Maruti Ritz vs Maruti Estilo (India)

fineleg

Are you looking for a petrol or a diesel? I recently bought an i20. It's the best allround hatchback out there. The jazz is good too, but its very very overpriced. The ritz looks like crap from the back, but the petrol engine(k series) is good, while the diesel is the MJD by fiat. It is def a much better buy than the zen estilo which is just a modded wagon-r. Technology wise and space wise the ritz is much better. The punto is a good drivers car, but there is just no space at the back for the rear passenger. Plus FIAT's are now serviced by TATA mechanics who dont know jack about the cars. The swift is a nice car too, but the rear seat gets claustrophobic, and its far too common on Indian roads. The i20 is a little pricey, but it has all the creature comforts and space you would need. Ive been using one for about 6 months and its quite good. Its more of a refined family car than an out and out drivers car. If you're not looking to buy soon, I'd advise you to wait till 2010. The chevrolet beat is launching in the first week of jan, and then comes the VW polo (which I'm really looking forward to). Click here for a detailed review of the chevrolet beat. Edit - why arent you looking at the i10? Its a wonderful car. If this a car for your parents, then i10 is a good choice because it has the easiest ingress/egress of the lot, as well as an automatic transmission option, which is very convenient in indian traffic.

Thank you holy. I am not in India, so I do not know much about these Indian models. What you wrote was helpful. My Dad is looking at it -PETROL engine. The thing is he is very much used to a Maruti Zen for many years and while he has heard good about i10 also, he is biased in favor of Maruti. He knows the Maruti dealer and service guys for many years. He has used Maruti 800, and then Zen and comfortable with it. The newly launched Maruti Estilo (it is No Longer called Zen Estilo) has K-series engine. The older Zen Estilo does not have it. He is not so bothered about "shape styling" of the car. I would be, but then for him the engine, specs and familiarity is more important. He does not care so much about the color (prefers 'traditional color') or looks, and my Mom is not too bothered about it. She is like, as long as Dad picks a car he likes, she is cool :cool: He is trying to decide between newly launched Estilo and Ritz. http://news.infibeam.com/blog/news/2009/08/26/maruti_suzuki_launches_new_estilo_with_k_series_engine.html

Leading the advanced technological features on the new Estilo are a new engine and a transmission system. Equipped with the popular 998cc K-series engine, the Estilo delivers a superior fuel efficiency of 18.2 kmpl (ARAI test results). This BSIV compliant engine makes the Estilo the second car in Maruti Suzuki stable that meets the BSIV norms much ahead of the effective date, April 2010. The new Estilo comes with new efficient transmission technology and advanced 'Detent pin' gear shift mechanism for smooth and precise gear shift feeling for the customers. The Maruti Suzuki new Estilo houses the K-series 'K10B' engine under the hood. The 998cc three-cylinder engine delivers a power of 68 PS@ 6200rpm and a higher torque of 90Nm @ 3500rpm. The improved engine technology enables more power, low NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness) and the lighter weight of the engine helps to increase the fuel efficiency with lower emissions. The new Estilo comes with ARAI certified fuel efficiency of 18.2 kmpl. Technical highlights of the K10B engine include DOHC (Double Overhead Cam shaft) with offset crank shaft, resulting in better volumetric efficiency, improved power and FE, high compression ratio, plastic intake manifolds for reducing weight and suction losses, Smart Distributor-less ignition (SDLi) system with dedicated plug top coils and advanced injector for superior atomization. The engine oil in the new technology K10B engine is required to be changed only after 10,000 km thus lowering the running cost.

