Caster Semenya

Guest Gunner

Guest Gunner
You got that right. Racism is a word that is used way too often around here. As soon as someone runs out of arguments or defences they just fall back on the old and patient racism claim.
As an aside from the OP, how do you feel as a person of Indian origin (I assume) to live in this scenario? What is your standing in the local SA culture?

^Actually, I'm not of Indian origin. To answer your question, I was 7 years old in 1994. I only really remember the "New South Africa"and I'm comfortable in the situation. I went to school with kids from different races, religions, social backgrounds and financial positions. I have a diverse group of friends & we make things work by respecting each other. There will always be those who shy away from the unfamiliar & different. I've learned, with a little effort and respect living in harmony is possible.

Those are two distince points: 1) A clear violation of her personal life and 2) the question of whether she should be allowed to compete as a woman or a man. In the first instance everybody has been disgraceful in their behaviour and have a lot to answer for. Secondly, if intersex is as common as 4%, I would say she is entitled to run as a woman as this is the gender she has been attributed to.
Agree with gunner on both points, most importantly the second one, all elite atheletes have unfair advantages when compared with the rest of the population, do you knw that lance has 1 and half the times the lung size of normal people or michael phelps hands are 18 and half inches long? or that Serena Williams musculature and probably her teststerne level will prbably be higher than most normal males? or that the biggest advantage that Shaq is that he is 7 feet and 2 inches long and 350 pounds? The list can go on, that woman cannt or rather should not be stopped from competing as a woman.

Guest Gunner
^Actually' date= I'm not of Indian origin. To answer your question, I was 7 years old in 1994. I only really remember the "New South Africa"and I'm comfortable in the situation. I went to school with kids from different races, religions, social backgrounds and financial positions. I have a diverse group of friends & we make things work by respecting each other. There will always be those who shy away from the unfamiliar & different. I've learned, with a little effort and respect living in harmony is possible.
That is quite really interesting. So your view depending on whether your black or white south african would be quite different to the context of current South Africa. Its quite interesting to know the exposure you had to different people evidently that is a good thing to have. I totally agree with your point on living in harmony, all it really does take is a little effort and respect. Well said.

Guest Gunner
Agree with gunner on both points, most importantly the second one, all elite atheletes have unfair advantages when compared with the rest of the population, do you knw that lance has 1 and half the times the lung size of normal people or michael phelps hands are 18 and half inches long? or that Serena Williams musculature and probably her teststerne level will prbably be higher than most normal males? or that the biggest advantage that Shaq is that he is 7 feet and 2 inches long and 350 pounds? The list can go on, that woman cannt or rather should not be stopped from competing as a woman.
If I understand it right triam, IAAF will have a tough time stopping her based on their existing regulations. Further, she is fast no doubt, but she was still slower than the WR by a good 2 secs.

^ White, Afrikaans. I'd say my view is pretty different from most. I don't like for society to tell me what is right or wrong. If it feels right, imo it is. One of my best friends in high school was a black girl and we actually had a lot of conversations about race, religion, our different customs, etc, without ever trying to change the other's view. She's one of the few people from school I still have contact with. I've lost touch with many people I should, according to society, have more in common with.

Guest Gunner
^ White' date=' Afrikaans. I'd say my view is pretty different from most. I don't like for society to tell me what is right or wrong. If it feels right, imo it is. One of my best friends in high school was a black girl and we actually had a lot of conversations about race, religion, our different customs, etc, without ever trying to change the other's view. She's one of the few people from school I still have contact with. I've lost touch with many people I should, according to society, have more in common with.[/quote'] We should take this into another thread. Its interesting and has merit to discuss as a seperate thread. Daisy can you please seperate this thread into another thread called "Race relations".

