ICF ALL time Test XI: India

SachDan

Just for a change, here are two 'equal' teams to play each other Gavaskar © Gambhir Dravid Vishwanath Hazare Engineer Kapil Dev Zaheer Khan Harbhajan Gupte Chandrashekhar Sehwag Merchant VVS Laxman Tendulkar Azharuddin MS Dhoni © Mankad Srinath Zaheer Kumble Bedi btw Pataudi would probably only JUST make an all time India 3rd XI

Just for a change, here are two 'equal' teams to play each other Gavaskar © Gambhir Dravid Vishwanath Hazare Engineer Kapil Dev Zaheer Khan Harbhajan Gupte Chandrashekhar Sehwag Merchant VVS Laxman Tendulkar Azharuddin MS Dhoni © Mankad Srinath Zaheer Kumble Bedi btw Pataudi would probably only JUST make an all time India 3rd XI
All excellent choices. It is hard to judge Gambhir at this stage of this career. He has had an outstanding last 18 months but its to early to stay whether he will continue this form on. Pataudi is a slightly different case. You are absolutely right that on basic cricketing talent alone its hard to justify his inclusion. However, his contribution to the Team is unique. He was the first captain to really unify the team Under him the team ceased to be composed of Hindu cricketers and Muslim Cricketers, South Indian Cricketers and Punjabi cricketers, but rather lead a team composed of Indian Cricketers. He removed from our game the divide and conquer ethic instilled by the british; the time when the biggest game in Bombay was the Hindus vs the Muslims. He showed that from many we are one. And for this I included him.
Very good picks - though you have picked Zaheer in both teams. I would replace him with Ghavri in team A, and play Prasanna instead of Bedi in team B - it already has a superb left arm spinner in Mankad. I think B edges A. :two_thumbs_up:
Sehwag Gavaskar Dravid Tendulkar Azharuddin Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi(Capt) Dhoni (Wkt) Kapil Dev Zaheer Khan Bedi Harbhajan 12th Man Gundappa Viswanath
Never seen Bedi, Pataudi and Viswanath play and so would be difficult to comment on the three. But the overall team looks right. I never knew Pataudi was a good captain but cricinfo says he was arguably India's best test captain ever .. his average of 34 does not seem to great in batting :hmmm:
Very good picks - though you have picked Zaheer in both teams. I would replace him with Ghavri in team A, and play Prasanna instead of Bedi in team B - it already has a superb left arm spinner in Mankad. I think B edges A. :two_thumbs_up:
yup B would easily be above A... Veeru and Sachin are there, perhaps two of India's best ever test players .. and if the opposition is Australia VVS will also smash the opposition :giggle:

Sehwag Gavaskar Dravid GOD Vishwanath Mankad Kapil Dhoni Kumble Srinath Bedi Kirmani was also a nice pick, but unfortunately for me, the batting of Dhoni is far more pleasing to me and thats why he is in my team.I am picking Srinath instead of Zaheer, because Srinath has impressed me by bowling well on sub continental tracks which Zak hasnt so far. I want a balanced team with two all rounders 2 world class spinners and 6 good batsman

hey guys, really not to argue, bu din't india had a betterwicket keper than dhoni? Most of you put him in the team.. He has prooved to be a good one day batsman, but has done really nothing special or a 40 test matchcareer... Accordingto me.... Can anyone kindlyy reply, has india got a better test wicket keeper than dhoni or not???

Hah!! I actually meant to put L. Amar Singh in for Zak in team A... but Ghavri is the better choice, proved himself over longer after all. Not sure I want to drop Bedi altogether so could swap Chandra and Bedi... Kumble and Chandra are pretty different leggies. Gavaskar © Gambhir Dravid Vishwanath Hazare Engineer Kapil Dev Harbhajan Zaheer Gupte Bedi Sehwag Merchant VVS Laxman Tendulkar Azharuddin MS Dhoni © Mankad Srinath Kumble Ghavri Chandrashekhar ...and tthinking about it, team B is stronger as well...arguably on both bowling and batting fronts- if only marginally. Plus with Sunny, Dravid AND Hazare in the batting itll be a complete go slow for team A. B OTOH got Viru and packed with strokeplayers in the mid order. Still, should be one hell of a match :--D.. edit: Done some rejigging to balance the pace attacks :dontknow:
hey guys, really not to argue, bu din't india had a betterwicket keper than dhoni? Most of you put him in the team.. He has prooved to be a good one day batsman, but has done really nothing special or a 40 test matchcareer... Accordingto me.... Can anyone kindlyy reply, has india got a better test wicket keeper than dhoni or not???
MSD's batting edges out most other contenders- only Engineer who opened for India surpasses him on that front. Mongia, Kirmani and More were probably better pure keepers from what Ive heard.
Syed Kirmani was the best wicket keeper India has produced. He was a decent bat as well, going by the standards of those days, but nowhere near the modern day keepers like Gilchrist, Dhoni, and Sangakkara. To give the team a better balance, Dhoni (averages over 40 and going higher based on current form) must be included in an all time Indian XI.
MSD's batting edges out most other contenders- only Engineer who opened for India surpasses him on that front. Mongia, Kirmani and More were probably better pure keepers from what Ive heard.
Not true. Dhoni is a better batsman. Just because Farrukh opened the innings doesn't make him a better batsman than Dhoni. Quality of keeping is comparable too, Farrukh being better there on count of his reflexes, though Dhoni's stats are much better.