delhi and Districts Cricket Association’s handling of cricket, he is certainly not alone. “I’m born and brought up in Delhi. So why should I leave Delhi cricket?†Sehwag told HT from Bangalore on Monday. “Unless I have to.†A Delhi cricketer said it was time “someone took the bull by the hornsâ€, referring to the constant problems with administration those who play cricket in Delhi face. “Whatever Viru said was true. If the DDCA doesn’t take steps to improve the situation, one by one we’ll all have to leave,†he said. In true DDCA fashion, the counter-allegations came forth quickly. DDCA’s official line is that ‘Sehwag might have had problems, everything will be sorted,†but a whisper campaign is already gathering momentum. DDCA tried to link Sehwag’s threat to move to Haryana, taking 5-6 Delhi players with him, to a 23-acre plot of land in Silani Kesho village in Sehwag’s hometown of Jhajjar. The Haryana government allotted Sehwag the land last October for a sports academy and school. “Isn’t it more than a little coincidental he decided to express his problems now?†asked a DDCA member. “What has suddenly made Sehwag so angry? He hardly plays two matches in a season anyway.†LINK
Will Viru stay? Over to Delhi's cricket bosses NEW DELHI : Resting in a Bangalore hotel after a morning of rehab for his injured shoulder, Virender Sehwag is already tired of being asked whether he's quitting Delhi cricket or not. "Frankly, I'm born and brought up in Delhi. So why should I leave Delhi cricket?" he counters, when asked the obvious question. Then he pauses and adds, "Unless I have to". The India opener and Delhi Ranji skipper isn't very keen on saying more on the subject, but it's fairly well known that Delhi cricket might lose its biggest brand to neighbouring Haryana two weeks from now. Sources close to Sehwag said that he is very upset by the Delhi & Districts Cricket Association sport's committee's unwarranted interference in selection matters and will make a decision by this month end on whether to stay or not. The last date for getting an NOC (no-objection certificate) from one state and making a move to another is August 31. Sehwag reportedly wants an assurance that there will be no interference in selection from sports committee members pushing their own wards into teams. Now, that assurance will have to come from DDCA president Arun Jaitley and general secretary Sneh Bansal, who will meet with Sehwag on his return from Bangalore around the 26th or 27th of this month. However, it's a little difficult to see what assurance they will give with regard to the Ranji team, as Delhi's first playing XI is very difficult to get into. The first 12 really pick themselves: Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, Aakash Chopra, Shikhar Dhawan, Mithun Manhas, Rajat Bhatia and Virat Kohli make up a batting line-up that any state will be happy to have. Then you have wicket-keeper Puneet Bisht, spinner Chetnya Nanda and an India pace duo line-up in Ishant Sharma and Ashish Nehra, with Pradeep Sangwan as the third speedster. So where's the space? It's outside the 12 that the problem comes in. For instance, where the DDCA went terribly wrong last year was in the controversial selection of sports committee convenor Vinod Tihara's son, Vartik (see box) to the Ranji squad. According to sources, there are three lines of thought in the DDCA about Sehwag's reported outburst. One is that it makes no difference if he goes to Haryana, after all, he is hardly around in any case, being on India duty. The second is that he is Delhi's biggest asset and is being emotional, as he has been in the past; and that he will be persuaded by Jaitley & Co to stay. The third is that he has made up his mind to leave Delhi anyway, possibly because Haryana has reportedly promised him land for an academy there, and is using the opportunity to publicly state what he and other players have privately been saying for years: "That there is undue interference by the sports committee in Delhi cricket selections, especially in the junior age group teams, and no one else seems to be doing anything to stop it."
