ICF ALL time Test XI: India

SachDan

In a few months time cricinfo will come up with the best Indian X1 ever. Let's see how our picks matches with their team! For a start all posters please start picking a team who you think was the best to have represented India :isalute: Interesting or yet another :fail: thread ? :nervous:

I think thats a corking idea! Cant agree more with the jurors too (though there are plenty of very knowledgeable posters here who could do a fine job)- remains to see whether they can agree to do it. It will be interesting to see who they come up with and why. Like the cricinfo ones they can possibly come up with a list of 'probabales' for each position and pick from that. Dosent have to be done over a period of weeks/days as i imagine that would be hard. It could be just one thread/post- in fact an Article- that would be super.

It's a good idea - we actually had started this with Predator and Sailesh being the selectors and they wrote a few kick a$s articles on it as well, but we never progressed beyond the openers, IIRC, or maybe number 3. I'll try to make out some time to add on to those articles for the XI. My choice would be : Sehwag Gavaskar Dravid Tendulkar Azhar/Laxman Mankad Kapil Dhoni Kumble Srinath Chandra/Prassana

Actually an all time India team is one of the easiest- only a few places are genuinely debateable. The top 4 for instance pick themselves. Then Kapil, Srinath and Kumble. Thats 7 sure fire picks. Im surprised peple are picking Vengsarkar- who for me wont even come close. A MAJOR home track bully - averages low 30's overseas. Vishwanath is a good call but even then I'd say Laxman (for one) would take the no 5 place No one has picked Hazare? The guy is an India legend- two centuries in a test versus Lindwall and Miller; coming in at 0/4 agasint a raging Trueman and scoring a half century. Mankad HAS to be there. And the third spinner should be one of Chandra or Bedi (..though Pras as an offie would give the attack real variety :hmmm:) Keeper comes down to Engineer or MSD... and i know little about how good he was as a Keeper but and decent record as opener gets Engineer in My team Gavaskar © Sehwag Dravid Tendulkar Laxman Engineer Mankad Kapil Dev Kumble Srinanth Bedi Chandra Zaheer MSD Hazare Gambhir A 16 man squad for a home series Also- for kicks an ODI team Tendulkar,Ganguly©,Sehwag,Dravid,Azhar,Yuvraj,MSD,Kapil,Kumble,Srinath,Zaheer/Bhajji

^^^ Your team has two left arm orthodox bowler in Mankad and Bedi. I'd rather go with Chandra or prasanna instead of bedi ' date=' though Chandra is similar to kumble, it is better than having two left arm spinner.[/quote'] Aye youre right I could put Prasanna in there and we have a quality SLA-Leggie-Offie attack. But Chandra was the greater match winner so I reckon it would be him, he's technically not REALLY an orthodox Leggie anyway.