Australian summer 2009-10 : Australia vs WI

Feed

Australia unchanged for Perth as they keep faith in injured Siddle Peter Siddle will be nursed through the next week in the hope he can recover from a hamstring problem to appear in the final Test against West Indies in Perth. More... Australia keep faith in injured Siddle Cricinfo staff December 9, 2009 Peter Siddle will be nursed through the next week in the hope he can recover from a hamstring problem to appear in the final Test against West Indies in Perth. Siddle limped through the final days of the drawn second game and was expected to be unavailable for the decider, but the selectors avoided any changes when a scan on the injury showed no major damage. Clint McKay stays with the outfit in the hope of a debut at the WACA while Doug Bollinger, who took five wickets in Adelaide, should hold his spot whether Siddle makes it or not. "Peter Siddle experienced some hamstring soreness during the Adelaide Test and underwent a scan on Wednesday which has cleared him of any serious damage," the team physiotherapist Alex Kountouris said. "He will continue to be treated and monitored before a final decision will be made on his availability to play." Andrew Hilditch, the chairman of selectors, said Siddle would be assessed daily leading up to the match. "We are hopeful he will recover in time to take his place in the side for what should be an exciting climax to the three-match Test series," he said. Australia hold a 1-0 lead after winning in Brisbane, but West Indies controlled much of the second game to put some pressure on the hosts. Ben Hilfenhaus was not included in the 12-man squad due to his persistent tendon injury in his left knee and will be held back in the hope he is fit for the Boxing Day Test against Pakistan. "He has not made sufficient progress to select him for the Perth match and he will remain in Hobart to continue his rehabilitation," Kountouris said. Australia squad Simon Katich, Shane Watson, Ricky Ponting (capt), Michael Hussey, Michael Clarke, Marcus North, Brad Haddin (wk), Mitchell Johnson, Nathan Hauritz, Peter Siddle, Doug Bollinger, Clint McKay.

WACA promises 'traditional' pitch Curator Cameron Sutherland hopes to see plenty of life in the new pitch to be used for the third Test between Australia and West Indies at the WACA Ground, Perth. More... Curator promises pitch with pace and bounce for third Test at WACA Ground By Chris Pike December 10, 2009 WACA curator Cameron Sutherland hasn't been totally happy with his pitches in recent years, which have lacked the pace and bounce of traditional Perth wickets. But he hopes to see plenty of life in the new pitch to be used for the third Test between Australia and West Indies at the WACA Ground, Perth, from Wednesday. "The aim is always pace and bounce,"' Sutherland said. "The last couple of years have been fractionally off the mark, but we'll hopefully rectify that this year. "This is a new strip so it will be the first time it's had a first-class fixture on it. "We played some Twenty20s on it last year to bed it down a bit, and we're excited to see how it goes now." Sutherland copped a barrage from Australia captain Ricky Ponting for the pitch that saw South Africa win on the fifth day last season. And the pitch used for Western Australia's first Sheffield Shield match of this season proved lifeless as the Warriors and Queensland Bulls played out a tame draw. But late November saw a pitch with plenty of pace and bounce for the Shield match between the Warriors and New South Wales, and Blues fast bowler Doug Bollinger booked his place in Australia's Test team with match figures of 8-101. Sutherland is confident he now has the mix right. "It was a fraction off the mark in terms of pace last year," he said. "It's a really fine line, as Australia was 3-14 after half-an-hour. If you spice it up a bit more, it might become a two- or three-day Test match and favour the bowlers too much. "I've been happy with the Shield decks so far. Bollinger in the second innings had the `keeper 25 metres back, and he was still taking it head high. "That's certainly the quickest one I've done, but it didn't have much sideways movement." Curtly Ambrose's spell of 7-1 for West Indies against Australia in 1993 lives on in folklore, and Sutherland has had to deal with the pressure of expectation while keeping his employer happy by maximising the length of matches. But he is over that cautiousness now. "Obviously there's a bit of history there with the great West Indian fast bowlers, and even the Australians like (Dennis) Lillee, (Jeff) Thompson and (Glenn) McGrath," Sutherland said. "It's just exciting with a young guy like Kemar Roach coming into the picture adding a bit of spice to it. "It has played (on) my mind in previous years - where I think about the possibility of it being over in two or three days, and that makes you err on the side of caution. "India only went four days, and the Ashes and South Africa were four-and-a-half. "We just need a bit more pace and bounce."