18_08_2009_019_002_010.jpg And finally: 'Capital' punishment for cricketers if Sehwag leaves C Rajshekhar Rao / DNA Tuesday, August 18, 2009 2:23 IST New Delhi: India opener Virender Sehwag has not opened any pandora's box with his criticism of the way cricket officials function in Delhi, rather just lent the weight of his stature to the cause of frustrated cricketers. The ad hoc functioning of the Delhi and District Cricket Association (DDCA) is well known. The sports committeenames and influences various selection committees like a curse that threatens to rot the system in the Capital. But if nothing comes of his meeting with DDCA president Arun Jaitley to sort out contentious matters, Sehwag's proposed move to Haryana might just be the beginning of an exodus of big names from the capital, several junior cricketers having already opted for other states. "The way cricket is being run and the way promising players are being sidelined, has left me with no other option. Let me see how the meeting goes," re-iterated Sehwag. According to a source in the Delhi Ranji team, Gautam Gambhir, Ashish Nehra, Aakash Chopra and Mithun Manhas are all open to the idea of moving out. It is learnt that Chopra is already in talks with Maharashtra. Several players from Delhi have, in the past, gone to other states, especially Haryana, for want of opportunities. But in recent years, it is because of the politics that pervades the Ferozeshah Kotla complex rather than the high standards that one saw in the past, when Rajinder Goel had to move out of Bishan Bedi's shadow or Pradeep Jain found Maninder Singh too big a hurdle. Amit Mishra hails from Delhi but opted to play for Haryana early on despite having a cousin in the sports committee coterie. Several years before him, a certain Ajay Jadeja had done the same. The past year has already seen two promising young cricketers, both sons of famous Delhi cricketers, make their move out to Haryana. Manan Sharma, an India under-19 cricketer and son of former Delhi skipper Ajay Sharma has moved to the neighbouring state after realising that performances will not guarantee a place in the Delhi team. Similarly, KP Bhaskar's son Rushil has moved to Haryana after being in the under-15 team here. Among the junior lot in the Delhi Ranji squad, left-arm paceman Pradeep Sangwan and Mayank Tehlan, both Sehwag proteges, may also weigh their options if an exodus does take place. Tehlan is a cousin of Sehwag and the swashbuckling India opener has had to back him at different points in time. On the other hand, the DDCA has been wary of Sehwag's stature and has taken every opportunity to keep him at bay, an application for a new club in the DDCA too being pending for some years now. LINK It is painful to see a leading state association of BCCI in such tatters!! You would wonder how cricket survives here!
I think both are different bodies and it does not matter if he plays in DD team .. anyways I would expect gambhir or somebody else to take over captaincy of DD next year or this CL
i'm not sure.DD didn't buy Viru.he plays for them as an icon player only because he is associated with DDCA.Once he leaves them,he might have to leave DD.imo he should be put on auction like other players

More seniors threaten to quit Delhi A day after Virender Sehwag threatened to quit playing for Delhi, Gautam Gambhir and Ishant Sharma have threatened to quit. More... Tuesday 18th August 2009 More seniors threaten to quit Delhi A day after Virender Sehwag threatened to quit playing for Delhi, Gautam Gambhir and Ishant Sharma have threatened to quit. The players are unhappy with the Delhi and District Cricket Association sports committee which, they claimed, interfered in selection matters and also indulged in corruption. The DDCA Sports Secretary Sunil Dev has refuted the allegations and said he was prepared to talk with the players and resolve the differences. With more senior players joining Sehwag in the campaign against the sports committee, the DDCA President Arun Jaitley has told his officials not to precipitate the crisis and let things "cool down". "The President wants things to cool down. He will meet Sehwag when he comes back from Bangalore and hopefully resolve all the issues," a top DDCA source told PTI. Sehwag, who is currently in Bangalore undergoing rehabilitation for his injured shoulder, is likely meet Jaitley on August 27 or 28. The explosive right-hander has threatened to leave the team for Haryana, saying that he is frustrated with the interference in selection matters. Gambhir and Nehra made it clear that he would "not hesitate" to move out to other associations if things did not improve and transparency in the selection process was not brought in. Gambhir also felt the DDCA sports committee, which did not have a single cricketer on its panel, needed to be changed as it put pressure on captains and stand-in captains to play their candidates. Ishant voiced his support for his Ranji captain, saying "he is absolutely right about selection matters". Interestingly, the revolt comes just days before the crucial sports committee elections and some of the DDCA officials are interpreting the move as a "pressure tactic" by the players. The players have voiced their dissent only through the media and none of them have communicated their grievances in writing to the DDCA. The DDCA Vice-President and Chairman of the Selection committee Chetan Chauhan conceded that there were certain problems which needed to be resolved. "There are problems which need to be sorted out, but I am sure everything will be resolved. We do not want to lose top class players like Sehwag and others," he said.

Good. This has been a concern in Delhi for a long time, but nobody had the balls to act. Thank heavens for people like Sehwag who will speak out and inspire others to also do the right thing.
Its only the international players who are speaking out, others are still being quite. Maybe they fear if they leave here, they won't find it easy elsewhere.