Don?t worry, it?s that man Tiwary

King

http://www.hindustantimes.com/redir.aspx?ID=f7f5e9ed-b3b6-418c-ad2a-d52df26a5479 Don?t worry, it?s that man Tiwary Manoj Tiwary hasn?t played for India yet. Yet everyone, including the selectors, is sure he will. But the Bengal youngster, elevated to the captaincy for the inaugural Twenty20 championships, seems unfazed by all the attention. ?I don?t think about the selectors or who is watching when I am playing. Once I am in the middle, only the game is important,? he says nonchalantly to a journalist, when asked about performing with the national selectors present. On the eve of the event, he had spoken about how much he enjoyed pressure and how he approached it as a challenge. It hasn?t been all that long a road to success and the Bengal captaincy, but Tiwary?s calm self-assurance shows that he has his feet firmly grounded. ?I seriously took up cricket in 1998, when I was 13,? said Tiwary. ?I started going to a coaching centre before Manavbindra Ghosh took me under his wing.? ?For years, I travelled over an hour a day from Howrah to Behala for practice. My coach thought I had the potential to take up cricket seriously and I decided to follow his advice.? Behala, is of course, where Sourav Ganguly comes from, but the 21-year-old said his coach, colleagues and family were his biggest influences. He does take note of the expectations from him, after a stupendous domestic season, where he was second of the run-getters (after Robin Uthappa, who had 854 runs). Tiwary had 796 at a stupendous 99.50. But expectations don?t fluster him. ?People have expectations. But I don?t think of these as burdens. I enjoy it and take it as a challenge to do better.? What is his biggest strength? ?When I am out on the field, I know I am best. My positive attitude, aggression, and self-belief are my biggest strengths. I have to work on my bowling and fielding though.? In what might be some interesting bit of trivia one day, Tiwary started off as a leg break bowler. ?I started taking my batting more seriously when I became captain of the Bengal under-19s.? Two years is a remarkably short time then, for his batting to be taken so seriously by an India looking for hope. Tiwary?s journey might be just beginning.

Re: Don?t worry, it?s that man Tiwary Is this hype or just providing exposure? I think it is OK as long as they don't start writing every day about this new lad. The expectations of this fella doing well already has gone up a notch by this kind of exposure.

Re: Don?t worry, it?s that man Tiwary It is okay Ravi. If he wishes to play for India, he'll have to get used to the expectation which will be sky high as they are normally for every batsman! I thought Dhoni was coping with it quite well despite having a very ugly technique in batting. But he fell like a pack of cards in WC and that was disappointing. Of what I've seen of this Tiwary fellow, he looks to have a good defensive technique and has a number of shots. I hope he does well for India, especially in tests when our senior pillars will bow out!

Re: Don?t worry, it?s that man Tiwary Tiwary ? a steady rise KOLKATA: From a humble background, the 21-year-old Bengal all-rounder Manoj Tiwary has found a place in the 15-member Indian ODI squad for the tour of Bangladesh. An overwhelmed Tiwary, a consistent performer for Bengal this season in the Ranji Trophy, has set a target of cementing his place the Indian team with sheer hard work. "It obviously feels great to be named in the Indian ODI squad,'' said Tiwary from Ahmedabad where he led Bengal in the ongoing Twenty20 cricket tournament. "My selection to the Indian side is my dream of playing for the country come true,'' he said. The lanky right-handed middle-order batsman and a useful leg-break bowler captained Bengal under-22 side to the National title and led the State side in the shortest version of the game. Stalwarts like Sourav Ganguly and Deep Dasgupta played under him. The Howrah-born lad has done well in two years of first class cricket. Coached by little-known Manabendra Ghosh, Tiwary's rise was steady. He came through the age-group tournaments and played for India under-19 before his consistent showing in the National championship was rewarded with a place in the Indian ODI squad. "Now it is up to me to grab the opportunity and seal my place,'' the soft-spoken Tiwary said. ---------------------------------------------- Hope he delivers!!