Hussey on his 'last legs' - Warne Shane Warne doubts Australia's Test future includes Michael Hussey and believes the batsman should have asked for a move last month to help out the team. More... Australia v West Indies 2009-10 Hussey on his 'last legs' - Warne Cricinfo staff December 12, 2009 Shane Warne doubts Australia's Test future includes Michael Hussey and believes the batsman should have asked for a move last month to help out the team. The side is under intense scrutiny after they were outplayed by West Indies in the draw in Adelaide and Hussey has looked scratchy even though he has scored 66, 41 and 29 in the series. "He should have put his hand up to open, so Shane Watson could bat in the middle order where he belongs," Warne said in the Herald Sun. "He's on his last legs, and it might be time to inject some youth into his spot." Watson has done well at the top of the order since replacing Phillip Hughes during the Ashes but the selectors want him eventually to slot in at five or six. Hussey is currently at No. 4 and has scored 619 Test runs at 34.38 for the year, even though his one-day form is strong. John Benaud, the former selector, said he would have dropped Hussey for next week's third Test in Perth. "It's time for Hussey to go," Benaud said. "His footwork is terrible. He is totally out of touch. It is not his average that matters when you analyse his form, it's the direction of his form graph. It has been going down for some time."

Hauritz: Siddle will play Spinner Nathan Hauritz believes Peter Siddle will be part of a fired-up Australian attack that will atone for its off-game in Adelaide when it faces the West Indies once again in Wednesday's third Test at the WACA Ground. More... Hauritz: Siddle will play 13/12/2009 9:10 PM Paul Barbieri Spinner Nathan Hauritz believes Peter Siddle will be part of a fired-up Australian attack that will atone for its off-game in Adelaide when it faces the West Indies once again in Wednesday's third Test at the WACA Ground. Siddle only bowled eight overs during the second innings in Adelaide after injuring his hamstring, but the Victorian is confident of playing this week, despite only having a light training session on Sunday morning in Perth in 40-degree conditions. Hauritz, though, felt Siddle was just managing the injury and making sure he's fit for Wednesday's final Test against a West Indies side that will be looking to even the series after the Adelaide draw ensured Australia retained the Sir Frank Worrell trophy. "I think 'Sidds' is just being very cautious at the moment," Hauritz said. "He trained fully the other day and had a full hit-out the day before that, so I think it's just part of the work load leading into the Test." In contrast to Siddle's light workout, fellow Victorian Clint McKay was put through a heavier session on Sunday morning, either as a precautionary measure if Siddle is unavailable, or as a sign Australia will take an extra paceman into this match on what's expected to be a bouncy WACA wicket. If that was the case, then Hauritz's position in the side may be in jeopardy, although this seems unlikely as the 28-year-old former Queenslander has claimed seven wickets in the series so far, including 5-57 in the first Test at the Gabba. But after a long period on the fringes of Australian selection, Hauritz said he'd never be taking selection in the side for granted. "No ... not at all," was his response when asked if he'd solidified his position as Australia's No. 1 spinner. "I would like to have taken a few more wickets in Adelaide. Adelaide was a little bit of a slower wicket and I didn't bowl as well as what I did in Brisbane." "But you know I'm just enjoying playing. It's good for the time being not to be spoken about whether I should or should not be playing (and) I'm happy to keep playing for as long as I can then." Hauritz said he wouldn't be trying any party tricks if he plays on Wednesday and would be relying heavily on the famous Perth sea breeze to give him some extra drift. As a result, his experimental doosra may not be seen in Perth, despite Hauritz previously suggesting it may be ready. But while the doosra may not be seen this time around, Hauritz said the entire attack had plenty of tricks up its sleeve as it looked to come back from a mauling in Adelaide, where the Windies posted 451 in their first innings before a superb unbeaten 165 from Chris Gayle saw them add 317 in their second. "We're doing a fantastic job I think as a bowling group," Hauritz asserted, despite conceding so many runs in the last start. "We did really well in Brisbane and you know, probably seven or eight or nine out of 10 up in Adelaide, but just couldn't put that final nail in the coffin." "(But) the quicks are looking forward to bowling on a faster track out here and that will help them a bit and hopefully I'll be able to get into a bit of rhythm out there as well."

Chanderpaul in doubt for WACA Test with injured finger West Indies batsman Shivnarine Chanderpaul has undergone scans on an injured finger and is in doubt for the third Test against Australia at the WACA in Perth on Wednesday. More... West Indies' Shivnarine Chanderpaul in doubt for WACA Test with injured finger December 14, 2009 West Indies batsman Shivnarine Chanderpaul has undergone scans on an injured finger and is in doubt for the third Test against Australia at the WACA in Perth on Wednesday. Chanderpaul suffered the injury during the drawn second Test in Adelaide and is still experiencing some discomfort. But a West Indies spokesman said the scan was merely a precaution and team doctors expected Chanderpaul to be fit to play. Results of the scan are expected to be revealed either Monday night or Tuesday morning. The 35-year-old, who averages 48.7 in Test cricket, is a key player in the West Indies' youthful line-up and returned scores of 62 and 27 in Adelaide.

Ponting may not return Ricky Ponting remains in doubt to bat again in Australia's first innings in the third Test at the WACA. More... Ponting may not return 17/12/2009 2:26 PM Paul Barbieri at the WACA Ricky Ponting remains in doubt to bat again in Australia's first innings in the third Test at the WACA. Ponting was forced to retire hurt for the first time in his Test career after being struck on his left elbow by a Kemar Roach delivery travelling at 146kph. The skipper bravely batted on with the injury for 42 minutes, making 23 before being forced from the field after two examinations by Australian physio Alex Kountouris. The skipper was later cleared of any break later in the afternoon but whether he bats again in the first innings remains to be seen, as the skipper tested the arm out with an early-morning net session on Thursday, the results of which haven't been revealed. "I'm pretty positive," Ponting told the ABC as he headed to the nets. "I've obviously felt better on some days coming to the ground but I'll know a bit more in a minute." "(It hit me) on the outside of the elbow, like right on the end of the bone, which is where a lot of the tendons and a lot of the muscles join on." "So I think that was why, a lot of the muscles were in my forearm went into a bit of a spasamy sort of thing and tightened up and a lot of the bleeding from where I got hit went down into the muscle." "So it was okay for the first five or 10 minutes after it happened but just kept getting worse from there and it got to the stage where I couldn't function properly." Justin Langer described Ponting's decision to retire as a shock of 'biblical proportions' on the ABC commentary, the skipper laughing off his former team-mate's dig. "I don't want to be batting when we've got other guys out there who could play better than me at the time, so that's why I decided to come off and get as much treatment as I could as early in the day as possibly could and give me a chance to be able to bat early today," he said. "I could have kept batting yesterday but I just wouldn't have been able to hit the ball off the square pretty much so that's when I decided to come off and hopefully I can get out there and play better today."

Controversy mars Aussie victory Australia snared the one wicket needed on Sunday to win the third test against the West Indies at the WACA Ground but it didn't come without controversy. More... Controversy mars Aussie victory 5:30 PM Sunday Dec 20, 2009 Australia snared the one wicket needed on Sunday to win the third test against the West Indies at the WACA Ground but it didn't come without controversy. The West Indies, resuming at 308 for nine, added 15 runs to their overnight total before being bowled out for 323, handing Australia a 35-run win. But the last wicket fell in controversial circumstances. Kemar Roach (17) was given out by umpire Billy Bowden, who deemed the batsman had edged Doug Bollinger (3-71) behind. Roach appealed the decision and even though replays showed no evidence of an edge, TV umpire Asad Rauf gave him out. Australia's win secured a 2-0 triumph in the series. The Windies resumed play perilously placed, needing 51 more runs with just one wicket in hand. And Gavin Tonge (23 not out off 22 balls) threw caution to the wind, slashing away in a bid to whittle off the runs quickly. But the victory target of 359 proved too much, with Roach dismissed in the fourth over of the morning. Had the West Indies reeled in the total, it would have been the eighth highest successful fourth-innings run chase in test history. But it wasn't to be, despite yesterday's best efforts of 26-year-old Narsingh Deonarine (82) and Brendan Nash (65), plus some late hitting from Suleiman Benn (33 off 28 balls). Deonarine and Nash combined for a gutsy 128-run, 293-ball stand, taking the West Indies from 68 for three to 196 for three. But Shane Watson's dismissal of Deonarine sparked the Windies' downfall as the visitors lost wickets regularly. Australia's win erased some of the demons of last summer, when South Africa cruised to 414 for four to snatch a remarkable victory in Perth. Victorian Clint McKay, making his test debut, returned figures of 0-45 and 1-56 and will be replaced by Ben Hilfenhaus for the Boxing Day test against Pakistan if the Tasmanian proves he has overcome a knee injury. Mitchell Johnson, battling gastro, snared 3-67 while Bollinger finished with 3-71. Meanwhile, Australian Watson became the fourth player to be sanctioned for poor behaviour this test following his unsightly celebration of the wicket of West Indies captain Chris Gayle yesterday. Watson screamed manically and aggressively in Gayle's direction after dismissing him before lunch at the WACA ground, and his actions did not escape the attention of ICC match referee Chris Broad. The game's code of conduct states that bowlers must not seek to humiliate a batsman after his dismissal. Umpires Ian Gould and Billy Bowden charged Watson with bringing the game into disrepute under clause 1.8 of the code, the same offence brought against West Indies spinner Sulieman Benn and Australians Brad Haddin and Mitchell Johnson. After pleading guilty to the charge, Watson was handed a fine of 15 per cent of his match fee by Broad. Gayle was named man of the match for his blazing 70-ball ton in the first innings. The Windies skipper was also named man of the series, with his unbeaten 165 in Adelaide helping his side to a draw in that test. Australian skipper Ricky Ponting, who injured his left elbow in the first innings after copping a brutal bouncer from Roach, said he would rest over the next few days before attempting to prove his fitness for the Boxing Day test against Pakistan.