Caster Semenya

Guest Gunner

Guest Gunner

It has emerged now albeit through leaked reports that Caster is intersex. Intersex means one who has both male and female sexuality but one is more developed than the other. It seems that one in about every 130.000 biths is clealry intersexed. The South African sports body has mishandled the whole situation and made a mess of Caster's self respect and destroyed her as a person. She is currently on suicide watch and is receiving trauma therapy. I read that about 4% of the world's population is intersexed and are never given the chance to make a choice regarding their gender, in most cases a surgery is performed in their early childhood to set "right" the "problem". This has come into our view largely because of the high profile natur eof this case, what do you all feel about this? Please dicsuss. PS: Noobs who don't know Caster Semenya, google is your friend. :winky:

Guest Gunner
HAHA I remember when the doubts come out I think in Germany. I felt sorry for the person to be accused of something like that but its actually true :nervous:
One in twenty-five of us is intersexed, so is sympathy the right reaction / emotion?

One in twenty-five of us is intersexed' date=' so is sympathy the right reaction / emotion?[/quote'] well i guess not but then this world or the society in which we live has been developed on the premise that there can only be 2 clear genders, a male or a female. But as you have explained above there are people with different physical attributes as well but since they form a very minor part of the human population, they are being treated with a "sorry" attitude since they do not fit the premise on which we have shaped our world. I am not saying it is right, i am just stating the fact. I guess only if their population start increasing and once they start raising their voices, their needs would be addressed!!

Guest Gunner
Feel sad for her because now the whole world knows about her personal things. Dont know how the officials do to her but it is not fair with other female atheletes to compete with her who has unfair advantage.
Those are two distince points: 1) A clear violation of her personal life and 2) the question of whether she should be allowed to compete as a woman or a man. In the first instance everybody has been disgraceful in their behaviour and have a lot to answer for. Secondly, if intersex is as common as 4%, I would say she is entitled to run as a woman as this is the gender she has been attributed to.

Guest Gunner
Someone told me recently that on Indian passports' date=' the hijras/eunuchs can have 'E' written in the gender column instead of M/F[/quote'] Eunuchs and intersex are not necessarily always the same as per how I understood this. There seems to be some other physical differences. Some addl info: http://www.isna.org/faq/what_is_intersex

Guest Gunner
wat abt the girl frm trichy? she won something in asia cup or something. i dont remem.. she was also stripped of her medal... is she also intersex??
From what I read on the net, yes.

Guest Gunner
4% are intersex? So there might be many who don't even know they were born intersex? :hmmm:
Going by that number, more than 200 on ICF are intersex :fear: Flamy :hmmmm2: :hmmm: Fineleg :hmmm:
Reddy garu? :hmmmm:

4% are intersex? So there might be many who don't even know they were born intersex? :hmmm:
In both the above mentioned cases...the women were unmistakenly masculine and hence the suspicion. I doubt there are too many cases where people are intersex without any signs showing. Specially once a person reaches the puberty age...there should be some signs. Both the cases are sad and must be traumatic for them...but I doubt it was a sudden discovery.I am pretty sure they themselves must have wondered about it often. It seems cruel...but I don't think they should be allowed to compete with women. Unfair? ...life is unfair... Have you seen short ,fat people at beauty contests ? Plain looking models?Short basketball players? dumb scientists?...life is unfair...just get on with life.

Intersex is the same as androgynous isn't it? It's believed that if a baby with such physical tendencies is born and if the parents disown it' date=' the hospitals call eunuchs to adopt the child.[/quote'] In India...there have been cases were the eunuchs forcbilly take away the child.Parent often don't complain because of badnami or because they believe the child is better off with them. You hardly find them living normal lives with families. There are some exceptions like the Laxmi who had taken part in Sach ka saamna.Really sad.