Democrats

Rajiv

Re: Democrats This was one of the greatest days in my life, Rajeev. I can't even express in words how I felt when Bush won the second time--finally, ... ... finally Americans are waking up to the fact that the Republicans are incompetent governors. Social security, Afghanistan, Iraq, Katrina, and yes ... even the economy. Not to mention the debt. That said, ... I can't imagine that immigration policies will change very much except for the southern border thing. I think (with regard to Indians and NRIs) the issuance of H1, H1B, and other student visas is gonna stay at its astronomical levels. The Dems stand on immigration with respect to Indians and Indian students is pretty much the same as the Republicans. (The differences arises with respect to Mexico and Latin American illegal influx). So, I'm just kinda sounding-off here, but my opinion is that not much will change.

Re: Democrats Rajeev, as I thought: http://money.cnn.com/2006/11/10/magazines/business2/election_tech.biz2/index.htm?cnn=yes Tech politics: Friends up on Capitol Hill From 'net neutrality' to foreign worker visas, the new Congress may be the most technology-friendly in history. By Chris Taylor, Business 2.0 Magazine senior editor November 13 2006: 10:20 AM EST Sign up for the Future Boy e-mail newsletter (Business 2.0 Magazine) -- Amid all the post-election noise, Democrats haven't been subtle about their top priorities once they take control of Congress: boost minimum wage, reform Medicare, rescind the 2001 tax cuts, and clean up "the swamp" of Washington lobbying. With such a teeming legislative plate, the tech industry might be feeling like table scraps right about now. It shouldn't. The 110th Congress could be the most technology-friendly in history. Here's why: Yes, Nancy Pelosi, the presumptive new Speaker of the House, hails from one of the most liberal parts of the country, San Francisco. But she also represents a city that's near the heart of America's tech sector. A year ago this month, after extensive meetings with VCs and entrepreneurs, Pelosi unveiled an "innovation agenda" that called, among other things, for broadband access for all Americans, whether it comes via Wi-Fi, Wi-Max or a fixed line by 2010. Pelosi's pledge surprised no one inside the Beltway or Silicon Valley. Lobbyists say Pelosi is close to Silicon Valley Democrats Anna Eshoo and Zoe Lofgren. Eshoo's constituents include Steve Jobs, David Filo and most of Hewlett-Packard (Charts). Lofgren, meanwhile, represents the high tech hub of San Jose. "We are optimistic when it comes to Democrats and high tech," Bill Archey, President of the American Electronics Association, the largest technology lobbying group in the US., told the San Francisco Chronicle this week. "To use a Silicon Valley term, they tend to get it." Hungry for H-1Bs One issue that's near and dear to Silicon Valley's heart: H-1B visas. These permits allow foreign engineers, programmers and other highly-skilled professionals work in the United States for three to six years. The base number of visas issued each year for skilled workers is capped at 65,000, which is a huge concern for tech giants, like Intel and Hewlett-Packard, which have an insatiable appetite for engineers and programmers from India and China. The H1-B ceiling once approached 200,000 before Congress started curtailing visa applications in recent years. Legislative efforts to raise the ceiling have failed, including two attempts in the current Congress that were defeated amid the broader debate over immigration. Republican leaders didn't want to appear soft on the issue. Now that Rep. George Miller (D-California) is likely to chair the Education and Workforce committee, tech companies are optimistic the H-1B cap will now be increased. Another hot-button tech issue likely to get resolved: net neutrality. This is a complicated battle with telecoms and the cable industry allied in one corner, and consumer advocates in the other. The telecoms want to charge premium rates to allow customers to navigate the Internet at top speeds. Opponents like Intel (Charts), Microsoft, eBay (Charts) and Google (Charts) contend that high-speed lanes would create a digital divide between the rich and poor - and, ultimately, stifle innovation. A proposal outlawing high-speed toll booths failed in the House earlier this year, and met with a heartbreaking 11-11 tie in the Senate's telecom committee. But now that both House and Senate are in Democratic hands, it's far less likely telecoms and cable companies will succeed. Nancy Pelosi is a staunch supporter of net neutrality, as is Michigan Democrat John Dingell, who called the telecom's plan "private taxation of the Internet." Dingell will chair the telecom committee in the house, and told reporters on Wednesday that "we're going to have to address the question of network neutrality." The privacy party Of course, the Democrats aren't always pro-technology. How can they be, when most Hollywood campaign contributions wind up in Democratic coffers? The major studios and Silicon Valley have long been at loggerheads over legislation like the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). The 1998 law imposed a vice-like protective grip on Hollywood's intellectual property by making certain software illegal if used - even in theory - to circumvent copyright protection. The DMCA was a bipartisan piece of legislation. And now some Democrats want to go further to help the entertainment industry. Rep. Howard Berman, a Hollywood Democrat who may end up as chair of the subcommittee on intellectual property, once sponsored legislation that would have let the studios and record labels legally hack into peer-to-peer networks like LimeWire and disrupt them. The proposal, which failed, gave computer security experts nightmares. Here's where this debate gets interesting: Berman isn't the only contender for that subcommittee post. Rick Boucher, a pro-Silicon Valley Democrat, may get the appointment. In contrast to Berman, Boucher has indicated he'll try to soften the DMCA. Boucher believes privacy trumps copyright. Indeed, Democrats are fast becoming the party of privacy. Fourteen bills related to technological privacy - including one that would have imposed tougher sentences for spyware makers and another that would have required companies to disclose when consumer data was stolen or misused - failed in the last two years. Now pro-privacy stalwarts like Democratic Senators Dianne Feinstein (California) and Patrick Leahy (Vermont), and Rep. Ed Markey (D-Mass.) are likely to push their cause with a vengeance. The takeaway this week for top-tier tech companies, online privacy advocates, and believers in equal Internet access for all? The future looks very bright. At least until 2008.