Guest Gunner
^ White' date=' Afrikaans. I'd say my view is pretty different from most. I don't like for society to tell me what is right or wrong. If it feels right, imo it is. One of my best friends in high school was a black girl and we actually had a lot of conversations about race, religion, our different customs, etc, without ever trying to change the other's view. She's one of the few people from school I still have contact with. I've lost touch with many people I should, according to society, have more in common with.[/quote'] I think the thread seperation will take some time so I will just continue here for the moment. This is quite interesting, I had some afrikaaners from SA and Namibia work in my office briefly in 2008. I remember them as a largely reserved lot who stuck to their own group. I didn't see them make any effort to mingle with even the local europeans. However I saw a very small number of afrikaaners to make a generic statement. I can see that you have clearly a different view on things. Some of us are lucky to have interesting life experiences where we have the opportunity to meet the so called "others" and discover that they are much similar if not exactly alike us. We have to appreciate the opportunity we have in this generation to get rid of so many stereotypes built over 100s of years in our mind.

G, your observations about the people who worked for your company is close to the truth. My people tend to be aloof even with their own. A good example is that at most of the shops I frequent, the bank,etc, the black people working there is friedlier and more inclined to put in some effort to help than the white people, who are more reserved. I feel that learning about where other people come from, on various levels, leads to a better understanding and enriches your own life.

Guest Gunner
G' date=' your observations about the people who worked for your company is close to the truth. My people tend to be aloof even with their own. A good example is that at most of the shops I frequent, the bank,etc, the black people working there is friedlier and more inclined to put in some effort to help than the white people, who are more reserved. I feel that learning about where other people come from, on various levels, leads to a better understanding and enriches your own life.[/quote'] Well I suppose in that sense you are germanic or maybe prussian. Does this mean you are quite conservative as well? I suppose the guys are extremely reserved even with their wives? This is generally the case for the germanic people I have met in Europe.

Little bit hazy on the history. The first European settlers came from the Netherlands in the mid 1600s and Afrikaans mostly developed out of the Dutch language. We had some other influences, I think from France among others. There was the Anglo-Boer war with the Brits (1889-1902) and we were a colony for a while, so there's the Brittish influences. A large part of the white population is English. During WW2 many Germans came this way. I can trace my ancestors to Germany, the Netherlands and Ireland.

Guest Gunner
Little bit hazy on the history. The first European settlers came from the Netherlands in the mid 1600s and Afrikaans mostly developed out of the Dutch language. We had some other influences' date=' I think from France among others. There was the Anglo-Boer war with the Brits (1889-1902) and we were a colony for a while, so there's the Brittish influences. A large part of the white population is English. During WW2 many Germans came this way. I can trace my ancestors to Germany, the Netherlands and Ireland.[/quote'] I meant more from the attitude point of view nevertheless this is quite interesting. The dutch people in the Netherlands today are probably one of the most cheerful, friendly and helpful people in Europe. German + Dutch + Irish = one hell of a combination. We need to hook up. :haha::haha:

Little bit hazy on the history. The first European settlers came from the Netherlands in the mid 1600s and Afrikaans mostly developed out of the Dutch language. We had some other influences' date=' I think from France among others. There was the Anglo-Boer war with the Brits (1889-1902) and we were a colony for a while, so there's the Brittish influences. A large part of the white population is English. During WW2 many Germans came this way. I can trace my ancestors to Germany, the Netherlands and Ireland.[/quote'] Very fascinating. :two_thumbs_up:

I meant more from the attitude point of view nevertheless this is quite interesting. The dutch people in the Netherlands today are probably one of the most cheerful, friendly and helpful people in Europe. German + Dutch + Irish = one hell of a combination. We need to hook up. :haha::haha:
You're right about the attitude. Be careful what you wish for, I'm mostly cheerful and outgoing but have inherited the quick temper of the Irish :winky:

Guest Gunner
You're right about the attitude. Be careful what you wish for, I'm mostly cheerful and outgoing but have inherited the quick temper of the Irish :winky:
Aye... I love a spirited lass. I wish for exactly the right thing. :winky: