A question about the Islamic headscarf for women

EnterTheVoid

It is a simple custom there was in the past you can say. It is just a choice of a lady if she wants to wear it or not. I have never had anybody in my immediate family and very few in distant relatives whom I have seen wearing the head scarf. I have noticed that people in developed areas dont wear it much. It is more often worn in remote villages compared to cities. I would say it is a custom like the purdah system in Rajasthan. In Rajasthan villages, you will find women covering their face most of the time. Actually these are all customs IMO. It is nothing forced or with much religious meaning but simply followed by some women as a norm.

Even Muslim men have to cover their head while reading Namaz. The veil system and hijab is a part of Hindu culture as well- as Desi pointed out. There was a concept of Asuryampashya (a woman who never sees the sun). They always stayed indoors and whenever they went out, they had to be covered from tip to toe with clothing that can not be penetrated by sunlight. The concept of Ghunghat is still very much alive in the interiors and conservative families. In Christianity also there is a concept of a veil.

I was surprised to read Katrina Kaif's father was a Kashmiri Also surprised at the amount of nudity she gets away with. Others copped a lot more for revealing a lot less. Having said that, she's got a nice rack :winky:
Kat is so sexy.:love: I have watched whole BS movies just for her.:love:

I was surprised to read Katrina Kaif's father was a Kashmiri Also surprised at the amount of nudity she gets away with. Others copped a lot more for revealing a lot less. Having said that, she's got a nice rack :winky:
She's from Ilford, Ilford girls have a rep. Considering the hijab being a cultural thing, I don't get why such a big fuss is made over it like in France and that

Why is it worn ? Is it because of 1. Religion 2. Custom 3. Fashion Can someone please give me a simple YES / NO answer. It is almost impossible to get a straight answer to this, hence I am posing the question here.
1. YES.. 2. No. 3. No.
Even Muslim men have to cover their head while reading Namaz. The veil system and hijab is a part of Hindu culture as well- as Desi pointed out. There was a concept of Asuryampashya (a woman who never sees the sun). They always stayed indoors and whenever they went out, they had to be covered from tip to toe with clothing that can not be penetrated by sunlight. The concept of Ghunghat is still very much alive in the interiors and conservative families. In Christianity also there is a concept of a veil.
Bible says Shave of womens head if they don't cover there head... well mostly they point fingers only to Islam, were as its mandatory for Nuns to cover her head. Kings James Version... "And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonours her head - it is just as though her head were shaved. If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off; and if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or shaved off, she should cover her head. A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. For this reason, and because of the angels, the woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head" (1 Corinthians 11:3-10). Bible: 1 corinthians 11:5-10: "But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head."

It is a simple custom there was in the past you can say. It is just a choice of a lady if she wants to wear it or not. I have never had anybody in my immediate family and very few in distant relatives whom I have seen wearing the head scarf. I have noticed that people in developed areas dont wear it much. It is more often worn in remote villages compared to cities. I would say it is a custom like the purdah system in Rajasthan. In Rajasthan villages, you will find women covering their face most of the time. Actually these are all customs IMO. It is nothing forced or with much religious meaning but simply followed by some women as a norm.
Are you implying Hyderabad is a remote village? :P Forget head scarf, I have seen increase in the burqa wearing in Hyderabad. More so if you go to the old city.

1. YES.. 2. No. 3. No.
I wont completely agree that headscarf or hijab etc. is worn only due to religion. I dont think there is anywhere in the Holy Quran where it is forced women to wear headscarf. I think these things are only mentioned in the hadtihs etc. and I still dont accept hadiths to be any sort of rules or guidelines. I think the Quran should be the only book that should be followed properly. Even the hadiths contradict each other and so I dont accept it as the proper guiding principles. Morevoer, it was written more than a thousand years ago and it is but natural that the social life at that time and today will be a lot different. So, I dont think hadiths can be accepted as the right source of guidance. I think Quran should be the only source of guidance. Anyways I think it is more of a custom rather than religion for which the headscarf is worn. It is not forced by religion and so I dont would not accept that it is due to religion.

Are you implying Hyderabad is a remote village? :P Forget head scarf, I have seen increase in the burqa wearing in Hyderabad. More so if you go to the old city.
Southies are all villagers :P On a serious note, I have never been to Hyderabad but I have been to Chennai a few times and what I saw in Chennai was most women wearing fashionable burqa. I have seen pink, blue, red etc. burqa with flowery, dotted and other prints. Those burqas are more of fashion nowadays. People infact notice the girls and women more in those colorful burqas. Yes in the South I have heard about lot of women wearing though it is changing significantly. It differs from girl to girl. Sania Mirza might not be able to carry a burqa for example and she is also a Hyderabadi Muslim. It actually depends on custom. Even in Delhi, you will find many households especially in areas like Najafgarh, parts of East Delhi etc. where you will find Hindu women also covering their head. Christian Missionaries and nuns also cover their face. So, it is more of a custom IMO rather than religion.

Explain to the layman' date=' one who has no understanding on Islam, the difference between [b']hadith and the quran From what I understand, the quran is the word of god recited through prophet mohammed. What is the hadith ? Google answers are too confusing
Ok. In simple words, Quran is one of the 5 holy books which was passed on to humanity by Allah through the holy prophets. The 5 books also include Bible and Torah (Jewish holy book I suppose). But Quran is the last of the 5 books and Allah told people to follow it over the other 4. Jesus Christ, Moses, Abraham etc. are all our prophets too. Torah was passed through Moses (I am not sure), Bible was through Jesus Christ and Quran was through Prophet Mohammad. So, these are direct guidance of Allah or God. On the other hand, Hadiths dont have much validity IMO as they were simply instructions etc. from Prophets Mohammad. And Hadiths were actually orally passed on through generations and it was written hundreds of years later after Prophet Mohammad's death. So, the instructions and other information could have been grossly misinterpreted through that long period of time. And Allah has not told us to follow any of the Hadiths. So, there is no basis. These Shariyat law etc. were never made or advised by Allah and so all these are man-made things. So, all the customs were simply taken by people of that age and has no proper instructions from God and hence, I dont accept those as the ultimate guidance.
A hypothetical question: Would you ever force your daughter to wear the niqab / hijab / burqa against her will, for whatever reasons ?
None of the members of my family has ever bought a niqab/hijab/burqa or ever worn it so there is no question of even asking them to wear it leave apart forcing it. In fact, we always believe that women are equal to men and all the female members in my family enjoy equal rights and have complete freedom to lead an independent life.