Excuses cricketers gave for touring India

EnterTheVoid

1. Remember DELHI BELLY ? - Dodgy food, dodgy curry, pack your bags, dont wait, hurry hurry ? For the clueless, Delhi Belly = Diarrhea 2. Anybody remember Warne and his antics with baked beans because he didn't like Indian food ? Don't believe me ? Read it for yourself ************************************************************************* SYDNEY, MARCH 5: Australian diplomats have been called in to rush cans of baked beans and spaghetti to feed Australian spin bowler Shane Warne because team managers fear he is wasting away while on tour because he doesn't like Indian food. Australian Cricket Board (ACB) officials confirmed today that team manager Steve Bernard had contacted the Board from Chennai requesting urgent food supplies be sent for the leg-spinner. Warne, who was criticised last year for being overweight, has been eating only sparse helpings of cereal and toast while on the tour, and taking multi-vitamin capsules to supplement his diet, according to Australian newspaper reports. ``I am really craving for some canned spaghetti on toast,'' Warne told Sydney's The Daily Telegraph today. The portly bowler has lost several kilograms in weight since arriving in India, where he has lived on a diet of breakfast cereal and vegemite sandwiches, the Australian media said. Vegemite is a type of sandwich spread. ``Baked beans andspaghetti that's what Shane wants,'' an ACB spokesman said in Sydney. On hearing of Warne's appeal, food processing company Heinz said it would immediately send nearly 2,000 cans of baked beans (:omg:) and spaghetti to Australia's Test squad in India. ``The shipment will be enough for the whole team and it will be leaving Australia tomorrow morning,'' a company spokesman said. Local newspapers have now dubbed Warne ``Mr Bean'' and have called the emergency food airlift ``Operation bean''. Arrangements had been made for the Australian consul general in New Delhi to send cans of baked beans and spaghetti to Chennai, said a board spokesman, speaking on condition of anonymity. Tour officials are concerned Warne may lose strength and stamina because of his weight loss. Alan Crompton, former ACB chairman, said today Warne should consider broadening his diet from well-known favourites such as spaghetti bolognaise, lasagna and pizza. But he said he did not think Indians would be miffed at Warne's avoidance ofits cuisine. ``I don't think it's an insult and I don't think that the Indians would ever take it that way.'' Coach Geoff Marsh reportedly said the Australian team is generally coping well with Indian food although ``they'd still love to have their mum's roast chicken and vegetables followed by apple pie and cream.'' Copyright © 1998 Indian Express Newspapers (Bombay) Ltd. Link: http://www.indianexpress.com/res/web/pIe/ie/daily/19980306/06550494.html Your thoughts please

Yeah, old stuff. I remember Shane Warne's issues with the food. I also remember how he soon got thrashed by the Aussie media soon after when he failed to deliver with the ball and how the food supplies from Australia was stopped. Which makes me wonder: Don't the five and seven star hotels provide food of choice to guests? They are not forced to eat Indian food, are they? I mean the hotels don't send idli-sambhar or vadapav for breakfast or say dosa or dhokla for lunch. They can order continental or chinese or whatever they like. Though I must say that food can be a genuine problem for foreigners. Indians like Srinath and Prasad always faced serious problems on tours since veg Indian food was rarely available on tours and BCCI was quite useless those days.

i remember watching the eden match in the stadium that australia lost by an innings and warne was destroyed.We were discussing this issue about his food during match and a person sitting jus behind us said that he was one of the chefs in the hotel where teh aussies stayed and they had offered him exactly the same food but he refused.I remember he told me that the aussie coach of that team and the physio had told the players to use all their senses before they eat any food item.Something like see 1st,then smell the touch to see if it is hot and stuff like that.Some one even said like.....who in india eats these stuff?isnt indians to poor to eat it?