Dan brown- "lost symbol":too esoteric?

youngindia

After the much publicised "da vinci code" which i read almost six years ago,this turned out to be much less gripping. when i read DVC,i read non stop from evening till morning 6am exactly as i remember it. this read turned to be a more phased read ,in between james bond movies. the reason is too many esoteric details about mystical traditions. considering he has a habit of mixing history with fiction, one has to be careful as well. there are some scientific details about ventilation tank,holograhic drives ofcourse and they are more bearable. but the repetitive theme of connection of ancient wisdom with modern science proved too much even for a regualr reader like me. upanishads,vedas and BG all get a metnion this time along with bible,torah etc. it was a page turner for the first half.but later the repetive details started getting overbearing. the villain character is not convincing enough.people get blackmailed into doing things as if there is no breaking point .but rarely we encounter rage. brown does not create a emotional family tragedy story like baldacci.probably not cut out for it and why do the authors want to touch 500 pages at all costs? a 400 page book could have done with excess baggage. 3/5

I have not read it yet, but thanks for the review. It's on my list though. I already have the e-book downloaded. Some of Brown's novels are great- like the DVC, some others are frankly quite ordinary, like the Digital Fortress. DVC looked was a good balance of gyan and thrilling fiction, but he always runs the risk of overdoing one. Seems that is what has happened in this one.