The ritz has 1200 cc K-series engine so more powerful than the 1000cc K-series for the estilo Ritz is more expensive than Estilo
So with regards to the zen, there are 2 generations The original Zen, (which I suspect your dad had, since he loved it, and this is the only zen worthy of love) MHV_Maruti_Zen_02.jpg Then there is the Zen estilo which was utter crap, a rare failure of a car for maruti (even after having the zen tag) dec02_1.jpg And now there is the new Estilo, which is just the same as the earlier Zen Estilo with a few cosmetic changes and a new engine. maruti-estilo.jpg Now the new estilo does come with the K series engine, but its a modified one of the one in the ritz which is converted to a 3-cylinder. I personally would go for a wagon-R rather than the zen, simply because that car has much more space, presence and features (CNG engine?) and is a proven car(higher resale) as compared to the estilo which is a revamped version of a total flop. So if your choices are Maruti only, then Ritz is the one to go for. Better engine(4 cylinder v 3 cylinder),more space, more features, etc. Basically the estilo is 1 class lower than the ritz. So now the basic contention would be how much you want to spend. There is a difference of almost a lac between the base models.

You have seen the Swift. You know it has won many accolades. You would have heard that Maruti Suzuki has sold close to 100,000 units already. So let us cut to the chase – how does the diesel version fare? In one word, it is brilliant. Want more words? Read on. The Mumbai-Pune Expressway was relatively empty as I gave the throttle the boot. I had got behind the wheel of a silky silver Swift and turned the ignition on only thirty minutes back. It did feel strange to hear the familiar diesel clatter from under a Swift bonnet. And it was with a funny smile laden with apprehension that I had taken off into suburban traffic. But now was the time to find out the truth. The Swift petrol can do 165 kph given a decent stretch of road. Can the diesel match it? The revs climbed ever so steadily into the 4000 rpm mark in fifth gear (diesels produce their top whack in overdrive unlike petrol powered cars) as my eyes made a mental note of a truck in the middle lane some kilometres ahead. 140, 145, 150... sure, the Expressway was running down an incline and I had the assistance of the greatest force on earth – gravity. 155 and I could now make out that the truck was an eighteen-wheeler carrying something really toxic. The red needle sensed my urgency and touched the 160 kph mark. An indicated 160 kph! I lifted off in time to read ‘Danger Liquefied Ammonia Highly Inflammable Horn OK Please’ in bold. Mission accomplished, we soon turned off the Expressway and on to a bit of mountain road that would eventually lead us to Aamby Valley at Lonavla, where the drive would end and we would retire for the night. Aha, winding tarmac. Now we are talking. Diesels do not like serpentine roads with hairpin climbs, right? Some of you who would have downshifted your way up to hill stations would agree. It is a job best left to taxi drivers to tackle, since trying to find the last ounce of power in every gear is not exactly a rewarding experience. Mostly you end up with belching smoke and burnt clutches. Not so with the Swift diesel. I was carrying a good amount of speed into corners and when I was faced with the above-mentioned hairpin climbers, I simply slotted the car into second and powered through. Not once, but many times. The Swift had passed the second test in my mind. With flying colours, if I may add. So everything is hunky dory with the Swift diesel, right? Hmm, well I would have agreed except for the fact that there is a degree of turbo-lag one has to get used to (you better get used to lots of things diesel – this car is powered by a modern motor but it still is not as refined or potent as a comparable petrol engine yet). So if the question is whether the Swift has taken to diesel power well, then the answer is a resounding yes. We have not subjected the new baby from Maruti Suzuki to a proper road test, but when the engineers tell you in hushed tones that it can stretch a litre of the cheap and sticky fuel to 24 kpl on the highway, you slam the tea-cup hard on the saucer and stare at the chap. Allow 4 kpl to exuberance and another 4 kpl to real world traffic and that will still leave you with 16 kpl – which is more than good enough for me to sprint to a showroom. I am sure a lot of fellow Indians will beat me to that, still. Let us take a close look at the engine then. You, our already informed reader, would certainly know that this is a Fiat-derived engine. But what you need to know is that it is made in India – most of it, at least. And that means Suzuki can price the car