Re: Democrats

For india republicans are better bet. Dems have bloated sense of pakistan hyphenation viz a viz india.
That's because Dems are more liberal--I don't mean to be a simpleton here but--liberals accept people more readily. Conservative republicans tend to put everything into a 'Good' or 'Bad,' 'Holy' or 'Evil' category. But, it is the Democrats that are better for India--they might see the good in Pakistan that even Indians don't wish to see, (too many Indians just want some kind of 'Final War' and 'settle all scores') but this doesn't mean they downgrade India. Remember, they will respect and accept India for what it is--not use it for their own gain. This is EXACTLY why even an Evangelical like Fmr. Pres. Jimmy Carter will build houses for free (with his own hands--how many Indians do this kind of work for their countrymen) but will never proselytize. Conservative Christians here in the U.S. don't even accept Hinduism as a religion--they think of it more as a polytheist pagan cult akin to a sex cult (I'm not kidding). And they view their acceptance of Indians or Hindu-Americans as proof of their magnanimity (we'll even allow pagans to live among us). Liberal Dems accept Indians for whatever they are. Trust me, ... ... it's more difficult with Dems., but they are better and more tolerant. And as proof, ... ... ... MARK MY WORDS: The nuke deal WILL GO THROUGH. Yes, Republicans are kind of blindly toeing the line, whereas Dems are offereing resistance, ... but even the Democrats will see the light (they already are beginning to shift) and their approval means more to me than a Conservative approval.

Guest dada_rocks

Re: Democrats Well meaning no-gooder that's what dems are even when they mean well they do nothing and please spare me from Jimmy carter or this and that doing some PR exercise when they are not in power. Detail me on things they did while they were in power...... Somethign like nuclerar power deal would never even have been contemplatyed with dems at helm . And we hindus are used to being caleld pagans we have 150 million of that in our own house it doesn't bother our a$$ . anyway I was talking about INdia a republican evenglist can spew whatever venom he/she wants in texas but nature of emotional people is when they mean well they deliver unlike well-meaning liberal no-gooders. when I say pakistan-hyphenation i mean every policy change viz a viz india being seen through pakistan's repsonse prism. this is what dems stick to religiously republicans if they think it;s in theitr interest they throw that prism same can;t be said about dems.. CLinont is case inb point he despite all nautankibazi did jack $hit and look at bushy even when he needs pakis he went through with what he believes apropos India. I like passionate people no good has ever come from liberal fence-sitters ...

Guest dada_rocks

What exactly did GWB achieve other than letting his corporate bosses and buddies steal trillions of dollars. Show me something he did for environment or for real war on terror.
My defence is india centric policy of US admin, what he does in usa is not being factored in.

My defence is india centric policy of US admin' date=' what he does in usa is not being factored in.[/quote']Republicans have screwed India lot more than democrats historically with their strong ties and aid to Pakistan. One deal doesn't erase the history.

Re: Democrats Hmm, ... where do I even begin as a reply?? :shrug: Does ICF have a "Fox News" post of the week ... cause I think I found it. Let's see: -JFK supported India with arms against the China in '62. -Nixon befriended and diplomatically, economically, and militarily supported Pak. to counter-balance India. -Regan did nothing as India was considered to be in the 'Communist Bloc' ... actually ... -Regan's Admin supported the Khalistan movement (separatists were trained in New Mexico in insurgent activities) -Clinton was the one who BEGAN THIS NEW ERA OF FRIENDSHIP (not Bush or the Republicans ... I laugh and shirk at the thought) ... ... this AFTER India went nuclear publicly in 1998. -And a vocal opponent of the nuke deal Joe Biden (D-Delaware) is now it's biggest proponent. (Why don't you do a Google search to find out how many Republicans are against it--and balance that with you Bush-love affair).