Gambhir maintains top spot

Reaching the top is the easier part, staying there is much harder. The real challenge for Gambhir starts now. If he fires at the top, combined with the firepower we have always had in our middle order, it will be tough for anyone to beat us.

And thats truly amazing for India. He's played 25 tests, has 2271 runs at an average of 54.07, with 6 hundreds, which includes a double century against Australia and 10 fifties. Furthermore, his opening partner arguably the best opening batsman since Gavaskar (for India - perhaps soon for the world too?). Coming back to Gambhir, from 2004 - 2008 June, his record was 14 tests with only 692 runs at an average of 32.95. Since then, he's played 11 tests, and has scored 1579(!) runs at an average of 75.19 with 5 hundreds. That is a remarkable improvement. He's been excellent in first class matches during this period as well. One would only hope that the other guys would have a similar work ethic when they are discarded from the national team after initial failures. I hope that he continues with his form against the Sri Lankans later this year, and against South Africa early next year.
Truly impressive. I rate his form as one of the most crucial aspect for India's strong standing in international cricket in recent years.

Gautam Gambhir wins another award Gautam Gambhir wins another award Gautam Gambhir won the Ceat International Cricketer of the Year award for his performance with the bat in the 2008-09 season. Gambhir, who has notched seven hundreds in his last nine Tests including four in the last four, also won the Test Batsman of the Year award at a function held on Sunday night. Gambhir's India and Delhi opening mate Virender Sehwag won the ODI Batsman of the Year award. The Test Bowler of the Year award was bagged by Australia's left-arm pacer Mitchell Johnson. Former spin great Erapalli Prasanna was given the Lifetime Achievement award while Australia got the Team of the Year award. Indian off-spinner Harbhajan Singh was given a special felicitation award for completing 300 wickets in Tests. The International Spirit of Cricket award went to Sri Lanka batsman Thilan Samaraweera who got injured in the Lahore terror attack in March while his compatriot Ajantha Mendis bagged the ODI Bowler of the Year award. Cricket legend Sunil Gavaskar said at the function that these ratings are accurate as indicated by the fact that some of the previous International Cricketer of the Year award winners were modern day greats Brian Lara (West Indies), Muttiah Muralitharan (Sri Lanka) and Ricky Ponting (Australia). "Ceat Cricket Rating strives to focus on identifying the right talent. The ratings are pretty much accurate as you can see some of the modern greats like Brian Lara, Muttiah Muralitharan, Ricky Ponting etc winning the Ceat International Cricketer of the Year in the past," he said. While Gambhir got Rs 5 lakh for being named as the International Cricketer of the Year, the other individual awards were worth Rs 2 lakh each except Samaraweera's which was worth Rs one lakh. Prasanna received Rs 5 lakh. The Australian team was given Rs 10 lakh. Gambhir said that his contribution towards India's Test series victory in New Zealand, after more than three decades, had given him a lot of satisfaction. "I was happy to do something for India winning a Test series in New Zealand after 32 years," said Gambhir who batted for ten hours while making the match saving 137 at Napier in the second Test again New Zealand during India's visit between February and April. Gambhir said that he himself was surprised that he could bat for so long. "I myself was surprised that I could play a long innings as I am not a patient guy," he added. The award winners: International Cricketer of the Year and Test Batsman of the Year - Gautam Gambhir (India) ODI Batsman of the Year - Virender Sehwag (India) Test Bowler of the year - Mitchell Johnson (Australia) ODI Bowler of the year - Ajantha Mendis (Sri Lanka) Spirit of Cricket Award - Thilan Samaraweera (Sri Lanka) 300 Wickets Felicitation Award - Harbhajan Singh (India) Lifetime Achievement Award - EAS Prasanna (India).

Gambhir maintains top spot Gambhir maintains top spot India opener Gautam Gambhir had his numero uno status intact in the latest ICC ranking for the Test batsmen. However, Virendra Sehwag has slipped a place to sixth. Australia's vice-captain Michael Clarke, who hammered a brilliant 166 in the first innings of the third Test against Pakistan at Hobart, jumped six places to replace Sehwag in the fifth position. Senior India batsman Rahul Dravid dropped two places to 14th position with Sachin Tendulkar following him. VVS Laxman remained at 17. In the bowlers ranking list, off-spinner Harbhjan Singh held on to his sixth position. The other Indian bowler in the top-20 list is Zaheer Khan (12). India remain number one in ICC Test Championship table with South Africa and Australia following at number two and three place respectively.