the way they want. And that to me sounds like a major threat to Tata Motors. I really don’t want to draw parallels here, but still I can’t help but say that this Swift is a whole generation ahead of the diesel cars from Tata. Enough of comparisons, back to the oil-burner. For a 1300cc engine, the motor packs quite a punch – 75 bhp at 4000 rpm and lots of torque – 19 kgm at 2000 rpm. Maruti Suzuki calls it the DDiS (Diesel Direct Injection System) while Fiat would call it JTD (Jetronic Turbo Diesel). This is a common-rail fed multi injection diesel that manages five injections per cycle and that means a cleaner engine with better volumetric efficiency and better noise levels. And yes, that also makes the Swift diesel perform almost like a petrol car. Almost. This motor should propel the car to 100 kph in under 15 seconds – very good for a car in its league. So it can sprint well, run fast and can stretch a litre of fuel. How about the rest of the package? Suzuki never believed in diesel motors so much since it didn’t make sense to have already economical small cars powered by even more economical diesel engines. Thanks to our developing market economy, artificial pricing of fuel that has refused go and a brief marriage between GM and Fiat, Suzuki now has its own diesel engine plant at Manesar, Haryana. GM and Fiat have split ways since then but the diesel motors made by the plant will be exported to Europe , where they will power Suzukis to begin with, followed, with luck, by Fiat itself. All these undercurrents meant that the Swift was developed with the Fiat JTD diesel in mind. Sure, the engine received some modifications under Suzuki (more power for instance), but it is a natural fit for the Swift. What is also important to note is that the gearbox is brand new for the Swift DDiS and the gearing is spot-on for Indian driving conditions. The enormous torque of the engine (for its size) and the way it spreads it flat across the rev-range ensures extreme driveability. Never ever have I driven a small diesel car without having to think about gear changes. Really. The ride height of the car remains the same as that of the petrol, thanks to a stiffer damper-spring combination. And in the process, the ride quality has improved substantially over the petrol model. It becomes very apparent when driving over a series of potholes. The additional weight tipped towards the nose of the car means the Swift diesel does not have the same handling edge of the petrol car. It is a bit more hesitant to turn-in and add to that a dose of torque-steer and you will get the picture. Again, these remarks are in comparison to the remarkably agile petrol car and should be taken in that light only.Do not expect the engine to be silent though. What you need to know is that things get quieter when the engine warms up and even more so at cruise speeds. Currently the noise and vibration levels are kept at bay without additional insulation and thick foam linings. Crisp gear shifts remind you of the petrol model and light controls make driving easy. To begin with, the Swift DDiS will be available in two formats – the LDi version gets airconditioning but misses out on power windows, central locking, tachometer, day-night rear view mirror, and hear this out, vanity mirror (Rs 5?) and rear head restraints (and we thought it was part of the safety kit). The rather unfortunately named VDi (what were they thinking?) version is comprehensively equipped, though we thought the automatic climate control unit from the petrol ZXi model would have been a nice inclusion. The VDi version can be ordered with the ABS option while airbags are not available. Maruti officials who didn’t want to be named clearly suggested that it is not their job to educate people when it comes to automotive safety. You see, Swift ZXi sales were tapering fast and the company was not in a mood to absorb the costs of airbags. We think they should have offered it at least as an option. In short, we were quite impressed by the car. It may have been an engine developed in Italy but it has found a perfect match in a sensational small hatch from Japan. We are yet to hear from Maruti Suzuki on the price front but we do know that it will match the Tata Indigo, if not the Indica V2. Watch this space.
suzuki-swift-1.jpg

Why not go for Swift? I think MS Swift is a better option for a price range of 4.5-5 lakh rupees' date=' IMO Swift has got a decent engine, a good solid body and looks good too :nice:[/quote'] Swift engine is a modified engine from the esteem. Good engine, old tech. The new swift will come with the k-series engine. Looks are subjective.. (Although I like the looks as well). But the swift rattles like hell. Its a driver's car, aimed at youngsters, but its not as comfortable as the ritz.