Ponting gracious in defeat

kabira

The dew did remain a point of contention because Ponting couldn't convince the umpires to change the ball besides the mandatory 34-over switch. "Spinners couldn't grip the ball," he said. "Hence [Adam] Voges bowled only one over, and [Nathan] Hauritz had to come on very early on when the ball was fairly dry, and then come him back after the 34-over ball change, because the ball was so wet. We were only granted one ball change tonight, which frustrated us a little bit.

He may have a point behind it. Hauritz was having difficulty bowling halfway through and someone kept coming to him with a towel every every 2nd ball but ofcourse the loss can't entirely be credited to that. He admitted India outplayed Australia in the post match presentation.

The dew factor also slowed down the out field which worked against the Indians. The ball was sliding on the ground rather than bouncing after the 30th over. This is why Indians were have very hard time hitting boundaries at one point. Obviously the dew factor hurt OZ more than India but one can fairly argue that Ponting did win the toss.

TBH, It was one of his very decent post match talks, he certainly didn't whine or anything Though the dew was there, he told they had the advantage of the toss and didn't make use of it, it was more difficult batting second and India really played well and also said, they should have made better use of the conditions by batting first

Dhoni: Dew did us a favour Mahendra Singh Dhoni believed the dew factor had played a crucial role in India's six-wicket win over Australia in the third ODI in Delhi. Australia captain Ricky Ponting won the toss and led the way with a fine 59 up the order, while Michael Hussey scored an unbeaten 81 off 82 deliveries, as Australia made 229 for five. India slipped to 53 for three but Yuvraj Singh weighed in with a superb 78 and Dhoni made an unbeaten 71, the pair taking the game away from Australia with a 148-run stand for the fourth wicket. Ponting, who banked on dew falling and had opted to chase in the previous game in Nagpur, was again troubled by the dew factor as his spinners struggled for grip. "We didn't have much to chase and with the dew coming down, with wickets in hand and a powerplay to go, all we had to do was see off their best bowlers and go after the weaker ones," Dhoni said. Read more.. LINK

Ponting gracious in defeat Australia captain Ricky Ponting was grace personified after his team went down to India by six wickets in the third ODI in Delhi. Ponting admitted his side had been out-batted by the Indians, praised the match-winning 148-run stand between captain MS Dhoni and Yuvraj Singh and also refused to blame the track -- one of the lowest he has come across -- for the loss. "India batted very well today and batted in slightly tougher conditions. I think a score around 250 would have been good but we fell a little short with the bat," Ponting said. "They had an excellent partnership and they got those boundaries just when they needed them. We tried a lot of bowling changes and tactical things but could not break the stand. That probably made the difference," he added. On the Kotla pitch, Ponting said, "It's one of the slowest tracks I have played ODIs on but then it was same for both the sides." Thinness of resource forced Ponting to open the innings and the Australian said he had to shoulder the responsibility. "Obviously being the most experienced batsman, I had to open. It would have been a bigger challenge for anybody else. Besides, I have often come to bat in the second or third over, so nothing new about that," he explained. Ponting was seen often consulting the umpires. Asked for reason, he said, "I went asking for changing the ball since we could not grip it. There was lot of dew there and it got very wet." Looking ahead, he said spate of injuries had laid low the side but the visitors would put their best foot forward in the next matches. "Injury has hit us hard. Lot of guys are in and out of the side. Brett (Lee) could play just one game before returning. Mitchell Johnson is only coming up now and James Hopes is not playing yet. But we have to try to get on with it and play the best game we can. We have to give 100 per cent," Ponting said. "Today was not a bad day for us even though we did not win. First match we lost, the second they won and today was close. Maybe conditions in Mohali would suit us more," he added.

He was right that dew played a role but at the same time, Pwnting won the toss and knew about it previously. There was dew in the CL T20 games too and NSW played many games at this ground. Pwnting said that he discussed with the NSW players in his team about the ground and frankly speaking I hardly saw any difference in the ground conditions from the CL T20 games. So, either the NSW players are n00bs or Pointing is really :punter:

I was so happy that India thumped Australia after the top order collapse. But, then, I read Sidarth Monga's bulletin on cricinfo and was so freaking pissed. The first line read -

For a side without six first-choice players and also one of their replacements, Australia did pretty well tonight.
http://www.cricinfo.com/indvaus2009/content/current/story/432380.html I think thats the reason y Ponting is not feeling the "defeat". He still thinks that full strength Australia can easily thump India and that too IN INDIA! I hate that Sid Monga - terrible writer!
I was so happy that India thumped Australia after the top order collapse. But, then, I read Sidarth Monga's bulletin on cricinfo and was so freaking pissed. The first line read - http://www.cricinfo.com/indvaus2009/content/current/story/432380.html I think thats the reason y Ponting is not feeling the "defeat". He still thinks that full strength Australia can easily thump India and that too IN INDIA! I hate that Sid Monga - terrible writer!
siddle is bowling better than bracken,i do not think he could have been picked ahead of siddle if all were fit.they are missing haddin.clarke,lee

just read his comments again, he is blaming umpires for not allowing ball changes..isnt that whining?? in one sentence he says they had an advantage batting second and in another blames dew. For me its perfect whining. He won the toss so he knew what he will get, no point blaming anything.

nobody denies that there was dew and it was not easy for spinners I am more concerned about his "We were only granted one ball change tonight, which frustrated us a little bit." why would umpire change the ball??? did it go out of shape??? Pure Whinage from great captain I would have been if said "Dew played crucial role and it was hard blah blah, but by adding this one line he is blaming umpires.

just read his comments again, he is blaming umpires for not allowing ball changes..isnt that whining?? in one sentence he says they had an advantage batting second and in another blames dew. For me its perfect whining. He won the toss so he knew what he will get, no point blaming anything.
If I dont remember it wrong, the ball was changed twice in the innings. The first ball was changed in merely 26 overs rather than 34 overs when it normally takes place.
siddle is bowling better than bracken' date='i do not think he could have been picked ahead of siddle if all were fit.they are missing haddin.clarke,lee[/quote'] I agree Siddle is bowling the best amongst Aus bowlers consistently. Even Bollinger bowled well and I would not expect Bracken to bowl even near to the Bollinger spell. Even Lee might have found it difficult to only give away 25 runs in 10 overs. I dont think they are missing that much except maybe Lee. But then we are also missing Zak. :eyedance:

Experience counts. Although siddle and bollinger had bowled beautifully, they failed to pick up wickets and they let dhoni and yuvi to build a massive partnership. Bracken and lee are wicket taking bolwers. You never know, any thing would have happened if they were bowling.