Goa Congress MP says in Rajya Sabha that Russian rape victim in Goa deserved to be raped

ViruRulez

I just switched on a news channel and am really pissed off by this. Goa Congress MP said that the Russian tourist who was raped a few days ago supposedly by a Goa politician deserved to be raped. WTF is this insensitive comment. At first a Goa politician is alleged of raping a Russian tourist girl at India's most popular tourist destination Goa. Then this moronic Congress MP says in parliament that the girl deserved to get raped. Really now Congress is really starting to piss off in various states. Feck Congress and feck these politicians.

A Goa MP's remarks on the rape of a Russian woman in the state evoked strong protests in Rajya Sabha on Tuesday. Congress parliamentarian Shantaram Naik said that if a woman moved with strangers in late hours of the night, her rape case should be treated differently. Naik said that while rape was the most heinous crime, "...an alleged rape of a lady who moves with strangers for days together even beyond middle of the night is to be treated on different footings." Naik's comments invited strong protests from women MPs in the House. Naik also accused the electronic media of blowing the case out of proportion, saying: "If we go by the electronic media's coverage of recent times..., it appears that nothing happens except incidents of rape." Meanwhile, the Goa bench of Bombay High Court cancelled the bail of John Fernandes, the accused in the rape case. The Goa Police had last week moved the high court seeking cancellation of the anticipatory bail granted to Fernandes. In its petition, the police also sought custodial interrogation of Fernandes, saying it was crucial to the investigation.
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/site/Story/75125/India/Outrage+in+RS+as+Goa+MP+justifies+Russian%27s+rape.html

A totally uncalled for remark. He should be punished for saying such things even saying such things sitting in places of authority. However, I agree that women who get intoxicated or wasted in alcohol or drugs in unfamiliar company do put themselves in vulnerable condition where anyone can take advantage of them. And in some cases, consciously or subconsciously, they actually tempt the strangers into taking advantage. And it can happen not only in Goa or India, but in any city in the world. An individual has to be that much responsible. It' not just for women, even a man risks getting robbed, killed or raped. Don't get wasted in unknown company- that's not too difficult to understand. However, it's the government's responsibility to ensure safety for women in places like Goa. Especially in public places.

However' date= I agree that women who get intoxicated or wasted in alcohol or drugs in unfamiliar company do put themselves in vulnerable condition where anyone can take advantage of them. And in some cases, consciously or subconsciously, they actually tempt the strangers into taking advantage. And it can happen not only in Goa or India, but in any city in the world. An individual has to be that much responsible. It' not just for women, even a man risks getting robbed, killed or raped. Don't get wasted in unknown company- that's not too difficult to understand.
The only difference is that in other parts of the world most men would not take advantage of such a situation. It is called being a Gentleman.

The only difference is that in other parts of the world most men would not take advantage of such a situation. It is called being a Gentleman.
Dont agree with it at all. In fact, rape and sex related crimes are a lot more in the US compared to India. There is no such GENTLEMAN in the west if you mean that. At least Indians on an average barring a few are much more civilized than the US people in respecting women and not taking advantage of them.

Dont agree with it at all. In fact' date=' rape and sex related crimes are a lot more in the US compared to India. There is no such GENTLEMAN in the west if you mean that. At least Indians on an average barring a few are much more civilized than the US people in respecting women and not taking advantage of them.[/quote'] First US is not the only country in the World apart from India. Second, the number of rape cases (reported + unreported) is far greater in India as compared to the west or even the Middle east. The arab countries are a lot more safer for a woman than India.

Dont agree with it at all. In fact' date=' rape and sex related crimes are a lot more in the US compared to India. There is no such GENTLEMAN in the west if you mean that. At least Indians on an average barring a few are much more civilized than the US people in respecting women and not taking advantage of them.[/quote'] Both invalid generalizations. There are scums and "Gentlemen" everywhere.

Both invalid generalizations. There are scums and "Gentlemen" everywhere.
I said very specifically "most" men. I stick to what I said and it is quite valid.

First US is not the only country in the World apart from India. Second' date=' the number of rape cases (reported + unreported) is far greater in India as compared to the west or even the Middle east. The arab countries are a lot more safer for a woman than India.[/quote'] The number of rape cases (reported + unreported) in US or in the West is far more compared to India if you calculate per capita basis. And both US/West and India have reported as well as non-reported cases. The number of date-rapes and drunk rapes are far more in the US/West than in India and most of them are not reported. Just check out the campus rape and date-rape figures in the US and UK.
Both invalid generalizations. There are scums and "Gentlemen" everywhere.
I agree. But I did not like the generalization which was not fair and not true at all and hence replied. :winky:

The number of rape cases (reported + unreported) in US or in the West is far more compared to India if you calculate per capita basis. And both US/West and India have reported as well as non-reported cases. The number of date-rapes and drunk rapes are far more in the US/West than in India and most of them are not reported. Just check out the campus rape and date-rape figures in the US and UK.
Dude, all the things you are talking about is very specific to the US. Date rape in Europe? Campus Rape in Europe? These things are extremely rare, I assure you.

yeh Gunner has been on the prowl and had very little luck :giggle: :nervous:
:whack::whack::whack::whack::whack: :poink::poink::poink::poink::poink:

ok my two cents worth!! 1. If he has admitted rape, the fact that he has publicly announced that she deserved it - why hasnt he been prosecuted?? 2. May be not the most important factor here but does he realise how much damage he has done to the tourist industry?? what woman is going to feel safe holidaying in Goa after knowing that? or men for that matter. 3. To an extent we all have a responsibility to look out for ourselves no matter where in the world we are so to get stupidly drunk and not have sense of what one is doing to themselves or others is not exactly my idea of being responsible - and no one can expect anyone else to take that responsibility for them or their own actions 4. In relation to crime rates, number of reported incidents of rape etc i dont think anyone cam measure the number of unreported cases (stupidly because they're not reported duh!) so i dont think its fair to say it happens more in india less anywhere else etc... also u need to consider that the victims often blame themselves and dont come forward to make allegations because they feel ashamed perhaps? 5. what pig the man should have his D!£% cut off!!

ok my two cents worth!! 1. If he has admitted rape, the fact that he has publicly announced that she deserved it - why hasnt he been prosecuted?? 2. May be not the most important factor here but does he realise how much damage he has done to the tourist industry?? what woman is going to feel safe holidaying in Goa after knowing that? or men for that matter. 3. To an extent we all have a responsibility to look out for ourselves no matter where in the world we are so to get stupidly drunk and not have sense of what one is doing to themselves or others is not exactly my idea of being responsible - and no one can expect anyone else to take that responsibility for them or their own actions 4. In relation to crime rates, number of reported incidents of rape etc i dont think anyone cam measure the number of unreported cases (stupidly because they're not reported duh!) so i dont think its fair to say it happens more in india less anywhere else etc... also u need to consider that the victims often blame themselves and dont come forward to make allegations because they feel ashamed perhaps? 5. what pig the man should have his D!£% cut off!!
Very good post CG. I fully agree with all the points. :two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up: